Can you start a business in Cambodia with $5k?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Can you start a business with $5k

Post by beaker »

Barang chgout wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:43 am I know someone who lives in Koh Kong and he reckons he pays $5 a ride there. Don't know the location/ details and for $5, probably dont want to know...

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
Just ask moto dopes to take you to the chicken ranch
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Re: Can you start a business in Cambodia with $5k?

Post by willyhilly »

Many Khmers in the bush dont spend much cash. They grow rice and veges and keep chickens, they don't all drink and smoke. No rent and the only cash required is for a $30 power bill and some riel to send the kids to school.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"Just ask moto dopes to take you to the chicken ranch"

Not sure that works throughout all of the K of W.
I'm good friends with a tuk tuk driver in Kampong Cham who told me the following, one day he picked up a fare at the bus station, took him to the guesthouse and was told to wait. When the barangse came back he told the driver to take him to the best chicken ranch around. Now my Cambodian friend, the driver, speaks damn fine English but isn't up to date on tourist slang. So, as you have doubtlessly guessed by now he took him to a real poultry raising endeavor way out in the sticks. And nearby we don't have any chicken farms such as the one in Shitsville-at least as far as I know. Your better off asking for
pteah mai yaim(sweet mother's house) or whorehouse.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

taabarang wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:56 am "Just ask moto dopes to take you to the chicken ranch"

I'm good friends with a tuk tuk driver in Kampong Cham who told me the following, one day he picked up a fare at the bus station, took him to the guesthouse and was told to wait. When the barangse came back he told the driver to take him to the best chicken ranch around. Now my Cambodian friend, the driver, speaks damn fine English but isn't up to date on tourist slang. So, as you have doubtlessly guessed by now he took him to a real poultry raising endeavor way out in the sticks. And nearby we don't have any chicken farms such as the one in Shitsville-at least as far as I know. Your better off asking for
You should be posting that here, ,, https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/topic8903.html
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

taabarang wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:56 am "Just ask moto dopes to take you to the chicken ranch"

afaik there are/were 2 "chicken farms" in KOW, KK/SHV, but still plenty of brothels and KTVs around out in the sticks all over, dont know if they would get the same label though, is it not a foreign term/nickname given to the areas? maybe by the french? are chicken and prostitute similar words in french? been on the pop all afternoon so could be drunkely getting my wires crossed
in SHV the locals just call the chicken farm area the actual name of the village area ភូមិភ្នំថ្មី
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
dirtymacca
Expatriate
Australia

Post by dirtymacca »

Money lending .....
With $5K she can turn into a tidy monthly profit IF SHE CAN MANAGE IT!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

returning to the original subject i was not giving you a flip answer when i said pork rice and bobor in the morning in town.
even a modest street front pitch can pull $40-70 net and finished by 11 AM

in provincial areas there are many small opportunities for a little beer garden with bbq chicken etc. if there is a pond full of fish, ppl like to drink beer and fish, you will pay by the kg for fish you catch as a customer and it will be cooked for you with your beers.
tilapia take about 4 months to grow, and a hole will cost you $3/ cubic meter to make. a bore and pump maybe $550 depending on where you go.

i have seen thriving businesses out in the province- pool hall with 2 tables covered by duct tape where the baize is ripped. ppl are waiting in line for 500R a game. nothing to do there see. while they wait for a game they have a cold drink. even way out in the provinces plenty of ppl have money enough for some idle entertainment. some of them will be the local movers and shakers if you are looking to put down roots.

once you get out of the city there are a lot of oddball things that can work.
you can moonshine legally- and if you can't do something as simple as that best stay home.
as in anything it is about location.
where your factory gate is positioned.
whatever you do avoid barang market.

all of this is of course assuming the girl is willing to leave the city LOL.
that should say a lot.
nothing works here except under close daily supervision
redjade
Tourist

Post by redjade »

Does anyone know where you can buy goods such as toiletried shampoo, soap, face cream, perfumes, drinks beer, alcohol, soft drinks and so from suppliers. Does Anyone know who the suppliers are and what it will take to purchase for them.
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

redjade wrote:Does anyone know where you can buy goods such as toiletried shampoo, soap, face cream, perfumes, drinks beer, alcohol, soft drinks and so from suppliers. Does Anyone know who the suppliers are and what it will take to purchase for them.
Street 199 (just after Olympic Market, both sides of the road all the way upto Mao Tse Tung) has numerous cash and carry wholesale shops.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

redjade
Tourist

Post by redjade »

Street 199 (just after Olympic Market, both sides of the road all the way upto Mao Tse Tung) has numerous cash and carry wholesale shops

Thanks I was more after how you can become the wholesaler. Anyone have any idea or experience.

Thanks
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic