Any sparkies in the group?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Any sparkies in the group?

Post by StroppyChops »

Do we have any electricians in the group? I have an issue with a small appliance that I would appreciate some help with.

I brought back from Australia a pyrography pen - just like a soldering iron, only much, much hotter. Similar to this one:

It's rated for Australian power, although it's from the US market. It cost $120 AUD and was a gift, I wouldn't have paid that amount for it. It worked exactly twice, and then died a horrible, melty death.

Initially it seemed to be running too hot, and then went cold on me. I took it apart, put it back together (what we Aussies call "fixing it"), and it fired up again - but too hot as it then started melting the grip.

I can post a photo of the guts if anyone thinks they can constructively advise.

Any thoughts?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Re: Any sparkies in the group?

Post by AE86 »

Just curious, how is it rated for Australian power if it's US market?

Sounds like it was meant for 110v power and killed itself because of a 220 main.
-insert signature here
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

StroppyChops wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 10:56 pm Do we have any electricians in the group? I have an issue with a small appliance that I would appreciate some help with.

I brought back from Australia a pyrography pen - just like a soldering iron, only much, much hotter. Similar to this one:

It's rated for Australian power, although it's from the US market. It cost $120 AUD and was a gift, I wouldn't have paid that amount for it. It worked exactly twice, and then died a horrible, melty death.

Initially it seemed to be running too hot, and then went cold on me. I took it apart, put it back together (what we Aussies call "fixing it"), and it fired up again - but too hot as it then started melting the grip.

I can post a photo of the guts if anyone thinks they can constructively advise.

Any thoughts?
OK. I'm curious. Show me a pic of the inside thinggie that looks like a diode . Maybe one that acts like a voltage regulator and another that turns on/off when it gets too hot.
Do they have any numbers on them ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

AE86 wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 12:56 am Just curious, how is it rated for Australian power if it's US market?

Sounds like it was meant for 110v power and killed itself because of a 220 main.
My bad choice of wording - I think it was manufactured in North America somewhere, but for the Australian market. I'll check the power ratings on it later.
Duncan wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 12:07 pmOK. I'm curious. Show me a pic of the inside thinggie that looks like a diode . Maybe one that acts like a voltage regulator and another that turns on/off when it gets too hot.
Do they have any numbers on them ?
Photo to follow!
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic