Traditional Khmer Games : “Sdarch Chorng”

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Traditional Khmer Games : “Sdarch Chorng”

Post by Anchor Moy »

I came across this, and thought that others might have games to share ? This one looks like a good excuse for a bit of boy-girl contact. :thumb:
I guess that adults could play too. ;)

“Sdarch Chorng” or “The King Wants It” is a game that children or teens always play during the full moon time. The number of players are not limited. The players are divided into two groups, a group of boys and a group of girls.

How to Play
One of the players was selected to be the king sitting on a chair or something tall. When he sat on the appropriate place, one of the girls came to whisper to the king that she loved one of the boys then returned to the group. The boy also had to go to the king, if not by name he was whispered earlier, he could whisper to the king as the girl did. But if he was the one who on the name that was whispered, the king would shout, “Eiv Eiv!” Which means “carrying things” and gave that girl a ride on the back of the boy and came to group. When riding, they shout, “Eiv Eiv!” And they will bear down. They shift whispered to the king until they decided to stop playing.

The King is to oversee this with truth and justice. The game is up to the one who do as the king. If the king is prejudice and wants anyone to be carried besides names whispered, he would shout, “Eiv Eiv!” because no player knew he or she had been whispered to the king. But if there is such a bias, player who protested can ask them to switch the one who do as the king. If the king is trustful, the game will be fair played regularly.

This game is a pastime, but it teaches people to loving truth, and justice not to be endowed with 4 negative biases - bias because of love, bias because of anger, bias because of fear, and bias because of confusion. Furthermore, it gives people that before electing their representatives, they must find the right person who really works well and trustfully.
Image curtesy of Commission de Moeurs & Coutumes du Cambodge
http://www.viewcambodia.tk/2016/04/khme ... 8.facebook
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: Traditional Khmer Games : “Sdarch Chorng”

Post by Samouth »

So bad I couldn't remember most of the game I played when I was young during Khmer new year.

I haven't played these games for so long. By the way, it is not about race, but most of Chinese Cambodian don't know these games as these kind of game normally play by pure Cambodian who live in the province or remote area.

I remember playing various games with my pure Cambodian friends who live a bit far from the downtown, mostly near the farm or rice field. They are really good with the game and remember most of the rule.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

Samouth wrote:So bad I couldn't remember most of the game I played when I was young during Khmer new year.

I haven't played these games for so long. By the way, it is not about race, but most of Chinese Cambodian don't know these games as these kind of game normally play by pure Cambodian who live in the province or remote area.

I remember playing various games with my pure Cambodian friends who live a bit far from the downtown, mostly near the farm or rice field. They are really good with the game and remember most of the rule.
chinese khmer only play cards, these chinese culture dilute other cultures with their crap.
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Are KTV 's a part of Khmer Traditional games and entertainment.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Double post.
Last edited by taabarang on Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

You claim it is."not about race" then you continue to specify "pure Cambodian" twice. Please specify what exactly a "pure Cambodian" is. Pol Pot certainly believed in the concept and used extreme measures to purify the race. So, does pure refer to genetic heritage or what? Is a child born to.a foreign father and a Cambodian mother and raised on the K of W less Cambodian than their peers?
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
viper
Expatriate

Post by viper »

Don't be so shy Samouth. You used the term and as a foreigner I find it confusing. To me it is a chaste girl of Cambodian nationality. So is it about culture , genes or nationality?
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

So taabarang = viper = asp?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^ No. But, two out of three ain't bad.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

I played it when I was young. The most important person is the king( sdarch) in the game. S/he has to be honest. Yes, it is fun. You can also practice "telling who you love" . :p
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic