70 Year Old German Scammer Named PETER Running Around Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

70 Year Old German Scammer Named PETER Running Around Phnom Penh

Post by General Mackevili »

From the Cambodia Scammers Facebook Page:

Hi Cambo Scammers Awareness Network, long time reader, first time poster. Mostly because I don't get scammed very often, I'm way too cynical and stingy. But a friend of mine was recently scammed and I thought I'd post the details.

My friend is an 82 year old former university professor who lives in Japan. He visits Cambodia with his wife every year for an extended period.

He was scammed by a PETER from GERMANY. PETER borrowed a not insignificant amount of money from my friend and then disappeared and hasn't been heard from since. He told my friend that it was an emergency loan because his bag got stolen a few days before. Same old bullshit, but remember, the victim here is 82 and generous to a fault, at least it's a fault while he's in Southeast Asia. Yes, he was being incredibly naive, perhaps, but don't blame the victim. If it happened to your grandfather you wouldn't find it amusing.

Peter is about 70 years old and German. White hair with a little black remaining. He lived in China for many years and speaks Mandarin. He often sleeps rough in odd places, like outside of a Kiwi Mart. He has overstayed his visa and may not even have a passport at this point. He often shoplifts from stores around town.

How do I know that last detail? Well, Peter told my friend that he knew the manager of a posh sky bar, and said that he'd bring him there for free drinks. Well, that was sort of true. But I actually do know the manager of that bar myself and when I contacted him he told me that Peter was an acquaintance of sorts who he would run into at Kiwi Mart at different times and who he would occasionally buy a beer or food for out of pity. He figures he gave him maybe $100 worth of charity in a 6 month period. He also knew that Peter was a thief and a scoundrel and he banned him from the premises of his bar because of that and the threat it posed to his customers (and his cash drawers) even though he was nice enough to help the guy out once in a while off-premises.

The picture below is the only one I have of him, and I don't know his last name, sorry. But he's an asshole con-artist who gives expats a bad name just by being here and if you run into him don't believe his bullshit and consider alerting the authorities since he's been overstayed past the point of no return for a long time now.

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram