Have you ever seen Cambodian backpackers?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Have you ever seen Cambodian backpackers?

Post by phuketrichard »

What they own????
Those are hobos.
Todays backpackers " own" a fuck of alot more than they carry and 99% have somewhere to return to
So reality backpackers carry " only" what they need on a trip
Ok?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

phuketrichard wrote:What they own????
Those are hobos.
Todays backpackers " own" a fuck of alot more than they carry and 99% have somewhere to return to
So reality backpackers carry " only" what they need on a trip
Ok?
Why are you still going on about hobos for god's sake?
What is it with you and hobos? Enough with the hobos.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Duncan wrote:Why do you need to go to a place where you have friends. They will only take you to '' Khmer '' places and eat Khmer style foods etc.
Do you think all the barangs that come here, came because they had friends here ?

Do something daring in your life, something new, where you make the decisions not your friends.

You do have friends in New Zealand and all around the world ,,, It's just that you have not met them yet, and never will because you are locked into meeting your friends friends.
I think you, and others here are underestimating how difficult it is for a Cambodian to travel abroad. It's easy for us to go wherever we want, not the same when you are from a developing nation.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CowshedCowboyRedux
Expatriate

Re: RE: Re: Have you ever seen Cambodian backpackers?

Post by CowshedCowboyRedux »

kiwiincambodia wrote:
Samouth wrote:
Duncan wrote:
Samouth wrote:
Duncan wrote:
Samouth,, Can I suggest that if you get the opportunity try a backpacking trip through New Zealand, I think you would love it.
That would happen, when your country no longer have visa restriction for Cambodian national.

I think you will find getting a tourist visa is not a big problem. Why not try and let us know how you get on.
I don't have friend in NZ. I would prefer going to Australia as i have friends living there.They would provide me accommodation and showing me around. I have some really good friends living in Sydney. They said, as long as i can make it there, they will show me around and i don't have to worry about spending. However, so far the money in my bank account is not enough to be able to apply for Australia tourist visa yet. I have been asked a lot of questions at Singapore border. Look, just going to a country that i don't need visa to get in is already quite hard.
You are sounding more and more like the self entitled typical khmer I had you pegged for.

If it's to hard you don't want to do it. Always take the easy road Samouth and you will go far in life.
Purely from an online perspective I can see exactly where you are coming from. If I was being cruel, hanging around with backpacking island hopping young privileged western gap year layabouts probably is not a good idea for a local guy several years older. It's not a good benchmark, but they might remind you how tough it is to succeed coming from a country with such historic persecution before they were born and pat you on the shoulder to remind you that you still have to live with that burden, and listen to their uneducated wisdom.

My poor me and my country Samouth - pathetic. Get your arse in gear you lazy bastard.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

John Bingham wrote:
Duncan wrote:Why do you need to go to a place where you have friends. They will only take you to '' Khmer '' places and eat Khmer style foods etc.
Do you think all the barangs that come here, came because they had friends here ?

Do something daring in your life, something new, where you make the decisions not your friends.

You do have friends in New Zealand and all around the world ,,, It's just that you have not met them yet, and never will because you are locked into meeting your friends friends.
I think you, and others here are underestimating how difficult it is for a Cambodian to travel abroad. It's easy for us to go wherever we want, not the same when you are from a developing nation.
Theres about 1,000,000 million khmers in thailand, singapore and malaysia,Are they all backpackers.. to me there is a distintion between a person that carries is "stuff" in a pack on his back and a backacker.
All i am saying those that we comonaly refer to as " backpackers" nowadays, least to me, do not hold the same values as those who put se asia on the worlds travel map.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

The Cambodians currently living abroad are almost exclusively migrant laborers and economic refugees, not tourists, of which backpackers are but a small fraction. What "values" of previous backpackers are you talking about? You were part of a wave of annoying, pot smoking, soap-dodging hippies who continue to give everyone who came after them and happen to carry a backpack a bad name. Like the rest of us wouldn't have discovered the entire continent of Asian without you lot. Man, you are pompous. :facepalm:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Rutiger wrote:The Cambodians currently living abroad are almost exclusively migrant laborers and economic refugees, not tourists, of which backpackers are but a small fraction. What "values" of previous backpackers are you talking about? You were part of a wave of annoying, pot smoking, soap-dodging hippies who continue to give everyone who came after them and happen to carry a backpack a bad name. Like the rest of us wouldn't have discovered the entire continent of Asian without you lot. Man, you are pompous. :facepalm:
Why are there always some that attack the poster,
Not being content with saying anything about the original post?

I' d call 50% of the current english teachers in cambodia "economic refugees"

Ps; i rather smoke pot than being an ignorant obnoxious drunk! :stir:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Rutiger wrote:
phuketrichard wrote:True backpackers dont know where they are going and for sure dont go to stay at friends houses
What those out there now, are unknown to us that were backpackers.
True backpackers are anyone who travels around anywhere carrying whatever they own in a backpack. That is the definition in it's entirety. Having some plan and knowing their destinations or not doesn't change that definition. All the other nonsense about hobos or whatever you personally did 60 years ago is also irrelevant to the definition of what a backpacker is. You make it sound like some exclusive club you belonged to and anyone else just doesn't "get it". Yawn.

exactly thats the difference between backpacking and a holiday!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
CJM555
Expatriate

Post by CJM555 »

Rutiger wrote:The Cambodians currently living abroad are almost exclusively migrant laborers and economic refugees, not tourists, of which backpackers are but a small fraction. What "values" of previous backpackers are you talking about? You were part of a wave of annoying, pot smoking, soap-dodging hippies who continue to give everyone who came after them and happen to carry a backpack a bad name. Like the rest of us wouldn't have discovered the entire continent of Asian without you lot. Man, you are pompous. :facepalm:
I think your statement and view with regard to Cambodian nationals and de facto global view is very simplistic and fundamentally a skewed argument.
The noted musings with regard to refugees and economic migrants are just wrong.
Indeed, your post confuses the two groups.

As for the comments about genuine travellers from days gone by.
Very easy to say and do from your now, no doubt air-conditioned, inter-webbed connected world you now enjoy.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

frank lee bent wrote:
[Alcoholic and meth-head and mostly young. Many old foreigners always mock at backpackers.
yep!
and they stink.
Of privilege? or youth?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic