independent travel has become too hip

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Trinitysmackstain
Expatriate

Re: independent travel has become too hip

Post by Trinitysmackstain »

cptrelentless wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:41 pm If you don't go to they places they inhabit, you can generally avoid most pests. Avoid those late night raves, eat in fancy restaurants, that kind of thing.

Shoe string travel has attracted some proper boring twats , honestly they just wanna play wifi and carry those big 2 litre bottles of water.
Trinitysmackstain
Expatriate

cptrelentless wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:41 pm If you don't go to they places they inhabit, you can generally avoid most pests. Avoid those late night raves, eat in fancy restaurants, that kind of thing.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Great pic Duncan. A mate of mine started a backpackers in Mt Eden in his big villa in 1981. No one else had any idea what a backpackers was. Another mate started one in Motueka in the late 80s. He went off the rails after a little misunderstanding with a European lady backpacker.
Where was your misspelt place?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

No one else had any idea what a backpackers was
shows u how far behind Australia was,
IN america in the 30-50's they were hobos,in the mid 60's they became backpackers
we were Backpacking in Europe in the early '70's LOL :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I have no problem with "real" backpackers. I used to backpack back in the days in Kenya. It involved sleeping under trucks, sitting on helmets in case we hit a land mine, drinking beer that was about 50 degrees, and really roughing it. Nary a Pub Street or KSR in sight, nor elephant pants or man buns.

What I see today is kids that have no effing clue, that might carry a backpack but the only thing they explore is the backpacker quarters and the most adventurous thing they do is having strawberry sauce instead of chocolate sauce on their banana pancakes.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

hanno wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:00 am What I see today is kids that have no effing clue, that might carry a backpack but the only thing they explore is the backpacker quarters and the most adventurous thing they do is having strawberry sauce instead of chocolate sauce on their banana pancakes.
:lol:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

hanno wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:00 am I have no problem with "real" backpackers. I used to backpack back in the days in Kenya. It involved sleeping under trucks, sitting on helmets in case we hit a land mine, drinking beer that was about 50 degrees, and really roughing it. Nary a Pub Street or KSR in sight, nor elephant pants or man buns.

What I see today is kids that have no effing clue, that might carry a backpack but the only thing they explore is the backpacker quarters and the most adventurous thing they do is having strawberry sauce instead of chocolate sauce on their banana pancakes.
BUT if u recal lthe Banana trail started in the 70's
Amsterdam-Kabul- Kathmandu
locals learned that the "travelers", "Backpackers" wanted banana pancakes
and god dam they were good, when u were wasted :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

hanno wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:00 am What I see today is kids that have no effing clue, that might carry a backpack but the only thing they explore is the backpacker quarters and the most adventurous thing they do is having strawberry sauce instead of chocolate sauce on their banana pancakes.
This.. so much this!

The "done" crowd. Visit a city for a day? You've "done" it. Go to a major tourist destination? You've "done" it! Oh and they need their hands holding 24 hours a day while they "do" it.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

maybe OP is jealous that he cannot be one for long.
Trinitysmackstain
Expatriate

LionsLeftTesticle wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:05 pm
Duncan wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:11 pm I dont know why everybody keeps knocking backpackers all the time. In my early days I did a lot of '' backpacking '' , but we were commonly called '' hitchhikers then.

Unfortunately very jelous people in all expat communities and the people on this board staying in western countries and moaning are even sadder.
Jealous because second hand mop and bucket i buy off SR expats page wasnt....
free they demanded 2000 riel plus a pineapple .

B
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic