Have you ever seen Cambodian backpackers?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Have you ever seen Cambodian backpackers?

Post by bolueeleh »

Samouth wrote:Maybe what i am looking for in travelling is not the same as yours. Actually travelling to Sinagpore is my best choice i reckon. I got to see and learn so many things that i couldn't in Cambodia.
70% of stuffs in singapore is man made, plasticky, expensive and soul less, i know coz im singaporean, once is enough, you wont miss much.
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

It did indeed turn nasty quickly, however, old dogs are wise.
Many of us have traveled throughout the post colonial world, even to dangerous places perchance.

There is a lesson in these criticisms for the young sprat if he will but clean the murk from his eyes.

Here is a tip young feller: everything you think you know is wrong.

When one listens to conventional wisdom of those failed aspirants who do nothing but receive the excuses of the failed as tacit wisdom, one automatically joins the tribe.

To tell us old hands it is thus and so, is appallingly ignorant.

You want to get a grip or you will remain a big frog in a very small pond rather than attaining your true potential.

Learn from these venerable gentlemen here, puppy.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Duncan wrote:Why do you need to go to a place where you have friends. They will only take you to '' Khmer '' places and eat Khmer style foods etc.
Do you think all the barangs that come here, came because they had friends here ?

Do something daring in your life, something new, where you make the decisions not your friends.

You do have friends in New Zealand and all around the world ,,, It's just that you have not met them yet, and never will because you are locked into meeting your friends friends.
To be clear, they are not Cambodian. I don't have any Cambodian friends in Australia. I personally think that it is good to have friends living in places you want to visit. They will not only your tour guide but they will also give you place to sleep. I managed to stay in Singapore for four days and i spent only 100 USD. Note, i was on the flyer too which was really expensive and also had drink on Marina Sand Bay. Why i managed to spend less money travelling in Singapore, because i have friend living there. i stayed at my friend apartment. I would do the same thing, if i manage to visit Australia.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

bolueeleh wrote:
Samouth wrote:Maybe what i am looking for in travelling is not the same as yours. Actually travelling to Sinagpore is my best choice i reckon. I got to see and learn so many things that i couldn't in Cambodia.
70% of stuffs in singapore is man made, plasticky, expensive and soul less, i know coz im singaporean, once is enough, you wont miss much.
Yes, most of the things in Singapore are man-made, however i am not travelling to Singapore to see mountains, waterfall or island. I just want to see how develop Singapore it. If i want to see those things i can just stay in Cambodia. We have all of them. You actually can't imagine how i felt walking on really clean roads and sitting in the metro in Singapore. Deep down in my heart, i wish Cambodia could be this organised and i was really impressed with the public transportation.

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
bkktrapper
Expatriate

Post by bkktrapper »

Samouth wrote:
bolueeleh wrote:
Yes, most of the things in Singapore are man-made, however i am not travelling to Singapore to see mountains, waterfall or island. I just want to see how develop Singapore it. If i want to see those things i can just stay in Cambodia. We have all of them. You actually can't imagine how i felt walking on really clean roads and sitting in the metro in Singapore. Deep down in my heart, i wish Cambodia could be this organised and i was really impressed with the public transportation.
Why you wanna be like Singapore? They are mad racist there , lot of rich Chinese look down on other race.
Sure it's clean but mega boring and people are social retards who think they can afford to be a snob because they work for 7 dollars an hour before tax.
ceiling cat is watching you masterbate
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

bkktrapper wrote:
Samouth wrote:
bolueeleh wrote:
Why you wanna be like Singapore? They are mad racist there , lot of rich Chinese look down on other race.
Sure it's clean but mega boring and people are social retards who think they can afford to be a snob because they work for 7 dollars an hour before tax.
When I said like Singapore, i mean i want Cambodia to have better public transportation and well-organised. Rule of law, everyone obey law, safety.

bkktrapper
Expatriate

Post by bkktrapper »

Samouth wrote:
bkktrapper wrote:
Samouth wrote:
bolueeleh wrote:
When I said like Singapore, i mean i want Cambodia to have better public transportation and well-organised. Rule of law, everyone obey law, safety.
Yeh then nobody wanna go to cambodia because it becomes boring and clean like Singapore.
ceiling cat is watching you masterbate
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Samouth wrote:
bkktrapper wrote:
Samouth wrote:
bolueeleh wrote:
When I said like Singapore,

i mean i want Cambodia to have better public transportation and well-organised.

Rule of law, everyone obey law, safety.
My guess is they are to busy trying to organize a rubbish collection service in Cambodia to work on a public transport system at the same time. But it will happen one day .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I made a long post but..... the original backpackers were the hobos of the 30-50's. Than came guys like neil cassady and jack kerouac
I was one in the 60's.
True backpackers dont know where they are going and for sure dont go to stay at friends houses, ( i didn't know anyone that had a place when i travelled) lol
What those out there now, are unknown to us that were backpackers.
But everything evolves

Who am i, but dust in the wind

" i dont think i am a freak, but i sure do like to freak"

Ps: i wouldnt know a cambodian backpacker if i saw one. What do thet look like? How are they difernt from a farang or thai backpacker
Last edited by phuketrichard on Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

phuketrichard wrote:True backpackers dont know where they are going and for sure dont go to stay at friends houses
What those out there now, are unknown to us that were backpackers.
True backpackers are anyone who travels around anywhere carrying whatever they own in a backpack. That is the definition in it's entirety. Having some plan and knowing their destinations or not doesn't change that definition. All the other nonsense about hobos or whatever you personally did 60 years ago is also irrelevant to the definition of what a backpacker is. You make it sound like some exclusive club you belonged to and anyone else just doesn't "get it". Yawn.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic