Official guide to being a tight arse in Siem Reap

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Official guide to being a tight arse in SR

Post by hanno »

phuketrichard wrote:FOR whats it worth;
Cigs
Alcohol
Some barang food
some street food
that's it for cheaper

The only thing that keeps people moving to Camboida is if ur under 50 , not married or working legally, visas can be a pain in the ass here
]

I believe cars are cheaper too? As for the street food: some might be cheaper in the KoW but it does not even come close in the taste department. The cheap booze is certainly a factor; the Black Swan on Sukhumvit is now charging USD 10.00 for a pint of my favorite IPA :o
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Any recommendations of cheap bars and restaurants in Siem Reap ? Cheap as in cheap and cheerful, good value places, not the bottom of the heap. I'm thinking good food for around $4-5, pleasant atmosphere. Suitable for visitors. All suggestions welcome.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Anchor Moy wrote:Any recommendations of cheap bars and restaurants in Siem Reap ? Cheap as in cheap and cheerful, good value places, not the bottom of the heap. I'm thinking good food for around $4-5, pleasant atmosphere. Suitable for visitors. All suggestions welcome.
the moon villa and cafe i think it was called, i used to eat there every day, when i was last in town, they do lunch specials,
i used to have the pad thai there which was always delicious and super cheap at like $3 or something, maybe cheaper,
beautifully decorated airconed joint
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:Any recommendations of cheap bars and restaurants in Siem Reap ? Cheap as in cheap and cheerful, good value places, not the bottom of the heap. I'm thinking good food for around $4-5, pleasant atmosphere. Suitable for visitors. All suggestions welcome.
the moon villa and cafe i think it was called, i used to eat there every day, when i was last in town, they do lunch specials,
i used to have the pad thai there which was always delicious and super cheap at like $3 or something, maybe cheaper,
LOL super cheap Pad Thai ( Chicken/Shrimp?) in Siem Rep $3
Pad Thai shrimp on the beach in Phuket 70-80 baht
Pad Thai on the street in CM 50 baht
I believe cars are cheaper too?
dif is all cars in Cambodia are imported.not really sure they would be cheaper

Where i eat chicken in rice in PP opposite Kandal market is $2.00 lots of bones
chicken and rice here in Kamala 50 baht ( $1,40) no bones

Dont drink so cost of a beer or mixed cocktail is meaningless

One ++ for Cambodia , good cheap Baguettes :beer3: and the tacos at sundance for $1 is a great deal :thumb:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I think with that, you are very much heading into backpacker territory. Khmer Kitchen and all its spin-offs spring to mind. Good food but there will be plenty of soap-dodgers. Rosy's guesthouse is popular with that ilk for cheap Western food. I just saw a restaurant that is offering 30-Cent beers so prices are obviously still going down whilst leases are going through the roof. How that works, I have no clue.
phrammoianchor
Expatriate

Post by phrammoianchor »

Thats over my meal budget.

Baw baw for 2500 riel then sitting by the river is a good one but thats a cultural experience.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
LOL super cheap Pad Thai ( Chicken/Shrimp?) in Siem Rep $3
Pad Thai shrimp on the beach in Phuket 70-80 baht
Pad Thai on the street in CM 50 baht
i dont understand your point

80 baht is $2.30 not a great deal of difference
im talking about eating in a nice restaurant not on the street/beach??

i used to get Pad Thai Gai on the beach in Khao Takiab for like 35Baht

i was just merely suggesting a nice cheap place to go eat in SR
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
LionsLeftTesticle
Expatriate
San Marino

Post by LionsLeftTesticle »

I found restaurants with cheap food in SR shit.

Unless you're a Cambodian 40kg woman it might fill you.

Oh how I miss my Thailand street food.

These days I have to cook my own food to get full.

I wolfed down 4 pizzas from Meditaranio (which not tiny) and didn't even feel like a starter.
phrammoianchor
Expatriate

Post by phrammoianchor »

LionsLeftTesticle wrote:I found restaurants with cheap food in SR shit.

Unless you're a Cambodian 40kg woman it might fill you.

Oh how I miss my Thailand street food.

These days I have to cook my own food to get full.

I wolfed down 4 pizzas from Meditaranio (which not tiny) and didn't even feel like a starter.
Yeh for quality western food your gonna have to fork out a quid.
Even then it will be below expectation, I had a chicken burger in SR for 2.5 $
it was just three bits of dry bread , No butter , Some old lettuce and a few slices of dryed out chicken i took one bite and through it in the bin after gagging on it.
I dunno if the staff were lazy or just really didnt care what they were dishing out.

Best stick to khmer street food in the end.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Since when did burgers have butter on them?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic