Update on renewing visas at Department of Immigration

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Update on renewing visas at Department of Immigration

Post by StroppyChops »

For those that are following the actual cost of visa renewals discussion, here's an update.

Mrs Stroppy went to the Department of Immigration near the airport today, chasing our annual visa renewals. She reports that the whole experience was professional and almost friendly, with staff going out of their way to be helpful. Sadly, they were unable to help for valid reasons, and we'll be heading off to LL for "almost right" visas. Note the following, and remember I'm just the messenger:

Immigration claims that $290 is the advertised rate for annual E visas. This is doubtful, given that reputable CEO posters have posted otherwise.

If you're one of the expat crew that has recently obtained an ER (retireee) visa - you are required to be older than 60, or be able to provide documentation from your own government proving your permanent retirement status.

Remember that it's not the government's job to ensure you have the right visa, it's your job - if you get the tap on the shoulder, and you have the wrong visa, that's on you.

If you've obtained an EB (business) visa and don't yet have a registered business, same-same.

Our sangkat ImmiPol (I just made that up) has advised me to get an EB, and as he's the dude that checks in on me twice a year, that's what I'll be doing. Immigration has zero interest in expat women who are here with their man, so Mrs S will be staying on an EI, without a WP.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
steevee
Expatriate
Netherlands

Re: Update on renewing visas at Department of Immigration

Post by steevee »

how much for a 6 months EI visa?
Is it worth for me to go myself to the Immigration office?
I mean is it a lot cheaper than Lucky visa service?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

steevee wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 3:26 pm how much for a 6 months EI visa?
- No idea on the 6 month visa.
- Others have had success at getting the "real" price by going to the Immigration Office, we were offered the inflated prices the agents quote.
- Apparently not - the benefit of going to Lucky Lucky is that you won't need to show documents required by Immigration, such as (shh) work permits.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

If you're one of the expat crew that has recently obtained an ER (retireee) visa - you are required to be older than 60, or be able to provide documentation from your own government proving your permanent retirement status.
For the moment immigration officials don't seem to know anything about this, or care. Had a check by immigration recently in SHV and no one said anything about me being under 60, or anything else. Lol. I will worry about this when it happens, for the moment I'm just enjoying being "underage" again. :fingerwave:
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

'EI' is not a visa type.

Are you and Mrs Stroppy married? If so, then she is entitled to hold an EB visa, without requiring a WP (unless she undertakes paid employment of course), same with children.
Last edited by PSD-Kiwi on Mon May 22, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 4:37 pm 'EI' is not a visa type, nor is it an EOS category.

All visa numbers start with the visa type letter (E, B, T, K, etc....), followed by the letter 'I', followed by numbers.

There is no EI extension of stay category either.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

StroppyChops wrote:
If you've obtained an EB (business) visa and don't yet have a registered business, same-same.
Just​ got my extension back, and it's a EB for the first time. Previous extensions have always been straight E type.

I don't have a business, I'm employed, and my employer takes care of everything regarding visas and work permit.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 4:37 pm 'EI' is not a visa type.

Are you and Mrs Stroppy married? If so, then she is entitled to hold an EB visa, without requiring a WP (unless she undertakes paid employment of course), same with children.
Good to know.

Yep, married, and we discussed her holding an EB, figured and ER would be easier if there are no reporting requirements but now rethinking it.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

epidemiks wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 5:08 pm Just​ got my extension back, and it's a EB for the first time. Previous extensions have always been straight E type.
That's because the different Extension of Stay (EOS) categories for E-type visas were only introduced with effect 1st Sept 2016.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

StroppyChops wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 3:34 pm
steevee wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 3:26 pm how much for a 6 months EI visa?
- No idea on the 6 month visa.
- Others have had success at getting the "real" price by going to the Immigration Office, we were offered the inflated prices the agents quote.
- Apparently not - the benefit of going to Lucky Lucky is that you won't need to show documents required by Immigration, such as (shh) work permits.
6 months is usually $165
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic