Reporting news. Links, photos, what to show or not show?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Reporting news. Links, photos, what to show or not show?

Post by Anchor Moy »

kiwiincambodia wrote:I've always been against posting the photos but I also feel it is important to reference the original news source.
That's my point - the problem is that when you supply a link to the original Khmer news source it (very) often includes graphic photos. And no matter how much "warning" you give for the link, most people outside of Cambodia news circles will still click on the link and be shocked shitless.
The other problem mentioned is the comments. As an expat forum, I think that it's completely legitimate to comment when there are spikes in expat or tourist deaths in a particular age-group or in a location. When there are suddenly a whole lot of foreigners who die in their rooms of inexplained "heart attacks", then I think it is legitimate to comment on this. That said, when you comment, try to imagine that real people will be reading what you wrote.
I would almost support a private comments /discussion sector - insiders only - but i don't see how it could be done.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Reporting news. Links, photos, what to show or not show?

Post by General Mackevili »

kiwiincambodia wrote:I've always been against posting the photos but I also feel it is important to reference the original news source.
Yeah, and that's the biggest catch 22 (obviously).

I hope my above post can kind of helps balance the need to make source info available to those who want it and very well hidden from those who don't (including members and the public).
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Anchor Moy wrote:
That's my point - the problem is that when you supply a link to the original Khmer news source it (very) often includes graphic photos. And no matter how much "warning" you give for the link, most people outside of Cambodia news circles will still click on the link and be shocked shitless.
The other problem mentioned is the comments. As an expat forum, I think that it's completely legitimate to comment when there are spikes in expat or tourist deaths in a particular age-group or in a location. When there are suddenly a whole lot of foreigners who die in their rooms of inexplained "heart attacks", then I think it is legitimate to comment on this. That said, when you comment, try to imagine that real people will be reading what you wrote.
I would almost support a private comments /discussion sector - insiders only - but i don't see how it could be done.
To be fair, that's why I don't normally post on the death threads. It will only be a matter of time before I make an inappropriate joke that could offend someone.

It's about self moderation and not being a dick. Just don't abuse the dead (which should be common sense) if people can do that then there is nothing to worry about.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

there will not be any self moderation i assume (freedom of speech thingy), so the best solution is,
1 - all in 1 thread,
2 - disable comments,
3 - sticky it
4 - a private section only for members who are fair game status, to go all out (i am assuming that family members are newly joined so they most probably be under protection status)
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

kiwiincambodia wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:
To be fair, that's why I don't normally post on the death threads. It will only be a matter of time before I make an inappropriate joke that could offend someone.

It's about self moderation and not being a dick. Just don't abuse the dead (which should be common sense) if people can do that then there is nothing to worry about.
I don't think that posters here mean to be dickish, but when you're in Cambodia and you read the expat forums and the Khmer news reports, you become a bit 'blase'. We are not immune, but we get used to certain things that are shocking elsewhere; there are some things or attitudes on the forum that will upset outsiders and that's fair enough. But at the same time, we should be able to discuss difficult subjects like drugs or suicide in Cambodia without self-censoring.
But, how to do ?
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

bolueeleh wrote:there will not be any self moderation i assume (freedom of speech thingy), so the best solution is,
1 - all in 1 thread,
2 - disable comments,
3 - sticky it
4 - a private section only for members who are fair game status, to go all out (i am assuming that family members are newly joined so they most probably be under protection status)
I like this idea.
It scares me to think that one day it could be my son finding out about my death, I'd hate for gross pics to be the last thing he sees of me.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

very easy to make a single thread and google can not access it, all u need do is make a noindex/nofolow meta tag
people do it all the time

You can also have a separate url something like https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/barangdeaths with a noindex/nofollow meta tag
that is NOT LINKED from anywhere on the site, anyone that wants to read about deaths could request the url from .....

that way NOBODY would ever accidental stumble upon it and it would not ever show up in any se

To me its all about traffic , but since this site does not generate income.... who the fuck cares about traffic??
UNLESS u are really only interested in the traffic a death thread generates>>>>>>

I for one, have very little interest in who died in Cambodia, If i knew them, i would know they died and if i dont' know them..... why do i care they died?

access only granted to posters known ( or by a certain number of posts , like admission to PA sections or the old GGC) this will keep the family out of it and also the lookie lookies.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

phuketrichard wrote:
I for one, have ZERO interest in who died in Cambodia, If i knew them, i would know they died and if i dont' know them..... why do i care they died?
:facepalm:

Let me get this straight, Richard, you have no interest about who died in Cambodia, but you've obviously taken the time to read some of the articles we've posted?
phuketrichard wrote:
I do find that the translations need ALOT of work
And here is a comment by you from only 2 days ago regarding someone who you presumably don't even know who died in Cambodia, discussing their cause of death with a relative:
phuketrichard wrote:
LTaylor wrote:This is my nephew. I have only just found out this morning and I am gutted to say the least. And it was not drugs he died from so please be respectful
i am sorry for your loss and not being disrespectful, but how do you know it was not?
24 years old? to young to die, unless he was suffering from some illness previously and if so why did he travel to Cambodia?
So for you to say you have no interest is a little bit odd to me, LoL.

Besides the controversial images, every news outlet on the planet reports on deaths. For whatever reasons, death is something of interest to people (duh).

And you say "if I knew them, I would know they died..."

Really? How exactly? Do you contact friends and family of everyone you know every day to confirm if they're dead or alive? People find out all the time of their friends death through media, or from other friends who found out through media. What you've said really makes no sense, imho.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

General Mackevili wrote:
phuketrichard wrote:
I for one, have ZERO interest in who died in Cambodia, If i knew them, i would know they died and if i dont' know them..... why do i care they died?
:facepalm:

Let me get this straight, Richard, you have no interest about who died in Cambodia, but you've obviously taken the time to read some of the articles we've posted?
phuketrichard wrote:
I do find that the translations need ALOT of work
And here is a comment by you from only 2 days ago regarding someone who you presumably don't even know who died in Cambodia, discussing their cause of death with a relative:
phuketrichard wrote:
LTaylor wrote:This is my nephew. I have only just found out this morning and I am gutted to say the least. And it was not drugs he died from so please be respectful
i am sorry for your loss and not being disrespectful, but how do you know it was not?
24 years old? to young to die, unless he was suffering from some illness previously and if so why did he travel to Cambodia?
So for you to say you have no interest is a little bit odd to me, LoL.

Besides the controversial images, every news outlet on the planet reports on deaths. For whatever reasons, death is something of interest to people (duh).

And you say "if I knew them, I would know they died..."

Really? How exactly? Do you contact friends and family of everyone you know every day to confirm if they're dead or alive? People find out all the time of their friends death through media, or from other friends who found out through media. What you've said really makes no sense, imho.

You wish to pick an dissect everything i say apart, fine, I am human and have an interest in death, as most people do, if it was on a hidden thread i would never request access to it. ok>
I would almost support a private comments /discussion sector - insiders only - but i don't see how it could be done
easy to do as i explained, i have hidden url's on most sites i work with that are not indexed/followed by se's or available to the general public, even my photo site has unique url's for clients
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I sort of like bolueeleh's idea a bit, but on reflection who wants a sticky called Obituaries?

We could have a single post on its own thread announcing the death of a tourist or expat. This could have a recent photo of the deceased so that friends and family will recognize him/her. It could be updated as necesary by CEONews. At the bottom of the post is a link to the Private section where members could discuss it further privately.

A single thread for each death, not a single thread to cover all deaths. In many cases, the news of deaths of loved ones come from forums quoting local news sources. Each death should have its own thread. Each thread then leads to a possible extended discussion in the Members area, as per GMs proposal.

Okay, so it's agreed then? I'll get started on that now.

:beer:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic