Expatriates in South East Asia Make More Money Than Expats in Any Other Region of the World

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Expatriates in South East Asia Make More Money Than Expats in Any Other Region of the World

Post by General Mackevili »

Username Taken wrote:That sounds about right. Most expats in Phnom Penh are making $126,000 per annum.
I guess that's OK, especially if you don't have kids. Image
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
franzjaeger
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Expatriates in South East Asia Make More Money Than Expats in Any Other Region of the World

Post by franzjaeger »

Rovers are the best at clearing the path in front of you. Poor people don't want to mess with a lot of money. Range Rovers hardly ever need to use their horns. Ever noticed?
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Re: Expatriates in South East Asia Make More Money Than Expats in Any Other Region of the World

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

You guys are talking about immigrants, I would think this is about people sent abroad with a work contract from their country of residence (tefler immigrants vs Coca cola expatriates).
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

LTO wrote:If this is even a little true the sterotype of SEA expats as GSM dwelling, price-of-pineapple-obsessed TEFLers and other good blokes cannot be accurate. Are there hoards of millionaire expats hiding somewhere who balance out all of the the $15,000/yr TEFLers for an $126,000 expat average? Or does HSBC just not count the TEFLers, or what? I s possible the stereotype is inaacurate?
This is Cambodia. One learns to take these figures, translate them into a currency that means something, then screw them up and throw them away.
Cambodia is "special". You see, even Samouth thinks the report backs him up.

Actually for 120k p.a. (10,000 p.m & a lot of clams/ pineapples) they must have been exclusively asking embassy staff and bankers.
BTW it's more like 12,000 per year or less (considering the holidays sometimes much less) that Teflers get. We dream of getting 15,000 here. They do seem to have gotten it right as far as being able to save money in China and Vietnam goes for English teachers. But I don't think much of the quality of life while doing it.

I don't know how Samouth affords all those holidays around the place, I find it hard save 100 or 2 each month. Someone must be paying him too much.
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Sun May 08, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

A highly troubling trend this. Seems I wasn't so wrong to blame Americans for the increased global tourist/expat prices after all :hattip:

Image.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

juansweetpotato wrote:
LTO wrote:If this is even a little true the sterotype of SEA expats as GSM dwelling, price-of-pineapple-obsessed TEFLers and other good blokes cannot be accurate. Are there hoards of millionaire expats hiding somewhere who balance out all of the the $15,000/yr TEFLers for an $126,000 expat average? Or does HSBC just not count the TEFLers, or what? I s possible the stereotype is inaacurate?
This is Cambodia. One learns to take these figures, translate them into a currency that means something, then screw them up and throw them away.
Cambodia is "special". You see, even Samouth thinks the report backs him up.

Actually for 120k p.a. (10,000 p.m & a lot of clams/ pineapples) they must have been exclusively asking embassy staff and bankers.
BTW it's more like 12,000 per year or less (considering the holidays sometimes much less) that Teflers get. We dream of getting 15,000 here. They do seem to have gotten it right as far as being able to save money in China and Vietnam goes for English teachers. But I don't think much of the quality of life while doing it.

I don't know how Samouth affords all those holidays around the place, I find it hard save 100 or 2 each month. Someone must be paying him too much.
he already told us he has a sugar moma :stir:

most months i put away a few hundred, unless the daughter calls LOL
thank god there were years i put away a lot :thumb:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

phuketrichard wrote:
Yeah well, keep it in your pocket. Haven't you noticed prices increasing everywhere you go? BTW I have never met an American that doesn't get a cheque from their parents each month.

We all know that if you stayed at home in a good enough job for years, you could buy a house. I never knew where I wanted to live and I never had a job that wasn't erratic and self employed. Preferring instead to wonder the globe before I died. It's the one thing that I regret not doing for finacial reasons and the one thing that defines the difference between most expats out here. I also was never dodgey enough to get a dodgey mortgage.
Most people I know in the UK that own houses have had a lot of help from their parents. Whatever the bullshit they spew when talking about their personal fortunes. It's normal.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/20/this-is- ... -most.html
Expatriates in Southeast Asia are the highest paid globally and report greater levels of disposable income, according to a new survey from HSBC.
The average annual salary for expats -- or those living outside their home country -- in Asia Pacific was $126,000
A bit of confusion btw SEA and Asia Pacific in the article, and I bet they don't count expats who are not sent by a company - here they are talking about Japanese middle-management expat salaries:
In addition, sometimes the higher salary packages for expats are related to higher costs of living.

The ECA International's annual MyExpatriate Market Pay Survey released in May found Japan offer expatriates the heftiest benefit packages in the region, with a typical middle-manager pay package amounting to around $375,289 per year on average.
- then if you add expat packages for Singapore,Sydney,Auckland,Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong ...

Oh dear, Cambodia is probably dragging down the average, who would have thought. :mrgreen:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

juansweetpotato wrote:
phuketrichard wrote:
Yeah well, keep it in your pocket. Haven't you noticed prices increasing everywhere you go? BTW I have never met an American that doesn't get a cheque from their parents each month.

We all know that if you stayed at home in a good enough job for years, you could buy a house. I never knew where I wanted to live and I never had a job that wasn't erratic and self employed. Preferring instead to wonder the globe before I died. It's the one thing that I regret not doing for finacial reasons and the one thing that defines the difference between most expats out here. I also was never dodgey enough to get a dodgey mortgage.
Most people I know in the UK that own houses have had a lot of help from their parents. Whatever the bullshit they spew when talking about their personal fortunes. It's normal.
I have owned homes in 2 different countries, (in the last 20 years), never had help from anyone.
I know quite a few expats that own and all did it on their own dime.

Owning is overrated
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

phuketrichard wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:
phuketrichard wrote:

I have owned homes in 2 different countries, (in the last 20 years), never had help from anyone.
I know quite a few expats that own and all did it on their own dime.

Owning is overrated
Actually, it's not that difficult to own a home out here. It's just hard hanging on to it. I just decided to let mine go. The place had changed so much in even the 6 months I was building it. Unbelievable. I had accounted for time to be demolished, as they are doing on the beaches, and accounted for increased tourism. Or so I thought. Place is ram packed now. Shit all over the place in only 6 months. I can't even be bothered to sell it the locals depress me so much down there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic