What's wrong with street food?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
iluvu
Expatriate
Cambodia

What's wrong with street food?

Post by iluvu »

I live in a borey so there's lots of mobile food thingies for the workers and their camp or whatnot. When I'm lazy I grab a noodles thing or a sandwich. I think a peanut butter sandwich will probably be healthier. NM food here sucks.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: What's wrong with street food?

Post by frank lee bent »

safer to stick with rice at home.
those 5000R kebabs are not bad if you make them leave off the sweet milk.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

What do you expect from cheap street food? A fine dining experience? There's nothing wrong with street food and I've never been sick from either it. Lots of good options to be had for 4000-6000r. If you don't like it, just make your own snacks.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:41 pm What do you expect from cheap street food? A fine dining experience? There's nothing wrong with street food and I've never been sick from either it. Lots of good options to be had for 4000-6000r. If you don't like it, just make your own snacks.
I prefer cheap street food. I find it hard to justify spending a ton of money on something that turns to shit.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
wendyaspinall
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by wendyaspinall »

I tried once the street food in Siem Reap and Phnom Penh a few years back and I found the street food there inedible and expensive. And the ones in Bangkok doesn't look appetizing either.
wendyaspinall
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by wendyaspinall »

WildA wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:03 am
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:41 pm What do you expect from cheap street food? A fine dining experience? There's nothing wrong with street food and I've never been sick from either it. Lots of good options to be had for 4000-6000r. If you don't like it, just make your own snacks.
I prefer cheap street food. I find it hard to justify spending a ton of money on something that turns to shit.
Do you know where to find nice, healthy, cheap food in Siem Reap?
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

The best street food I ever found was on Penang Island. Great variety of foods and spices. I found street food in Bangkok and elsewhere in Thailand to be highly acceptable. Cambodian street food varies from just OK to very good but lacks the variety of not only Thailand and Penang, but also Vietnam as well.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

usa take the prize for awful mobile food trucks ( roach coach) that go round industrial areas.
they can make a fortune
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"usa take the prize for awful mobile food trucks ( roach coach) that go round industrial areas."

That in addition to military bases.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

wendyaspinall wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:05 pm I tried once the street food in Siem Reap and Phnom Penh a few years back and I found the street food there inedible and expensive. And the ones in Bangkok doesn't look appetizing either.
im not surprised you didnt like it, you like nothing about asia, i have no idea why you are even here, other than trying to find you ex husband that doesnt want to be found lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic