Cambodian mangos to France

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodian mangos to France

Post by prahkeitouj »

I don't really know about mango names.
A lot of Keo,... Keo Chen, keo romeat, keo pong join....
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I like big, juicy mangoes.

Svay Thom.
asp
Expatriate

Post by asp »

Lil salary wrote, " don't really know about mango names.
A lot of Keo,... Keo Chen, keo romeat, keo pong join...."
Keo Romeat and what the locals call Keo.L'meat are one and the same. In the local dialect they don't seem to like the "ro" sound too much. .But I have never heard of the last one you mentioned.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: RE: Re: Cambodian mangos to France

Post by prahkeitouj »

asp wrote:Lil salary wrote, " don't really know about mango names.
A lot of Keo,... Keo Chen, keo romeat, keo pong join...."
Keo Romeat and what the locals call Keo.L'meat are one and the same. In the local dialect they don't seem to like the "ro" sound too much. .But I have never heard of the last one you mentioned.
I never write that mango name , just speaking. But I think it's same because the color of mango look yellow like Romeat. So when they speak they make it short by changing from Ro to L' . many words that we use in speaking different from writing.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

asp wrote:On our property we grow svay keo chen(Chinese glass mango),which is considered one of the most delectable and svay keo l'miat(turmeric glass mango) which is considered 2nd quality but has the virtue of being the first to come to fruition and can be eaten either green or ripe. I am unaware of a blue mango
Thanks for that asp...when I asked the missus about thise 2 varieties with the full name she knew what they were...guess my pronunciation for just "svay keo" confused her first time round, haha.
asp
Expatriate

Post by asp »

Lil salary wrote, "many words that we use in speaking different from writing..." Truer words were never spoken. I realise this is off topic but I think mango contributions have died out.

So my question is this: Is this substitution of "h" for bang common throughout all of Cambodia or limited to certain areas?

Here is another example. In our village no one says"roap" (to count) they say"hoap." Another example is kru bangrien they say ku p'hien. So, is it common to substitute a "p" sound for bang when used as a transitive verb? Is it just in some villages and is it considered an uneducated variation of proper Khmer? Thank you for your input.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

asp wrote:Lil salary wrote, "many words that we use in speaking different from writing..." Truer words were never spoken. I realise this is off topic but I think mango contributions have died out.

So my question is this: Is this substitution of "h" for bang common throughout all of Cambodia or limited to certain areas?

Here is another example. In our village no one says"roap" (to count) they say"hoap." Another example is kru bangrien they say ku p'hien. So, is it common to substitute a "p" sound for bang when used ad a transitive verb? Is it just in some villages and is it considered an uneducated variation of proper Khmer? Thank you for your input.
Yes, even me. I speak shorter than writing. Same like your village. But formal speaking in public which is in front of many people, we speak clearly like our writing.
I speak hoap, kru p'hien... Some people might laugh but most of us speak like this.
Do you know the word Ta Pis Ta Peash?
asp
Expatriate

Post by asp »

Bat ches mien regnai regnai nau krup te konlaimg.

Impossible to have 2 kids and a Khmer wife and not know the word.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

asp wrote:Bat ches mien regnai regnai nau krup te konlaimg.

Impossible to have 2 kids and a Khmer wife and not know the word.
Ort yol! We should move it to the thread ask and answer about Khmer language.
asp
Expatriate

Post by asp »

I don't know if"ort yul" referred to you or me so the English is there's a mess all over the place. I have no interest in moving the thread. Too late

Last edited by asp on Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic