Expatriates in South East Asia Make More Money Than Expats in Any Other Region of the World

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Expatriates in South East Asia Make More Money Than Expats in Any Other Region of the World

Post by bolueeleh »

maybe those engineers building the dams, oil exploration, building factories and bargirls STD examination? :ROFL2:
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
CowshedCowboyRedux
Expatriate

Re: Expatriates in South East Asia Make More Money Than Expats in Any Other Region of the World

Post by CowshedCowboyRedux »

juansweetpotato wrote:
phuketrichard wrote:
most months i put away a few hundred, unless the daughter calls LOL
thank god there were years i put away a lot :thumb:
Yeah well, keep it in your pocket. Haven't you noticed prices increasing everywhere you go? BTW I have never met an American that doesn't get a cheque from their parents each month.

We all know that if you stayed at home in a good enough job for years, you could buy a house. I never knew where I wanted to live and I never had a job that wasn't erratic and self employed. Preferring instead to wonder the globe before I died. It's the one thing that I regret not doing for finacial reasons and the one thing that defines the difference between most expats out here. I also was never dodgey enough to get a dodgey mortgage.
Most people I know in the UK that own houses have had a lot of help from their parents. Whatever the bullshit they spew when talking about their personal fortunes. It's normal.
If you stayed in the UK for years you could buy a house but it would take you years before you actually owned it outright. The benefit of being a globetrotting expat especially in Asia was/is being able to save most of your salary, live on the local allowance, and pay off a mortgage early or buy a house outright for cash. Those figures mentioned were typical for the expats I worked with in Thailand and guys I know working in industry around the Eastern Seaboard.

Regarding prices increasing everywhere you go, it costs me 50% less to fill my car up than a year ago, the airport bus from Jomtien to Bangkok has dropped its price from 134 baht to 120 baht and my last 2 flights to the UK were less than I was paying over 20 years ago.

Always look on the bright side of life la la, la la, la la la la.
kptic
Expatriate
Greece

Post by kptic »

kiwiincambodia wrote:Sorry didn't read the full article.

I still would say that is on the high side. Not by much but definitely high as an average.
Unless it is a median average.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

come to sgp, u can come on a tourist visa look for work, once u got work, apply for work permit, once u work couple months apply for permanent residency, once u got permanent residency, buy a government subsidies public housing, after which when u decide to leave, sell the house for a handsome and the real citizens of singapore picks up the tab. only in singapore :bow: :bow: :bow:
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

many of the guys i knew/know working off shore were making an average of $750-1,000/day and working 4 weeks on, 4 weeks off
made Lots of $$$$
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: RE: Re: Expatriates in South East Asia Make More Money Than Expats in Any Other Region of the World

Post by prahkeitouj »

Samouth wrote:So now it makes more sense to stop complaining about the pineapple's price.
Yes, they should !
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: RE: Re: Expatriates in South East Asia Make More Money Than Expats in Any Other Region of the World

Post by juansweetpotato »

prahkeitouj wrote:
Samouth wrote:So now it makes more sense to stop complaining about the pineapple's price.
Yes, they should !
Forget about pineapples. What about me? I'm just a humble English teacher that nobody wants as a boyfriend anymore because I'm not Khmer and I don't earn enough money. :cry:
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Here's a clue: It doesn't have anything to do with being Khmer.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

John Bingham wrote:Here's a clue: It doesn't have anything to do with being Khmer.
:crazy:
Pug ugly you mean?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

juansweetpotato wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:
Yes, they should !
Forget about pineapples. What about me? I'm just a humble English teacher that nobody wants as a boyfriend anymore because I'm not Khmer and I don't earn enough money. :cry:
Because you feel really insecured being around Cambodian women, plus you might think that everyone is money girl.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic