Mekong Water Levels

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
asp
Expatriate

Re: Mekong Water Levels

Post by asp »

Rutiger wrote, " That sounds like the kind of retirement I would enjoy, although I know nothing about farm life."

I would have failed miserably without the help and guidance of my wife. First, I spoke very little Cambodian and to make matters worse they use phonetic variations of classic Khmer which if you are a native speaker pose no problems, but if you are a foreigner they make the complex seen enigmatic. Now, no problem but I am still illiterate. As for farming skills the hardest part was learning to use nonmotorised hand tools that look like turn of the century survivors. In short I not only lived with Cambodian peasants but lived like them. All in all it's been one hell of a ride. Throw in two kids and it's a challenge.

The land we own can be worked by two people, but just barely in rainy season. Again my wife is always by my side and now the kids are getting a taste of real work, but generally manage to get #1 in their class at school and I see to it that their English is at a native level. I hope this superficial introduction gives you a better understanding of our country life.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

wow;
the perfect example of "going Native"
Cheers to you, something i could Never do
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
asp
Expatriate

Post by asp »

Phuketrichatd,

Yeah I'm interested in exploring aquaculture too. After all the dams have been built fish migration will be hindered and negatively affect spawning.
So far viable options seem to be limited to tilapia but as a former fly fisherman I don't think I will savor the taste. Who knows, maybe I'll be able to fool myself that I'm eating trout or salmon.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Tilapia is one of the better eating freshwater fish. Snakehead is one of the best- but predatory diet makes it a poor choice for aquaculture.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Talapia is delicious and vegetarian too! There are a lot of small hold farmers on here :thumb:

Does anyone know where I can buy quality plant fertilizers (NPK) in PP? Imports from the west preferably unless you can recommend otherwise.

In a SNV plant shop they were trying to sell me what looked like a bag of stones imported from Vietnam. Not really sure what they were but must have been slow release, over about a million years as they were made of stone.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

juansweetpotato wrote:Talapia is delicious and vegetarian too! There are a lot of small hold farmers on here :thumb:

Does anyone know where I can buy quality plant fertilizers (NPK) in PP? Imports from the west preferably unless you can recommend otherwise.

In a SNV plant shop they were trying to sell me what looked like a bag of stones imported from Vietnam. Not really sure what they were but must have been slow release, over about a million years as they were made of stone.
I have a book, written in Khmer, but produced in Vietnam by a Vietnam company that makes and sells all types of fertilizers. NPK plus everything else in various mixes like dolomite bla, bla, bla.. It's in my other house in PP so next week I will copy it and give you a copy if you want it. It's handy to have when you go into a plant shop , but most of the time they don't know anything and don't have what you want anyway.

Here is their web site.

http://binhdien.com/demo/index.php?m=about-binh-dien
Last edited by Duncan on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
asp
Expatriate

Post by asp »

Sorry JSP but I use compost and cow shit. To give it that extra kick I print out and shred posts from my least favorite posters on CEO and add it to the mix. Always a bumper crop.
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

Is such a dry country, does anyone use the plastic sheeting for agricultiure or is that product too expensive to get to rural Cambodia? If is isn't too cost perhibitive, I'd probably try that route.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

asp wrote:Sorry JSP but I use compost and cow shit. To give it that extra kick I print out and shred posts from my least favorite posters on CEO and add it to the mix. Always a bumper crop.
ah...adding a touch of bullshit to the cow shit.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

asp wrote:Sorry JSP but I use compost
and cow shit.
To give it that extra kick I print out and shred posts from my least favorite posters on CEO and add it to the mix. Always a bumper crop.

I recon asp is getting cow shit mixed up with bull shit.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic