AP Archive films PHNOM PENH: FIGHTING CONTINUES TO RAGE

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
one_dolla
Expatriate

AP Archive films PHNOM PENH: FIGHTING CONTINUES TO RAGE

Post by one_dolla »

Just came across this
AP Archive on you tube has many films from the 70's covering the fighting in Cambodia .

Note a lot contain images of wounded or dead some very graphic.

[url]CAMBODIA: PHNOM PENH: FIGHTING CONTINUES TO RAGE[/url]
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: AP Archive films PHNOM PENH: FIGHTING CONTINUES TO RAGE

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

its chilling how recent that video looks like it was filmed!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i wonder if this is the 70's?
the film seems very clear, great color
everyone very well dressed, well fed, clean
not at all what i would expect

this looks like Preah Vihear

at the end the guy is speaking Thai
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

phuketrichard wrote:i wonder if this is the 70's?
the film seems very clear, great color
everyone very well dressed, well fed, clean
not at all what i would expect

this looks like Preah Vihear

at the end the guy is speaking Thai
Yes I'm fairly sure that's when the KR handed over Preah Vihear to Hun Sens troops in the 90's

"Preah Vihear - an 800-year-old clifftop edifice on the border with Thailand - has long been considered impregnable.
But the Khmer Rouge apparently handed control over to troops loyal to Cambodian strongman HE without a fight.
The 80 guerrillas, who had controlled the mountaintop since 1993, met some 50 government soldiers face-to-face on Monday.
They said they preferred to negotiate a peace deal than fight."

The first Video is 1997 showing the factional fighting in Phnom Penh.

"Fighting raged in the Cambodian capital and spread to outlying provinces on Sunday on the second day of an apparent coup attempt.
Second Premier HE went on radio to label his opponent, First Premier Prince Norodom Ranariddh, a "traitor" who would have to go but denied he was staging a coup. At least nine people have been killed since Saturday, including a Japanese engineer. Another 50 people have been seriously wounded.
Rocket and mortar rounds mixed with bursts of machine-gun fire on Sunday outside the Tang Kasang military base, five kilometres (three miles) west of Phnom Penh. The base is surrounded by troops loyal to co-Prime Minister HE."
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

That (at least the first vid I watched) is the factional fighting of July 97. Much of that taken along Airport Road. The part where the armor is turing onto a road with a big '168' in the background is the corner of Nehru and Kampuchea Krom. The poor guy pulling the cart with his injured wife in the back was also a photo on the cover of the PPP that Monday. The pillar of smoke in the background is most likely the burning gas station where the flyover is now at the corner of Kampuchea Krom and Russian Blvd., which would make that vid Saturday afternoon. The following day that smoke settled into a haze over the city, leading CNN to compare Phnom Penh to Hiroshima :roll:

Edit: Originally I wrote "corner of Nehru and Russian Blvd." That is incorrect. It was the corner of Nehru and Kampuchea Krom. I changed the text above to reflect that.
Last edited by LTO on Sat May 14, 2016 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

LTO wrote:That (at least the first vid I watched) is the factional fighting of July 97. Much of that taken along Airport Road. The part where the armor is turing onto a road with a big '168' in the background is the corner of Nehru and Russian Blvd. The poor guy pulling the cart with his injured wife in the back was also a photo on the cover of the PPP that Monday. The pillar of smoke in the background is most likely the burning gas station where the flyover is now at the corner of Kampuchea Krom and Russian Blvd., which would make that vid Saturday afternoon. The following day that smoke settled into a haze over the city, leading CNN to compare Phnom Penh to Hiroshima :roll:
^ Brilliant.

In those clips of the '97 coup there's a tank, but what was the building that they fired the tank shells into?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

There were tanks, and more APCs, but I just watched the one vid, the first one, and I didn't see any tanks firing in that one.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

LTO wrote:There were tanks, and more APCs, but I just watched the one vid, the first one, and I didn't see any tanks firing in that one.
Correct the first film posted by One Dolla CAMBODIA: PHNOM PENH: FIGHTING CONTINUES TO RAGE shows the factual fighting in Phnom Penh july 1997, while the other video posted by puketrichard is a separate issue and relates to the capture of Preah Vihear from the KR by Government troups some time in the '90s
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

they seem to be taken around the same time if u look at the dress, color, cars in background and not to mention in the 2nd video there is a barang and it was in the list after the first video ended.
All in all the 1st video was NOT shot in the 70's as originally posted
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

2:40
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Sat May 14, 2016 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic