Is it Worth It?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Ronny
BANNED

Is it Worth It?

Post by Ronny »

Hey guys. I've posted here briefly before about making the move from Thailand to Cambodia but still remain indecisive. I've been living in Thailand for about 15 years but now that I am divorcing my wife, I want a fresh start. I'm American and I'm an older guy (will turn 49 this March 26th) and have no real experience or qualifications to do anything (I sold truck parts in my small family business here in Thailand but obviously that cannot apply to anything I would be doing in Cambodia). Yes, I have taught English before in Thailand but that was a long time ago before I got married. So essentially I would be moving to Cambodia with maybe $20,000 or so and little more. Is it worth it? I'm just looking for really honest answers from the expats already living in Cambodia. Your advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Is it Worth It?

Post by Anchor Moy »

This is a very big question. We have no idea of your expectations. Why not come to Cambodia for a few months and see for yourself ?
The whole of Cambodia is not identical. There may be a place where you just click and want to stay, but there will be others that you can't wait to leave.
Just come for the fun. Internet forums can give you some clues, but only you can decide what's good for you.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Come and give it a trial run, you have a decent safety net saved so if things don't work out in the first few months you should still have plenty to move on to somewhere else, or home... Unless you blow it all on a local lady, drugs, etc.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:11 pm Come and give it a trial run, you have a decent safety net saved so if things don't work out in the first few months you should still have plenty to move on to somewhere else, or home... Unless you blow it all on a local lady, drugs, etc.
this ^^
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

that will last ya a least a year>...but than what??
I moved to Cambodia back in 2008 after 23 years in Thailand, stayed a year and moved back to Phuket, found i ( and my Cambodian GF ) are much happier in phuket than anywhere i have been in Cambodia and i have been allover. Still enjoy brief visits back. Note i dont drink or enjoy bar, so without a job, not much else to do in Cambodia

each has different expectations
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

I am living in Bangkok at the moment. But I have also lived in Pattaya, Phnom Penh, the Mekong Delta in VN and spent a lot of time in all three countries. I have spent more than a year trying to decide where to move though. Not as easy as it used to be, it seems to me. I used to just pick up and move.

However, thousands of words will not be enough to convince or deter you. So follow PSD-Kiwi's outline:
Come and give it a trial run, you have a decent safety net saved so if things don't work out in the first few months you should still have plenty to move on to somewhere else, or home... Unless you blow it all on a local lady, drugs, etc.
Then you might try burgeoning Viet Nam if Cambodia doesn't turn your crank. Lots of great places -- only getting a VN visa not nearly as easy as in Cambodia.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

Thanks for the advice, guys. I don't really have any great expectations, I just don't want to lose money if I decide to make the move. Or in other words, if I go there I really need to know if getting a job would be all that hard considering my age and lack of qualifications. If I can land a job and stay without spending the money I have now then it would be an easier decision for me. I don't drink much and pretty much like to keep a low profile, so the nightlife really isn't my thing. I just want to keep it clean and start over so I guess I will have to continue asking around and asking questions from you guys :)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

job doing what??u urself stated u have no qualification :stir:
if u cant make it in Thailand, u sure as shit cant make it in Cambodia either unless ur willing to get a celta teaching degree and teach english for $1,000/month till ur to old to do that.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

PhuketRichard, did you read both of my posts? The reason I posted in the first place is because I want to assess my chances of "making it" in Cambodia. If I already knew my chances I wouldn't be posting, now would I? As for me not being able to "make it" in Thailand, that is a joke. I have a family business here and I have done well (probably I live better than you), so get off your high horse. The reason I am thinking about making a move is because I'm GETTING A DIVORCE and the divorce is a game changer for me. Not that I want to argue, but I find your attitude to be disgusting. You don't even know me and if you did, maybe you would be a little more humble. But seriously, do yourself a favor and don't look down on people who you THINK (Don't even know) aren't as well off as you. It's very unbecoming of a person to act that way.
LionsLeftTesticle
Expatriate
San Marino

Post by LionsLeftTesticle »

You don't live better than PR he travels to Burma all the fucking time.

I would move somewhere else in Thailand unless you want to live third world.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic