Still Young? read these words of advice

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Still Young? read these words of advice

Post by phuketrichard »

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Still Young? read these words of advice

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Yes Gramps.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

tbh im only 29 (nearly 30)
and can tick pretty much every single one off apart from...
Sunscreen (although i have started wearing it more when working, and iive always got a jacket/long sleeved shirt on out here)
the one about love (im open to it but quite reserved these days)
and the one about playing with my kids (dont have any)

34/37 aint bad YOLO
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
eriksank
Expatriate

Post by eriksank »

Advice? Beware of manipulated morality.

For example, when someone says he is a law-abiding citizen, he usually fails to mention that the laws that he abides were invented by humans, and that in that sense, he encourages others to obey to laws that could easily have been invented by hitler or by donald trump, or even actually were, and hence that he will make other people's lives miserable as well as his own. Furthermore, since he broke the primary law that forbids recognizing other law makers than the only legitimate one, he will also burn in hell in the next life.

There's no point in dealing with "the top 37 things ..." if you don't deal with the top one single thing first.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Jamie; having had a case of skin cancer on my forehead that was treated and taken care of, cant tell ya how important sun screen is
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:56 am Jamie; having had a case of skin cancer on my forehead that was treated and taken care of, cant tell ya how important sun screen is
yeah, my skin is rapidly starting to age quick and through the constant sun at work when i was younger and through boxing, i probably look a good 5-10+ years older than i should lol
its very rare you will see me topless up the scaffold now-a-days, living out here in Asia and seeing how conscious and scared of the sun they are has really programmed into me i should take more care, i know a number of people from work who has caught skin cancer
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Some of these are definitely true. I'm glad I did/been doing a lot in my youth. A lot of these I can relate with in one form or another. As for sunscreen... Being a semi-redhead, the sun is taking a beating on me as well... I've been careful these past few years.

One thing I've never done is networking. I just can't do it, don't know why. Both oldschool networking and stuff like LinkedIn and attending chamber of commerce events bores me to no end. Fuck that. I'm way too anti-social for stuff like that.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
episteme
Tourist

Post by episteme »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:35 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:56 am Jamie; having had a case of skin cancer on my forehead that was treated and taken care of, cant tell ya how important sun screen is
yeah, my skin is rapidly starting to age quick and through the constant sun at work when i was younger and through boxing, i probably look a good 5-10+ years older than i should lol
its very rare you will see me topless up the scaffold now-a-days, living out here in Asia and seeing how conscious and scared of the sun they are has really programmed into me i should take more care, i know a number of people from work who has caught skin cancer
had no idea.
im your age and i can resonate with things starting to slowly catch up...
from the above, i've mostly fucked up my teeth due to years of negligence.
amazingly, my liver is still just fine.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

episteme wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:57 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:35 pm
had no idea.
im your age and i can resonate with things starting to slowly catch up...
from the above, i've mostly fucked up my teeth due to years of negligence.
amazingly, my liver is still just fine.
negligence as in lack of cleaning? mine are fucked from shit like street fighting and opening bottles with my teeth (should never have got into the habit of that, i never listened lol)
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Once skin cancers kick in it can be a quick exit. There is hope for melanoma sufferers now with a new drug that may save 50-60% of people. Trials are encouraging. I have numerous less serious ones to be done, already done about a dozen piecemeal over four years. Now it is a general anasthetic, skin grafts and at least a week in hospital. All on lower legs which means it takes time to get to the lymph glands.
But I wont be doing it again so maybe five years is all I have left, thats life.
Look after your skin.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic