Volunteers sought to build home in Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Volunteers sought to build home in Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Volunteers sought to build in Cambodia

Wednesday, 23 March 2016, 3:55 pm
Press Release: Habitat for Humanity

Habitat for Humanity boss seeking local volunteers to build in Cambodia

A group of Waikato people will work together with a Cambodian family to help build a simple, decent home in August, led by local Habitat for Humanity manager Nic Greene.

The Habitat for Humanity Central North Island general manager said he would lead a team of up to 16 local people on a “humbling and unique travel experience,” and was seeking volunteers to sign up.

“Cambodia is one of the poorest countries in the Asia-Pacific region, where over a quarter of the 15 million people live below the poverty line.”

“Habitat for Humanity Cambodia has been doing some fantastic work locally since 2003, serving more than 10,000 families. The team I’ll be taking over will help to make a difference for another family in an area of the capital, Phnom Penh.”

“Habitat building experiences overseas involve working alongside local people who will live in the completed homes – this is because we always aim to give a hand-up, not a hand-out, with the strong belief that everyone deserves a decent place to live.”

Mr Greene said this was an opportunity for people of all ages and backgrounds.

“You don’t need any experience to go on an overseas building trip with Habitat,” he said.

“And we take care of all the travel details like accommodation, meals and transfers.”

The trip would also take in some days of “R&R”, giving people the opportunity to see some of Cambodia’s world-famous attractions, such as the temple complex Angkor Wat.

Mr Greene, a former New Zealand Airforce officer, had previously led teams of volunteers to build in Vietnam, Bangladesh and Nepal, and said he was looking forward to learning more about the Cambodian culture and way of life.

The Habitat for Humanity-led team would travel from 5-20 August, with the cost of approximately $5000 including travel, accommodation, the majority of meals and an “R&R” excursion (including an overnight stay in Singapore on the way home to New Zealand). Interested people could get in touch at [email protected].

Source: http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/AK1603/S ... mbodia.htm
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Volunteers sought to build home in Cambodia

Post by Duncan »

I built this 7m x 5m for my extended family members about 18 months ago for $6500. It cost more cause we built it up 1 m higher than the surrounding ground and also has a
shop in front to sell ??

Last edited by Duncan on Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I believe that's former president Jimmy Carter's organization. It's a worthy cause, but what exactly is the point of getting people with no experience to build? There are too many things that they could make a mess of. It's just to make the volunteers feel good about themselves and raise funds.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

al ready done 3 for locals. now ima do one for me.
all the rural poor folk here are mostly richer than i when it comes down to it.
they sometimes own a fair bit of land
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

frank lee bent wrote: all the rural poor folk here are mostly richer than i when it comes down to it.
I'm not sure "all" was the best word to use there, unless you live under a bridge or something.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

John Bingham wrote:
frank lee bent wrote: all the rural poor folk here are mostly richer than i when it comes down to it.
unless you live under a bridge or something.
Hmmmm. What's the rent? Was the bridge built by volunteers too?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

I'm not sure "all" was the best word to use there, unless you live under a bridge or something.
fair call- i should have said the ones i have met in person.
sure, i work for a lot more money than them but have no tangible assets like they have.
Popeye
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Popeye »

I built this 7m x 5m for my extended family members
Tin roof, no ceiling or insulation. Shit, that must be a hot box. :!:
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

Popeye wrote:
he probably posted those pictures on facebook to get likes

and to add insult to injury he gave them the smallest tv he could find and stuck it hi up on the wall!

bastard
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

SinnSisamouth wrote:
Popeye wrote:
he probably posted those pictures on facebook to get likes

and to add insult to injury he gave them the smallest tv he could find and stuck it hi up on the wall!

bastard
Yes that TV is way too high. How come you don't tell them to lower down their TV Duncan?
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic