Anyone for sushi ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Anyone for sushi ?

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

This is for all you sushi-eaters. Another nail in the coffin of hedonists and gourmets. Raw or lightly cooked seafood and fish can give you parasites, and sushi's popularity corresponds with an increase in parasitic infections.
The Food Standards Agency advises that if you are making sushi/raw fish dishes at home the fish should be frozen for 4 days in the freezer at -15 degrees or colder. Do you think that sushi prepared in Cambodia is prefrozen like this to eliminate parasites ?

Popularity of sushi has brought rise in parasitic infections, warn doctors
12 May 2017
Doctors have highlighted the need for awareness of anisakiasis, caused by the larvae of a worm found in contaminated undercooked or raw fish or seafood.
From nigiri to temaki, sushi has boomed in popularity in the west, but now doctors are warning of a less appetising trend: a rise in parasitic infections.
Writing in the journal BMJ Case reports, the team warn that with sushi in vogue in the west, awareness of anisakiasis is growing.

“Most of the cases were described in Japan due to food habits; however, it has been increasingly recognised in western countries,” the authors write, pointing to a Spanish study that reported 25 cases of the condition over a three year period from 1999 to 2002, with all patients having eating raw anchovies, as well as Italian research which flagged both anchovies and sushi as routes by which individuals could become infected.

The Italian study added that medical professionals should suspect the condition should patients complain of severe abdominal pain after eating raw fish, pointing out that “no effective pharmacological treatment is able to kill the larvae once eaten”.
Indeed, as the US Center for Disease Control and Prevention notes, “The treatment for anisakiasis may require removal of the worm from the body by endoscopy or surgery.”

The authors of the latest report add that besides the symptoms shown in the Portuguese case, the condition can also trigger a host of other symptoms including severe allergic reaction, as well as complications such as digestive bleeding, bowel obstruction and peritonitis...
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... nisakiasis
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: Anyone for sushi ?

Post by Kuroneko »

Lots of these reports cite sushi as the problem when its actually sashimi they are referring to. Of course sushi can sometimes contain raw fish.

Sushi

Sashimi

Anisakiasis Management and Therapy

Because humans are the dead-end host of anisakis, no treatment is needed in most cases. Gastroscopy and surgery serve to confirm diagnosis and to provide treatment. Treatment with albendazole, 400 mg twice daily for 21 days, has been used successfully in patients [12]. For patients with allergy, modification of diet to exclude fish can be used to manage symptoms [2]

https://web.stanford.edu/group/parasite ... kiasis.htm
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Yeah well, might as well stop eating.....
ricefarmersdaughter
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by ricefarmersdaughter »

hanno wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 3:48 pm Yeah well, might as well stop eating.....
scare tactics from the western world trying to sterlise the planet and turn in to a police state.

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

ricefarmersdaughter wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 4:00 pm
hanno wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 3:48 pm Yeah well, might as well stop eating.....
scare tactics from the western world trying to sterlise the planet and turn in to a police state.

yep sushi gives you ebola too
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Post by boozyoldman »

Many people here take an anti-worm pill every 2 or 3 months.

Will that do?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

boozyoldman wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 8:30 pm Many people here take an anti-worm pill every 2 or 3 months.

Will that do?
The first advice I got when I first came to SE Asia 20+ ago....
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

i always buy "benda 500" because it makes me giggle every time I say it

:D
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

hanno wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 2:32 am
boozyoldman wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 8:30 pm Many people here take an anti-worm pill every 2 or 3 months.

Will that do?
The first advice I got when I first came to SE Asia 20+ ago....
LOL haven't had worms in my life and i have lived and viisted some real shit places
we eat sushi at least 2 x/month at Fuji's here. never been sick
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic