SIEM REAP: milk powder scam is still working...

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: SIEM REAP: milk powder scam is still working...

Post by cptrelentless »

I don't wish to sound like a bitter old misogynist expat, here we go anyhow, but she's missing a trick. For the cost a few sim cards and burner phones you can earn 50k+ p/a tax free. My wife's "friend" Taing must have been raking in 4-5k a month US$, plus freelance work on top. This scam nets, what, 15-20 bucks a day. Surely that is feminist empowerment?
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

cptrelentless wrote:I don't wish to sound like a bitter old misogynist expat, here we go anyhow, but she's missing a trick. For the cost a few sim cards and burner phones you can earn 50k+ p/a tax free. My wife's "friend" Taing must have been raking in 4-5k a month US$, plus freelance work on top. This scam nets, what, 15-20 bucks a day. Surely that is feminist empowerment?
I would like to meet you're wife's friend Taing. Or perhaps you can tell us directly how that scam works.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Luigi wrote:
cptrelentless wrote:I don't wish to sound like a bitter old misogynist expat, here we go anyhow, but she's missing a trick. For the cost a few sim cards and burner phones you can earn 50k+ p/a tax free. My wife's "friend" Taing must have been raking in 4-5k a month US$, plus freelance work on top. This scam nets, what, 15-20 bucks a day. Surely that is feminist empowerment?
I would like to meet you're wife's friend Taing. Or perhaps you can tell us directly how that scam works.
Either get pregnant or pretend you did by borrowing someone else's scan, have that shit aborted because you don't want it dragging you down, tell them you're moving out to the village to be looked after by the family and there's no reception. At some point tell them it died. About seven or eight months later, usually. The more of a soft touch they are the more cash you get, and you can string out some further sympathy at the end if you are particularly skilled in manipulation. I think she's freezing her ass off in Finland now, some other sucker married her. The other trick, by a different person, is wait until your partner has bought a house and they're asleep. Take a thumb print, make sure you clean the thumb afterwards, noob, and hock that bad boy for some gambling dollars. This is your shit or bust play, though.
bawbaw@beerdiet
Tourist

Post by bawbaw@beerdiet »

cptrelentless wrote:
Luigi wrote:
Either get pregnant or pretend you did by borrowing someone else's scan, have that shit aborted because you don't want it dragging you down, tell them you're moving out to the village to be looked after by the family and there's no reception. At some point tell them it died. About seven or eight months later, usually. The more of a soft touch they are the more cash you get, and you can string out some further sympathy at the end if you are particularly skilled in manipulation. I think she's freezing her ass off in Finland now, some other sucker married her. The other trick, by a different person, is wait until your partner has bought a house and they're asleep. Take a thumb print, make sure you clean the thumb afterwards, noob, and hock that bad boy for some gambling dollars. This is your shit or bust play, though.
Funny how the first one actually works and I have seen it in action many times, third worlders really take kindness for weakness if it's cashing out.

no soul what so ever.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

if it aint broke... why fix it
ie there are always new tourists everyday that dont know the scam, so it will continue to be used,

same as the Filipino card scams
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

cptrelentless wrote:
Luigi wrote:
WOW! Just fukin WOW! And I was naive enough to think I had been around the block once or twice. Crime, scams, cons have never been my forte. I'm too stupid, lousy liar & I have a conscience for reasons I do not know. I thought having been through three world wars & watching goats fukin in the Chetumal market would prepare me for S.E.A. WOW! :popcorn:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

3 world wars>

when was the third???
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

phuketrichard wrote:if it aint broke... why fix it
ie there are always new tourists everyday that dont know the scam, so it will continue to be used,

same as the Filipino card scams
Actually, the golden days for the milk scammers are long gone. Very few people fall for it these days and many guesthouses and hotels warn their guests about it. Police pushed them out for a few months but they seem to have good connections.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

phuketrichard wrote:3 world wars>

when was the third???
If you gotta ask you weren't there.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

boozyoldman wrote:The HUY MENG MINIMART is the name of the establishment in on the scam.

A picket line of yappy feminists on the sidewalk
in front of this establishment for a few hours every evening would see the scam ended.
I'm probably going to regret asking this but why is this a job for feminists in particular?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic