Can you start a business in Cambodia with $5k?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Can you start a business with $5k

Post by cptrelentless »

boozyoldman wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:47 am $5,000 is good seed money to start up in business as a local moneylender.

With her more-or-less steady $700/mo. income, it's mildly surprising that
she hasn't started lending money at interest already.
^ ^ This guy. $100 lent gets you $120 in under a month. Hand out your five thousand to your sub-lenders at $1000 each, so they pay you monthly, they lend out $100 batches and deal with the daily grind of collecting the trickle. SIt on your arse supping margeritas, spanking that juicy $700. The factory workers all need small, short term loans, she's in Phnom Penh.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

taabarang wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:40 pm " Maybe the OP's friend should get his gf to do documentaries on foreigners living below the poverty line, reckon that would sell."

I cannot speak for willyhilly but if I had wanted a comfortable but stultifying bourgeois existence I would never have come here. As it is I have found much of interest, both good and bad, and none of those moments required much if any cash at all. Yeah I could have had a lot more money but it wouldn't have been worth it.
Raising a family of four on 700$/mth is hardly poverty, the majority could live such a lifestyle, and it could in fact be quite enjoyable in the coutryside of neighbouring countries with cheaper goods and nearly free healthcare. Raising a family of six on 200$ irrespective of country is considerably different.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:48 pm
Barang chgout wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:41 pm No KTV here, not even beer garden, good opportunity for some Khmer....

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
business like this aimed at the khmers would do good id guess,
espesh if there isnt already one,
trying to open a ktv down ktv street and you would probably struggle
Guaranteed there's already a joint with beers and girls nearby, atleast on the outskirts of the the nearest town, there always is. :wink:
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Raybull wrote:
Barang chgout wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:41 pm No KTV here, not even beer garden, good opportunity for some Khmer....

Guaranteed there's already a joint with beers and girls nearby, atleast on the outskirts of the the nearest town, there always is. :wink:
Pramaouy is a good hour or so, on a shit road, and I don't even know if they have a chicken farm there. Koh Kong is a solid 2 hourd and one can rent cheap chickens, drink beer and eat there. Hete in O Saom...

Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

So, not always...and I am sorry for my typing.....fucking small telephone, old eyes.

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Barang chgout wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:10 pm
Raybull wrote:

Pramaouy is a good hour or so, on a shit road, and I don't even know if they have a chicken farm there. Koh Kong is a solid 2 hourd and one can rent cheap chickens, drink beer and eat there. Hete in O Saom...

there were reports online last year that the KK chicken farm is now barren
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

It's been barren for years... Doubt there's a chicken farm in Pramoyi either. If there is you'd be scraping the bottom of the barrel.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

I know someone who lives in Koh Kong and he reckons he pays $5 a ride there. Don't know the location/ details and for $5, probably dont want to know...

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Barang chgout wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:43 am I know someone who lives in Koh Kong and he reckons he pays $5 a ride there. Don't know the location/ details and for $5, probably dont want to know...

true, $5 shags are still available in Cambodia, if you know where to look, if you dont mind forking out $10 can bag yourself a cutie
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Lol

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic