Looking for Work in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Ronny
BANNED

Looking for Work in Cambodia

Post by Ronny »

Hey guys, I'm in Thailand now and was thinking about making the move to Cambodia and starting over (Getting kinda sick of Thailand). I'm an older American guy (49) and was wondering how hard it is to find work there. I have taught English before but don't really have the background for it or any certifications or college degree or anything like that, so is teaching English still an option? And if not, what about other work? Other than some experience in trading in truck parts (which is what I did in Thailand for the last 10 years or so), I'm really not qualified for much of anything. And about work, what city would be the best place to go look for work? I have a bit of money but not enough to invest in a business but I have enough to carry me over for a few months if necessary. Can any of you guys give me some advice? Thanks in advance.
obelisks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Looking for Work in Cambodia

Post by obelisks »

" I'm really not qualified for much of anything "

at 49 what makes you think you would be a more attractive proposition than a young Citizen of Cambodia who can speak and write the language? :facepalm:
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

He said he could teach English Obe lol I hated my wife taking english classes from a Khmer teacher, which I didn't care except that he had horrible pronunciation and taught the most stupid words for someone still learning. One of the first words he taught her was "acquaintance". I shit myself after I finally understood what she was trying to tell me he taught her. She recorded it on her phone so she could practice it, I still couldn't understand him.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

thePeck wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:39 pm He said he could teach English Obe lol I hated my wife taking english classes from a Khmer teacher, which I didn't care except that he had horrible pronunciation and taught the most stupid words for someone still learning.

One of the first words he taught her was "acquaintance".

I shit myself after I finally understood what she was trying to tell me he taught her. She recorded it on her phone so she could practice it, I still couldn't understand him.

Yea, he should most definitely have started with something simple,, like ,,,, cat,,, dog,,, and rate.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

Duncan wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:48 pm

Yea, he should most definitely have started with something simple,, like ,,,, cat,,, dog,,, and rate.
:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: rate and comprehention is sure to stick around in this forum for a long long time
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Ronny wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:38 pm Hey guys, I'm in Thailand now and was thinking about making the move to Cambodia and starting over (Getting kinda sick of Thailand). I'm an older American guy (49) and was wondering how hard it is to find work there. I have taught English before but don't really have the background for it or any certifications or college degree or anything like that, so is teaching English still an option? And if not, what about other work? Other than some experience in trading in truck parts (which is what I did in Thailand for the last 10 years or so), I'm really not qualified for much of anything. And about work, what city would be the best place to go look for work? I have a bit of money but not enough to invest in a business but I have enough to carry me over for a few months if necessary. Can any of you guys give me some advice? Thanks in advance.
Still possible.
phnom penh is best.
puppy mill schools like beltei puc and elt pay from 400 - 1200 p m depending on the hours they give you.
roughly 3 months unpaid holidays per a including term breaks
more expensive to live here though beer is cheaper. I get sick a lot from the local food so can't afford to risk it. I buy and cook my own. Wish it was like Thailand for the food here.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

Thanks a lot for the reply. I guess I have a lot to learn and will just have to go there and see what happens. Have time for another question? Is Khmer a difficult language to learn? I can speak Thai very well but if I make the move to Cambodia I know I'll have to learn the language. Any thoughts on that?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

why do u have to learn Khmer??
very dif, Khmer is not tonal.
i have found many more Khmers speak english than Thais do
Many of the same words, but diferent meanings
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:04 am i have found many more Khmers speak english than Thais do
definitely not the case imo

Khmers do speak a lot better/clearer English though due to Khmer not being tonal so they dont have that annoying accent lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

at 49 u will be young compared to this old gits here
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman