Cambodian man with a huge growth covering half his face... and a woman's heartfelt campaign to save him

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodian man with a huge growth covering half his face... and a woman's heartfelt campaign to save him

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

A Cambodian man plagued by a giant growth on his face may have the opportunity to have it removed after two tourists started a Facebook campaign to help get him surgery.
Australians Diana Koski and her husband John Nettleton came across 34-year-old Vid while holidaying in the country's capital Phnom Penh last week.
Vid, who is believed to be homeless and unemployed, was born with the growth that has grown to hang below his chin and completely cover the right side of his face.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3yRYvZX4Y
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Cambodian man with a huge growth covering half his face... and a woman's heartfelt campaign to save him

Post by SinnSisamouth »

I bet he will refuse the op because he probably makes a good living begging

"eww here take this $1 and go away!"
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Cambodian man with a huge growth covering half his face... and a woman's heartfelt campaign to save him

Post by Anchor Moy »

Wow, i thought this was yet another happy story from Cambodia.

But the DM have published 6 photos of this guy's growth from every possible angle; possibly with altruistic intentions, but it seems more likely that it has something to do with satisfying the voyeurist lust of their "readers". Photos are copyrighted John Nettleton, and he has a photo biz in WA. This may also have something to do with the offer to help, or not.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3yRYvZX4Y

Am I just a cynical arsehole for wondering if this operation is not all hearts and flowers as it is made out to be? (I hope I am. ) :Rose: I also hope that at least the money for the photos will go toward the op. (C'mon DM, cough up.)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I've seen this guy around for as long as I've been here. It's a horrific affliction. I have heard a rumor that he was offered surgery before but refused it because he wouldn't be able to get as much money if he looked normal. I have no idea if that is true but even if it were removed he would still be very deformed. Poor guy either way, I can't imagine what it could be like to suffer like that.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
crummyjuggler
Expatriate

Post by crummyjuggler »

Let me be the third person here to say that i have heard that multiple NGO's have offered him surgery which he rejected as he would lose his ability to earn money. Doubtful that short time holidaymakers know the whole story.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Cambodian man with a huge growth covering half his face... and a woman's heartfelt campaign to save him

Post by General Mackevili »

John Bingham wrote:I've seen this guy around for as long as I've been here. It's a horrific affliction. I have heard a rumor that he was offered surgery before but refused it because he wouldn't be able to get as much money if he looked normal. I have no idea if that is true but even if it were removed he would still be very deformed. Poor guy either way, I can't imagine what it could be like to suffer like that.
Yeah, at this stage I think he'd look more deformed without it. Truth be told.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

This guy is quite often on the riverfront in PP begging for change - he does very well out of it from what I've seen. An operation's not going to get him a job or an education is it? He always has other Khmer with him who seem to be family of some sort too. Not sure this campaign is doing anyone good except for the "do gooder" doing the fundraising - who gets to prove how caring they are.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

It's bullshit that DM can run a story of him with 6+ pics, but if I had done that I'd be catching all sorts of hell.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

General Mackevili wrote:It's bullshit that DM can run a story of him with 6+ pics, but if I had done that I'd be catching all sorts of hell.
I presume DM bought the photos from the woman's partner who is a professional photographer. Hope this was not just a stunt.

For some reason the DM also published this photo of the happy couple. Looks a lot like Cambodia. That must be the Royal Palace. Are they taking the piss? Don't tell me they didn't take any photos at Angkor Wat. Or why bother since DM readers can't tell the difference ? :crazy: Talk about contempt for your readers !
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

dont be silly thats not in cambodia!

its in birmingham/southall
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic