Siem Reap Expats Leila Da Cunha and Julio Soares Martins Arrested for Robbing Chris Black from Koh Rong Island

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Siem Reap Expats Leila Da Cunha and Julio Soares Martins Arrested for Robbing Chris Black from Koh Rong Island

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

They look downright annoying.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Siem Reap Expats Leila Da Cunha and Julio Soares Martins Arrested for Robbing Chris Black from Koh Rong Island

Post by EdinWigan »

Username Taken wrote:Look like Leila is from Wigan. Is that EdinWigan? If not, Ed do you know her?

No, I don't know her. Wigan has a population of 300k+ and I actually do not live in Wigan, I just say that :)

:stir:
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Kissing cousins? I think I can rehabilitate her given time. Which she now may have. :good:
ChrisBlack
Tourist

Post by ChrisBlack »

Hey guys, I'd like to clear this up for everyone.

I'm Chris, I live on Koh Rong and I was the guy that apprehended the 2. They had stolen money from Downtown Guesthouse Siem Reap from the owner Mark. They had been working there and claimed to be owed money. What they did not understand was that if you take something without permission, even if YOU feel you are owed it; this is still stealing. They were caught on CCTV taking cash out of the safe/till box and returning a couple of passports to guests who left without paying. The total robbed was about $1000.

Mark contacted a number of business owners in Cambodia and word reached me here. A few hours later my staff and I found them sat a short distance from our guesthouse. Mark talked with the Siem Reap police and I talked with the island police. I was told to get them and so me and an officer did.

The reason they are inside now is because when they were being questioned and arrested, they kicked up such a fuss about infringements on their human rights etc. and were so abrasive and rude to the Cambodian police that they dug themselves into their hole instead of being adults and admitting what they had done. Honesty and respect are very good policies and extremely important here in Cambodia. Nobody taught them that.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Siem Reap Expats Leila Da Cunha and Julio Soares Martins Arrested for Robbing Chris Black from Koh Rong Isla

Post by General Mackevili »

ChrisBlack wrote:Hey guys, I'd like to clear this up for everyone.

I'm Chris, I live on Koh Rong and I was the guy that apprehended the 2. They had stolen money from Downtown Guesthouse Siem Reap from the owner Mark. They had been working there and claimed to be owed money. What they did not understand was that if you take something without permission, even if YOU feel you are owed it; this is still stealing. They were caught on CCTV taking cash out of the safe/till box and returning a couple of passports to guests who left without paying. The total robbed was about $1000.

Mark contacted a number of business owners in Cambodia and word reached me here. A few hours later my staff and I found them sat a short distance from our guesthouse. Mark talked with the Siem Reap police and I talked with the island police. I was told to get them and so me and an officer did.

The reason they are inside now is because when they were being questioned and arrested, they kicked up such a fuss about infringements on their human rights etc. and were so abrasive and rude to the Cambodian police that they dug themselves into their hole instead of being adults and admitting what they had done. Honesty and respect are very good policies and extremely important here in Cambodia. Nobody taught them that.
You made a citizen's arrest?

Are they locked up right now and did Mark ever get the money back?

Thanks for clarification.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

ChrisBlack wrote:The reason they are inside now is because when they were being questioned and arrested, they kicked up such a fuss about infringements on their human rights etc. and were so abrasive and rude to the Cambodian police that they dug themselves into their hole instead of being adults and admitting what they had done. Honesty and respect are very good policies and extremely important here in Cambodia. Nobody taught them that.
Thanks for the update Chris always nice to have the complete story.

Shame there's no safe space for them to retreat to in Cambodia. I would have liked to have been there to see the floor show tbh. Nothing funnier than a millenial being educated in how the world truly works.
julioxsm
Tourist

Post by julioxsm »

ChrisBlack wrote:The reason they are inside now is because when they were being questioned and arrested, they kicked up such a fuss about infringements on their human rights etc. and were so abrasive and rude to the Cambodian police that they dug themselves into their hole instead of being adults and admitting what they had done. Honesty and respect are very good policies and extremely important here in Cambodia. Nobody taught them that.
To actually clear things up. im Julio the said thief.
Chris you got paid 1000$ to arrest us did whatever was told because he was being paid and didnt even think to ask even though he lives in country long enough to know that what is said and the truth are very far apart but why care about two random people when dollars are flying in right chris? the teacher and other hostel owners on the island you reside helped us the most they could because they arent selfish and know how things are.

Yes they have CCTV of us taking money and passports because i worked at that hostel and that was part of my job. the passports i "stole" were mine and my cousins and are our property. the money also belonged to us. Mark paid the police to arrest us and later paid MY lawyer to imprison us. because money holds more power than truth as we all know and how Chris knows all too well.

We spent some time in prison because Mark was doing all he could to make it so and was asking for 10.000$ from us. yes 10k! instead kind and humble cambodians who worked at the courthouse saw the injustice being committed and helped us get out and leave. Mark got no money, Got banned from his own establishment and from owning one for the next 5 years for his wrongdoings and his rude and abrasive attitude.

i had lived in cambodia for a year and know the customs well and was trying to reach those around me for help in the corruption that was engulfing us. So chris next time something of this sort happens think about where you live and how things are run and how you can act upon the situation instead of passing blame and throwing people into said hole without any concern.

I still love this country because despite some peoples harm as there is always another that will extend a helping hand.
Julio Martins
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

glad thats cleared up then.....
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

SinnSisamouth wrote:glad thats cleared up then.....
Has it ?, now I am confused about what happened :)
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

was the $1000 stolen sum of money actually stolen? is that money you left in the safe for safe keeping, or was it money that you was apparently owed?
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic