Pesticides found in Thai fruit and vegetables.

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Pesticides found in Thai fruit and vegetables.

Post by Anchor Moy »

At least in Thailand they are testing the produce, and they have some idea about the dangers of pesticides. I've heard a lot about Vietnamese produce being full of pesticides, but I'm fairly sure that the situation is the same or worse in Cambodia where there is little monitoring. I suspect that there are quite a few cases of pesticide poisoning that are put down to other causes.

57% of Q mark rated fruits, vegetables fail toxic chemical residue tests after samples sent to UK for testing. Expensive retailers do little better than wet markets.

More than half of the vegetables and fruits awarded the government’s "Q mark" for quality were found to have harmful pesticide residue levels, according to a recent food safety study...

VEGETABLES & FRUITS: THE SAFE & UNSAFE

In breakdown, 100% of red chilli had harmful residues exceeding the standards, followed by basil and long beans (66.7%), Chinese kale (55.6%), Chinese cabbages (33.3%), morning glory (22.2%), tomatoes and cucumbers 11.1%.

However, 100% of the regular cabbage samples were free from harmful residues.

For the fruits, 100% of tested oranges and guava were contaminated with harmful residues exceeding the standards.

Dragon fruit (71.4%), papayas (66.7%) and nam dokmai mangoes (44.4%) were also found to have high residue levels.

Watermelon was free of harmful residues, in line with previous test results done by Mahidol University in 2014.
http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/lea ... vt-quality
I'm really surprised about the chillis being so full of pesticides though. I wouldn't have thought that they would attract pests. On the contrary, where I've seen them planted amongst other plants, I thought this was a natural way to deter pests. Anyone know about this ?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Pesticides found in Thai fruit and vegetables.

Post by John Bingham »

One major problem in Cambodia has been that pesticides that have used in neighboring countries and have been subsequently banned there often end up here. Farmers use these products with little regard for safety procedures, and often use inappropriately high doses, mainly because they can't read the foreign language instructions. If this is going on in relatively developed Thailand, you can imagine what's going on here or in Vietnam, where many of our vegetables are grown.

It's funny how many people think that everything here is grown simply and organically, whereas the truth is often far from that.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

What has been discovered is that Chinese vegetables are cheaper to sell in VN than the Viets' own veg and the Chinese stuff comes with loads of pesticide residue. It's so bad in VN that people have taken to growing their own vegetables, in China too. Throw in the fish horror. Refrigerated trucks were caught buying up dead fish along the coast after the Formosa Steel plant up the coast unleashed deadly chemicals when flushing pipes into the sea. Frankly, eating anything in Vietnam is a scary proposition.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

ExPenhMan wrote:What has been discovered is that Chinese vegetables are cheaper to sell in VN than the Viets' own veg and the Chinese stuff comes with loads of pesticide residue. It's so bad in VN that people have taken to growing their own vegetables, in China too. Throw in the fish horror. Refrigerated trucks were caught buying up dead fish along the coast after the Formosa Steel plant up the coast unleashed deadly chemicals when flushing pipes into the sea. Frankly, eating anything in Vietnam is a scary proposition.
i just came back from ho chi minh 4 days ago, its not that bad, im still here spouting crap into the virtual world :beer3:
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

bolueeleh wrote:
ExPenhMan wrote:What has been discovered is that Chinese vegetables are cheaper to sell in VN than the Viets' own veg and the Chinese stuff comes with loads of pesticide residue. It's so bad in VN that people have taken to growing their own vegetables, in China too. Throw in the fish horror. Refrigerated trucks were caught buying up dead fish along the coast after the Formosa Steel plant up the coast unleashed deadly chemicals when flushing pipes into the sea. Frankly, eating anything in Vietnam is a scary proposition.
i just came back from ho chi minh 4 days ago, its not that bad, im still here spouting crap into the virtual world :beer3:
I came to Vietnam 21 years ago and one of the first things I did was to stop thinking about what I eat as otherwise I wouldn't....
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

if I eat food and it taste shit i spit it out.
if it tastes like an apple/cucumber/kale i will eat it

its a simple rule I live by
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

hanno wrote:
bolueeleh wrote:
I came to Vietnam 21 years ago and one of the first things I did was to stop thinking about what I eat as otherwise I wouldn't....
yep actually vietnamese cuisine is quite healthy, it always comes with a heap of greens, but some stalls use again those that the customer did not eat, but again most stalls rinse the greens again before serving them, except for those communal greens which have been sitting there in the middle of the long table for the whole afternoon and countless hands picking through it it :bad: :bad: :bad:
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

The Cambodian government announced years ago that they would legislate to require Khmer script on pesticides and herbicides. They must have forgotten about that.
obelisks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by obelisks »

SinnSisamouth wrote:if I eat food and it taste shit i spit it out.

2 weeks ago they showed a documentary of people in Fukishima growing rice and this is only five years after the disaster. (Bear in mind they are still finding out how dangerous Chernobyl still is today 36 years after that disaster).
Anyway there they were these silly fucking idiots eating this rice and going ooohh yummy to each other and saying that it tasted perfectly fine as they were shovelling it into their mouths. I mean how fucking dumb can you get??
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

SinnSisamouth wrote:if I eat food and it taste shit i spit it out.

I'd imagine you must be totally emaciated then?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic