Traditional Khmer Games : “Sdarch Chorng”

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: Traditional Khmer Games : “Sdarch Chorng”

Post by Samouth »

prahkeitouj wrote:I played it when I was young. The most important person is the king( sdarch) in the game. S/he has to be honest. Yes, it is fun. You can also practice "telling who you love" . :p
I can't remember if i have played this game before. However i did remembered that i used to play some of traditional game. It is so hard to find equivalent words or phrases in English. I will just write them in khmer.

Here are some of the games that i used to play

1. ពង្រត់កូនក្រមុំ

2. ខ្លែងឆាបកូនមាន់

3. អ៊ូរ

4. ដណ្ដើមស្លឹកឈើ

5. ផ្កាចំប៉ាផ្កាចំប៊ី

i don't know if you have play this game which you will be divided into two team and each team has each leader. Before we start playing. Each team leader will go to secretly name his or her team members with unusual and funny name. Then, the leader will go to the other side and blindfold one of the members and call out the funny name he or she named to his or her member. The person who is called will come over and do something to the one who is being blindfold, like gently hit his or her hand or touch his or her nose and etc. Then the person will have to guess who that person is. If she or he guess it right, the team will get one point and it takes turn.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Samouth wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:I played it when I was young. The most important person is the king( sdarch) in the game. S/he has to be honest. Yes, it is fun. You can also practice "telling who you love" . :p
I can't remember if i have played this game before. However i did remembered that i used to play some of traditional game. It is so hard to find equivalent words or phrases in English. I will just write them in khmer.

Here are some of the games that i used to play

1. ពង្រត់កូនក្រមុំ

2. ខ្លែងឆាបកូនមាន់

3. អ៊ូរ

4. ដណ្ដើមស្លឹកឈើ

5. ផ្កាចំប៉ាផ្កាចំប៊ី

i don't know if you have play this game which you will be divided into two team and each team has each leader. Before we start playing. Each team leader will go to secretly name his or her team members with unusual and funny name. Then, the leader will go to the other side and blindfold one of the members and call out the funny name he or she named to his or her member. The person who is called will come over and do something to the one who is being blindfold, like gently hit his or her hand or touch his or her nose and etc. Then the person will have to guess who that person is. If she or he guess it right, the team will get one point and it takes turn.

I think u refer to number 5. Yes , it's really fun. It helps to recognize people even we can't see them or hear their voice. All of our Khmer popular games have good advantages.
But when I was young I hated to be named stupidly by my leader. But it was fun when they called out our names.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

haha you have no choice honestly. However being named stupidly and strangely is part of the game and without it, it wouldn't be fun at all. I wonder if we could play this game as adult.

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Samouth wrote:haha you have no choice honestly. However being named stupidly and strangely is part of the game and without it, it wouldn't be fun at all. I wonder if we could play this game as adult.

If calling people stupid is a part of a game adults play, I think we can all play that game.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Nice pictures.

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Bumping this old thread up with a 2020 paper on traditional Cambodian games:

Traditional Games of Cambodia
Date Issued
2020-05
Publisher
Cornell Southeast Asia Program
Subject
Teaching Materials; games; Traditional Games of Cambodia; Southeast Asia; All-ages

In modern Cambodia, many of these games are played at the New Year celebration. Theravada Buddhists hold this celebration in early to mid April, a time just before the planting season. In the villages the New Year celebration is a time to pray, to feast, and to play games that relax strict social rules.

You will notice that some of the games pit boys against girls; these games are opportunities for young men and women to get to know each other with parental supervision. The sie is great game for showing athletic ability and is often played by young men, while lek konseing and cat chases rat are usually played by younger children and perhaps some of the younger elders. Tres is a typical everyday kind of game that can be played alone or in a group.

Different games listed here :https://ecommons.cornell.edu/bitstream/ ... sAllowed=y
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic