Cambodia to grow more vegetables, reduce imports.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Cambodia to grow more vegetables, reduce imports.

Post by bolueeleh »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:19 pm
bolueeleh wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:11 pm just 1 month when i first started biz here, some military guys rolled up in shiny camry touting 2 small generators with "donated by japan" words on the side, from that onwards it just affirmed my believe what i had saw and what i believe about the systems and NGOs in this country, i personally have never believed in all this charities or NGOs ever since what i saw back in my own country
What has aid from Japan got to do with NGOs? The Japanese Military have had ongoing programs with the RCAF for years anyway.
yes my bad, the generators did not have the wording NGO on it and my comment of not believing in any charities or NGOs should not be in the same paragraph so as to misled you to think that the generator selling incident have anything to do with NGOs.

i shall go back to reflect upon my mistake, i am not worthy to post in CEO, i am not worthy ,i am not worthy..... :sorry: :sorry: :sorry:
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

You don't seem to understand the difference between international cooperation and Non Governmental Organizations.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:01 pm
juansweetpotato wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:29 am
Raybull wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:05 am
John Bingham wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:38 am
juansweetpotato wrote: Precisely. How about a government funded school of agriculture that supplies free scholarships?
How about The Royal University of Agriculture that opened in 1964?

http://www.rua.edu.kh/
I was just the 7745th viewer of their website, not sure what to make of that! I've met farmers who have logged into their FB accounts nearly that many times! :facepalm:
That's just Bingham trying to be a smart arse, and falling flat on his face again with anyone that knows about something and doesn't take the government line. I mean, what kind of fool takes the government line in Cambodia? :dm:
No, it was you trying to be a smart arse but being completely ignorant that there are any agricultural colleges here. I don't see how the number of site-visitors proves anything, you have no idea how long it's even been up. People like you just complain about everything because you think it's clever to blame the government for everything, even when you have zero evidence.
Haha , I used to work there. lol

Here's a few more sterling Cambodian institutions for you to give the big-up to;

MINISTRY OF LAND MANAGEMENT, URBAN PLANNING & CONSTRUCTION

MINISTRY OF PARLIAMENTARY AFFAIRS AND INSPECTION

MINISTRY OF PLANNING

MINISTRY OF HEALTH

and let's not forget my personal fav
MINISTRY OF JUSTICE
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

John Bingham wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:21 pm You don't seem to understand the difference between international cooperation and Non Governmental Organizations.
Governmental related organizations / non-governmental organizations are a heterogeneous group. As a result, a long list of additional acronyms has developed, including:

BINGO: 'Business-friendly international NGO' or 'Big international NGO'
SBO: 'Social Benefit Organization,' a positive, goal-oriented designation as an substitute for the negative, "Non-" designations
TANGO: 'Technical assistance NGO'
TSO: 'Third-sector organization'
GONGO: 'government-organized non-governmental organization' or 'government-operated NGOs' (set up by governments to look like NGOs in order to qualify for outside aid or promote the interests of government)[10]
DONGO: 'Donor organized NGO'
INGO: 'International NGO'
QUANGO: 'Quasi-autonomous NGO,' such as the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). (The ISO is actually not purely an NGO, since its membership is by nation, and each nation is represented by what the ISO Council determines to be the 'most broadly representative' standardization body of a nation. That body might itself be a non-governmental organization; for example, the United States is represented in ISO by the American National Standards Institute, which is independent of the federal government. However, other countries can be represented by national governmental agencies; this is the trend in Europe.)
National NGO: A non-governmental organization that exists only in one country. This term is rare due to the globalization of non-governmental organizations, which causes an NGO to exist in more than one country.[11]
CSO: 'Civil Society Organization'
ENGO: 'Environmental NGO,' such as Greenpeace and WWF
NNGO: 'Northern NGO'
PANGO: 'Party NGO,' set up by parties and disguised as NGOs to serve their political matters.
SNGO: 'Southern NGO'
SCO: 'Social change organization'
TNGO: 'Transnational NGO.' The term emerged during the 1970s due to the increase of environmental and economic issues in the global community. TNGO includes non-governmental organizations that are not confined to only one country, but exist in two or more countries.
GSO: Grassroots Support Organization
MANGO: 'Market advocacy NGO'
NGDO: 'Non-governmental development organization'
PVDO: 'Private voluntary development organisation'[12]
USAID refers to NGOs as private voluntary organizations. However, many scholars have argued that this definition is highly problematic as many NGOs are in fact state- or corporate-funded and -managed projects and have professional staff.[citation needed]

GRO/NGOs exist for a variety of reasons, usually to further the political or social goals of their members or founders. Examples include improving the state of the natural environment, encouraging the observance of human rights, improving the welfare of the disadvantaged, or representing a corporate agenda. However, there are a huge number of such organizations and their goals cover a broad range of political and philosophical positions. This can also easily be applied to private schools and athletic organizations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-gover ... ganization
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Like I said, you clearly don't understand the difference between international cooperation and Non Governmental Organizations. You have proved this by Googling it and copying and pasting a bunch of irrelevant Wikipedia "information". To you and bolueeleh, there is no difference between the Japanese state cooperating with the Cambodian state by providing Japanese expertise, funding, heavy equipment and materials to improve bridges, roads, drainage, military training etc (benefiting both countries), and some chancer non-profit organization which sets itself up in BKK1 with the heady aim of helping stray cats (meanwhile spending 90% of its budget on salaries, visiting international conferences and further fund-raising).

What irks me most about this is that a very practical initiative by a ministry here gets cut down as soon as it is mentioned. You yourself have complained countless times about the price of pineapples/ potatoes etc, but when someone comes up with a plausible solution you damn it immediately. I can understand your cynicism when it comes to ministries, but your attitude is one that only stifles any moves in the right direction.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

John Bingham wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:14 pm Like I said, you clearly don't understand the difference between international cooperation and Non Governmental Organizations. You have proved this by Googling it and copying and pasting a bunch of irrelevant Wikipedia "information". To you and bolueeleh, there is no difference between the Japanese state cooperating with the Cambodian state by providing Japanese expertise, funding, heavy equipment and materials to improve bridges, roads, drainage, military training etc (benefiting both countries), and some chancer non-profit organization which sets itself up in BKK1 with the heady aim of helping stray cats (meanwhile spending 90% of its budget on salaries, visiting international conferences and further fund-raising).

What irks me most about this is that a very practical initiative by a ministry here gets cut down as soon as it is mentioned. You yourself have complained countless times about the price of pineapples/ potatoes etc, but when someone comes up with a plausible solution you damn it immediately. I can understand your cynicism when it comes to ministries, but your attitude is one that only stifles any moves in the right direction.
Interesting you mention the Japs. I suppose you mean JICA and the total package it has worked out with Phnom Penh City Hall. The Japs do the studies, implement the plans, oversea the work and pay for it all. Good deal. I'm sure the relevant ministries got their cut.
Is this phase three or four of the Flood Protection and Drainage System Improvement project? It's running a bit behind schedule if it's stage 3.

I would love to say good things if true. The Education ministry has a new leader and a while ago it seemed like he was starting to make a difference.
I think his heart is probably in it, but how many others? Where there's a will, there's a way. I keep seeing no will but to grab cash. maybe you can enlighten me?

Meanwhile, here's a link for those interested in what exactly has been causing all the road works in PP lately. Lets hope it helps.
https://urbanvoicecambodia.net/phnom-pe ... m/?lang=en

Oh, and the thing you should have gotten out of those TLAs is that the line between GO and NGO is a very blurred one.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

juansweetpotato wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:57 pm Interesting you mention the Japs. I suppose you mean JICA....
I didn't bring the Japanese into this, someone else did. Either way it comes across as ridiculous criticizing the Japanese government for their co-operation in the development of Cambodia. Myself, and many others I would imagine, have appreciated the bridges, drainage schemes, roads and other infrastructure the Japanese have helped with here. Don't believe it's all for altruistic reasons either, a lot of faith/ influence/ business extends from these deals.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I think it is bloody hopeless as the Cambodian disease of graft and corruption is endemic. I come off a farm so I have some knowledge, I still have files that are probably eight years old now from an NGO with very practical advice about how to grow nearly everything.
I got these from a mate who worked for various NGOs in the agricultural sector for over ten years. He had numerous stories about programmes that never worked due to corruption. For instance he worked on a programme to grow tapioca, but after the tapioca was planted the stake holders visited factories that may be interested in buying the product. The farmers did not trust the connected buyers, believing that they would be cheated.
One particular factory worried the growers, they confided in my friend that it was not an agricultural enterprise at all but a front for drug production. Eventually the growers ate the tapicoca themselves and it was all over.
On another occasion my friend spent months at Takeo training field officers who were given motos and were to be paid a salary to advise farmers. After he left the farmers complained that unless they bribed the field officers they would not turn up.
I remember visiting a Japanese NGO in Takeo with a mate. We wanted to learn about the farming of the Mekong fresh water crayfish. They had been funded for years at great expense and when we turned up we saw buildings and ponds and thought we had struck gold.
How many bong kong dteuk sap did they have? One!!! Fucking one!!!
The government promised years ago that pesticides would have khmer language labels. Ha ha ha - still nothing. The agriculture budget is tiny compared to defence, of course.
I visited a friends village off the main road to SR years ago, from a hill one could look across the parched rice fields to the Tonle Sap. It was only ten ks or so away. Irrigation should have been easy in order to produce multiple rice crops like Vietnam or Thailand. But even if the money was available imagine having to negotiate with Khmer farmers to get access for canals- fucking impossible. The farmers would put huge prices on their land and they would have known that the cunts working for the government would be pocketing half the money.
Then there are the taxes imposed by police for those transporting fruit and veges, one may be extorted several times just driving from Kandal Province to the market. The roads are fucked, the markets are inefficient and fucked, so the farmers are fucked.
Climate change and dams will cruel Khmer agriculture soon enough, anyway. The Mekong River Commission claim that salt is already 60ks up the Mekong and Bassac rivers.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Why are all mods twats? Did they not get into the army? - even the police wouldn't have them? Couldn't even get a job as a security guard? They have to set up a forum so they can police the inet :salut: I bet they wear a home made uniform at "work".
Good hypocritical job :thumb:

I was saying that the above post was excellent except for suggesting calling Bingham what he has called many many many others, many many many times...
I guess one of the mods must be sucking his cock or something. Meh..

One thing you can say about the other forum is that they don't re-write people's posts. They just delete the true parts whilst keeping the false bits.
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:56 am, edited 11 times in total.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

JSP and WH, you have both presented a believable macro view of much that I have experienced or heard first hand where I live rurally. I wish it was otherwise but I see no reason for hope. Optimism, no matter how eloquent, will never convince me that somehow everything will be OK.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic