Daun Penh Guards deny beating women protesters.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Daun Penh Guards deny beating women protesters.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Once again, Daun Penh Guards accused of using excessive violence against women, deny everything, and there is little chance that they will be held accountable for their actions, whether against protesters or sex workers.
(See also https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/newswor ... %20kunthea)

Daun Penh Guards Beat Protesters Heading to PM’s Home

by Ben Sokhean | February 15, 2017 | អានជាភាសាខ្មែរ

Protesters heading to Prime Minister HE’s Phnom Penh mansion to seek intervention in a long-running land dispute were beaten and pushed to the ground by security guards as the peaceful march turned violent on Tuesday.

About 100 protesters from Koh Kong province clashed with Daun Penh district security guards in the morning as they neared Mr. HE’s house.

Protesters said the guards knocked three women unconscious, albeit briefly, and reporters saw the guards kick and punch marchers. However, Kim Vutha, the guards’ chief, denied his men beat anyone and claimed the protesters were faking.

“We just wanted them to change direction, but they pretended to fall down and fall unconscious,” Mr. Vutha said.

“Protesting is their right, but they cannot do whatever they want,” he said. “They must listen to directions from the authorities.”

Most of the protesters had gathered to dispute the seizure of land they say was taken by plantations once owned by CPP Senator Ly Yong Phat, since bought by his Thai business partners. About 15 of those who took part in Tuesday’s march are in a similar dispute over another plantation owned by Heng Huy Agriculture. Protests over the land disputes also took place in Phnom Penh in December...

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/daun ... me-125164/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Daun Penh Guards deny beating women protesters.

Daun Penh guards are not sexist, they also beat men:

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Maybe we could lace their drinks , lie them all in a nice row, and let a cement truck do it's work.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:46 am Daun Penh guards are not sexist, they also beat men:

I saw this yesterday on Twitter, whats the story behind it?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

kiwiincambodia wrote:
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:46 am Daun Penh guards are not sexist, they also beat men:

I saw this yesterday on Twitter, whats the story behind it?
The man being beaten, Mao Socheat, was an activist protesting outside the Tep Vanny trial - which is ( ironically enough ) a trial of a woman activist for beating up Daun Penh guards. (Find the error.) Article says that Mao intervened when the Daun Penh guards were beating up women again outside the courthouse.

Tep Vanny was sentenced to 30 months prison for intentional aggravated violence. Image
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/a ... -city-mall

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

It seems the government will allow a color revolution after all - just so long as the color is red, and their people aren't wearing it.
I think someone should complain to the Ministry of Justice. Bingham?

Someone should invent a cock that delivers a shock. I've heard those security boys don't like it up em!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

juansweetpotato wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:14 am I think someone should complain to the Ministry of Justice. Bingham?

I have never shown any support for these violent District Security Guards.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Denial and impunity continue.
Guards Chase Down, Beat Activist; Authorities Deny Violence
by Ben Sokhean, Sek Odom and George Wright | February 24, 2017

Authorities denied there were violent attacks on activists outside the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Thursday and said there would be no investigation, despite video evidence clearly showing district security guards and plainclothes men chasing an opposition CNRP activist and beating him inside a shopping mall.

Activists from the capital’s eviction-hit Boeng Kak and Borei Keila neighborhoods were peacefully chanting and holding posters of Ms. Vanny when Prampi Makara district security guards began dragging and kicking protesters across the road at about 9:30 a.m.

“They pushed me to the ground and carried me by my legs and beat me. One of the guards punched me in the face,” protester Bov Sophea said.

“They kicked a pregnant woman from Borei Keila,” another protester, Song Sreyleap, told reporters earlier in front of the courthouse. “They pushed and kicked her in the belly.”

As activists and guards scuffled, CNRP activist Mao Socheat shoved a guard and was then chased by about a dozen men into City Mall. He said he had been attempting to intervene on the women’s behalf.

After turning into the Lucky Burger fast-food restaurant, Mr. Socheat was viciously punched and kicked by guards and plainclothes thugs before other activists intervened.

“They wanted to throw Sreyleap over the steel fence,” Mr. Socheat said when contacted after the attack. “I ran there to prevent them because it looked so bad.”...

Despite video of the attack racking up hundreds of thousands of views online within hours, Horn Vibol, deputy police chief of Prampi Makara district, denied that any violence had taken place.
“No clash happened there,” Mr. Vibol said...There would be no investigation into the day’s events, he added.

Phil Robertson, the deputy Asia director of Human Rights Watch, said the attack could be an ominous sign of things to come as commune and national elections edge closer.
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/guar ... ce-125743/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

This post, just like the events it portrays, doesn't exist.

The CD is reporting that Phil Robertson says things won't be pretty during the next election.
I think he may be right. :D

Is it just me, or have they all got liver-eyes?

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/guar ... ce-125743/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic