British English Teacher Paul Seston Found Dead in Phnom Penh After Walking Across Town

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: British English Teacher Paul Seston Found Dead in Phnom Penh After Walking Across Town

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Алина Анисимов wrote:
John Bingham wrote:
Алина Анисимов wrote:....to be eaten by carrion is the best way.
Dead and decaying animals don't eat anything.

Carrion has more than one use,it also means to feed on dead flesh?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/carrion

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/carrion

It's not my native language,so I usually put my trust in dictionaries. Thanks for pointing that out , I see my Oxford concise, only has it ,as you say. Nextime if I use it I will write carrion eaters. Did you understand what I meant,that I wanted my dead body to be eaten?
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: British English Teacher Paul Seston Found Dead in Phnom Penh After Walking Across Town

Post by juansweetpotato »

Glad to see we had that little talk on death threads. :?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Алина Анисимов wrote:When I go I want an air burial,and have my flesh support the life of another. Burning is a waste of energy,buried pollutes the water table,to be eaten by carrion is the best way.
I like the idea of sky burial too. Unfortunately, the vulture population used for this is dying off. There are mounds of uneaten bodies left to rot because of this. It might be better to chuck your body in the sea and let the creepy crawlies there consume you instead...
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Алина Анисимов
Expatriate

Post by Алина Анисимов »

John Bingham wrote:
Алина Анисимов wrote:....to be eaten by carrion is the best way.
Dead and decaying animals don't eat anything.
I had a look at Swan Practical English Usage and "by carrion" is an ellipsis after an adjective . You have heard, I am sure of and seen the Carrion Crow,well there you have it, my usage was correct.

You do know I teach English ( insert ellipsis don't you),you should never test a English teacher on grammar.

Although , I thank you for making me remind myself and look up ,of this part of English grammar. It is fun to learn. :hattip:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Carrion is what is eaten by vultures/ crows etc. The carrion doesn't eat anything, it's dead. To try and claim you meant "by Carrion Crows" is disingenuous nonsense.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Алина Анисимов
Expatriate

Post by Алина Анисимов »

John Bingham wrote:Carrion is what is eaten by vultures/ crows etc. The carrion doesn't eat anything, it's dead. To try and claim you meant "by Carrion Crows" is disingenuous nonsense.
Thank You for telling me what I thought. Why don't you just admit you made a mistake and embrace the learning experience. Why so defensive ,I posted two links to show that some dictionaries define it also as feeding on carrion.
Plus the way I used it in my sentence was as an adjective before an ellipsis.
Please in the future do not tell me what I thought , as you can see I am right. It's my job I should know,why were you so driven to comment ,on my language use.
Life is about learning , and taking correction is a part of that process,anyway it is not as if you are a English teacher and should know these things.
Can I ask did you even hear of the word ellipsis until today?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/carrion

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/carrion
ruralvoice
Expatriate

Post by ruralvoice »

Ignore the pompously indignant. Your replies are like carrion to them.
Last edited by ruralvoice on Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

juansweetpotato wrote:Glad to see we had that little talk on death threads. :?
Yes, but believe it or not, we seem to have made some progress.
Instead of vulgarly speculating on the cause of death, we are discussing the semantics of the means of disposal of the body.Vast improvement. :hattip:
I propose a new thread to discuss this. Something like "Is my death better described as an ellipsis or a hyperbole ?" I'll put it in General Chatter...
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Алина Анисимов wrote: Why don't you just admit you made a mistake and embrace the learning experience.
The irony. This is one reason why native-English speakers are preferred as English teachers, they understand the use of language and don't have to try to BS their way out of mistakes.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
StungTrengBooBarang
Expatriate

Post by StungTrengBooBarang »

Hello all im a new member.
I was one of many who saw Paul for the last time as he left 'Nicks Bar' on st51, where he was a regular.
he had been in a wheelchair then, and he had no strength in his legs to get inside a tuktuk when he went home. It took maybe 3-4 males to slowly get him in.

Then im told the next day he died that night.

From what a local said in their english was something like " he have baby daughter, but his khmer wife had already cheated on him with a khmer man. She is hiding from Paul, and hiding the baby daughter also. This is why he die, as he worry if his baby girl is safe."

And i said later did they know his wife is the mother of the baby, and they answer that others had also been thinking that she not real(biological) mama of that baby, so she hide the baby from Paul to just hurt him.

Thats about all i know, and Nick has since sold the bar to his mate, and not around to ask if he as Pauls mate knows the whole story.

So how he managed to walk around in the night, without that i read any mention of the wheelchair, is very confusing to me.

cheers
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic