The real Cambodian Heroes

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The real Cambodian Heroes

Post by John Bingham »

juansweetpotato wrote:When they seize it, it ends up in a supposed public auction that funnily enough has a closed secret membership residing over it.
That's not what happens here. Try Pheap has the license to collect all confiscated wood.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

John Bingham wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:When they seize it, it ends up in a supposed public auction that funnily enough has a closed secret membership residing over it.
That's not what happens here. Try Pheap has the license to collect all confiscated wood.
Oh yes, that's right. It was changed in 2014. Also, more recently with the formation of a new overseeing body.
One cause for skepticism is a 2014 agreement granting logging baron Try Pheap the exclusive right to buy up wood confiscated by the Cambodian government at below-market prices. Obviously, such a scenario removes any illusion of protecting the forests.
3 February 2016 | Last month, Cambodia’s prime minister created a national committee charged with curbing illegal wood trade on the country’s eastern border with Vietnam, and the government and military conducted raids to seize illicit timber and investigate high-profile business leaders allegedly involved in the trade.

While the Cambodian press has described the move as a “crackdown” and some environmentalists hailed it as a “good first step” toward curtailing illegal logging, there may be much less than meets the eye going on here.

At first glance it might appear that the Cambodian government is taking a principled stand on forest protection. Revelations that timber exports to Vietnam, alone, reached US $386 million in 2015 – 50% higher than the previous year – were made more shocking by evidence that this trade was mostly illegal and largely targeted at the country’s rarest and most endangered wood species.

But observers familiar with the situation insist that the campaign’s true motives can be traced to simmering rivalries and jostling among the most influential players in Cambodia’s logging sector.

It appears likely that this latest effort to disrupt illegal logging, though highly publicized, represents less of a “crackdown” and more of a “shakedown.” The whole episode might be no more than the latest turf war between Cambodia’s biggest logging cartels to re-negotiate how the fruits of illegal trade get divvied up.
http://www.ecosystemmarketplace.com/art ... for-doubt/

That bit about a lot of it going to Vietnam is misleading and they should be more politically sensitive and follow it through with more details. Most rosewood etc goes to Vietnam for the simple reason they transport it by ship to China. it's Cambodians making the vast amount of profits.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

kiwiincambodia wrote:
PSD-Kiwi wrote:Pisses me off when they burn the illegally logged wood, be better putting it to good use like building schools or something like that.
I thought I read somewhere that the PM had told them that all confiscated timber was to be used for building schools etc.

Can't find it now or even remember where I read it.
I think i might have read it on here too, however i did remembered hearing him talk about this in a speech through TV.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

The ban is really funny as mentioned in the article it has been screening at meta house many times. i watched it once and it is really worth watching. It is kinda sad though. He is definitely the hero.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

But observers familiar with the situation insist that the campaign’s true motives can be traced to simmering rivalries and jostling among the most influential players in Cambodia’s logging sector.
I've been hearing this sort of thing a lot lately, work permits being another example. Does this mean the wealthy, just like K440, are starting to eat themselves again?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

The director is trying to work around the ban by screening it elsewhere. The English version will be freely available online for one day on April 26 to commemorate the anniversary of Chut Wutty's murder.( But won't it be blocked by alien laser beams or something ?) Anyway, good for them, doing their best to keep his memory alive with the next generation.
From the Khmer Times:

After Ban, Chut Wutty Film to be Screened in Phnom Penh

Khmer Times/Michael Light
Thursday, 21 April 2016

After a Wednesday screening of the film “I am Chut Wutty” at Meta House was banned by the Ministry of Fine Arts and Culture, private screenings of the film, as well as alternative means of accessing it, have been announced by its director – including a free screening of the Khmer version of the film today at 4 pm at the Sahmakum Teang Tnaut (STT) office.

In addition to today’s screening, which is open to the public, screenings at the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) as well as the Flicks Community Movie Houses are planned, according to producer Fran Lambrick.

“We are also releasing the film in Khmer on Facebook, on the film page I Am Chut Wutty and some other pages too,” Ms. Lambrick wrote in an email.

The Facebook release will happen incrementally over the course of seven days, the first being Wednesday, which coincided with the announcement of Ms. Lambrick’s Not1More (N1M) campaign.

N1M is a global support and protection network for environmental defenders whose goal is to “stop violence against environmental defenders by supporting front line activists and local communities defending their natural resources from land-grabbing, agri-business, mining, industrial developments and loggers,” according to N1M.

“Also on April 26th, to honor the anniversary of Chut Wutty’s death, we will make the English version freely available online for one day. The Khmer version will remain freely available to all, as we think this is an important story for the Cambodian people, and that it belongs to everyone here,” Ms. Lambrick added.

STT executive director Ee Sarom said he had reached out to the film’s producers after hearing of the Meta House ban, asking if he could show the film.

“At Meta House it was unclear whether the ministry issued the ban for the film’s content or because Meta House didn’t ask their permission to screen it. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the film,” Mr. Sarom said.

When asked if he was worried that the ministry would bring action against STT or issue a similar ban, he was quick to respond.

“Not at all,” he said. “If they come, let them come. We will explain to them that we have done nothing wrong.”

The anniversary of Mr. Wutty’s death will also be remembered outside Cambodia, when “I am Chut Wutty” will be screened at Bangkok’s Friese-Greene Club on Tuesday. While entry to the film is free, voluntary donations will be accepted and given to N1M.
The Flicks Community Movie House deferred all questions regarding the private screening of the film to its director, while CCHR could not be reached for comment yesterday.

While her film crew had little interaction with government officials during the filming of “I am Chut Wutty” and has not received any communication since, Ms. Lambrick said that on the day of Mr. Wutty’s death, she was able to pull a Forestry Administration soldier aside to ask his thoughts on Mr. Wutty, also a soldier before beginning work as an environmentalist.

According to Ms. Lambrick, the soldier said: “He is a good man.”

STT, where “I am Chut Wutty” will be screened today at 4 pm, is in Phnom Penh at #7, St 494 in Sangkat Phsar Derm Thkov, Khan Chamkarmorn.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/24103/ ... hnom-penh/
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

[quote="phuketrichard']
same goes when they burn confiscated elephant ivory.

ONLY way to stop it is show its worthless to everyone if its illegal[/quote]
like that will work, anywhere!
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Gone, but not forgotten. Remembering Chut Wutty... a real hero who will not RIP.

Film Viewing to Mark Anniversary of Chut Wutty’s Death
April 25, 2017

Admirers of slain environmental activist Chut Wutty say hundreds of people will mark the fifth anniversary of his fatal shooting on Wednesday by gathering along the Phnom Penh riverside and watching a banned movie about his life—moves expected to raise the ire of city officials.

Tim Malay, director of the Cambodian Youth Network, said on Monday that he expected about 200 people to mark the anniversary in Phnom Penh by gathering at 5 p.m. at the tiny Preah Ang Dangker shrine, which sits along the river in front of the Royal Palace, for a traditional Buddhist blessing.

“We remember him and want justice for him,” Mr. Malay said. “We want the youth to continue his legacy of protecting natural resources.”

He said they also planned to watch “I Am Chut Wutty,” an hourlong documentary about the activist of which the government has refused to allow any public screenings. Police broke up a showing of the film during last year’s anniversary on the grounds that the organizers had not sought and received government approval.

Mr. Malay said this year’s participants hoped to get around the problem by watching the film, though still as a group, on their smartphones...
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/film ... th-128538/
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

It's available on youtube...

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Barang chgout wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:53 am It's available on youtube...

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
Link? I just get "video not available in your country" on the links I tried.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic