Phnom.Penh dialect

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: Phnom.Penh dialect

Post by Kuroneko »

Nobody understands anyone from Prey Veng :D
iluvu
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by iluvu »

jmagic wrote:My guess is the Phnom Penh dialect has been heavily influenced by the Chinese and Vietnamese inability to produce certain sounds. The rolled R is dropped or minimized, for example "ein" to mean study or "pam" for 5.
That always got a laugh out of my friends parents back in Seattle. Dropping the R's on words like fish and girl. Riel turns into something like hiel.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

jmagic wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:03 am My guess is the Phnom Penh dialect has been heavily influenced by the Chinese and Vietnamese inability to produce certain sounds. The rolled R is dropped or minimized, for example "ein" to mean study or "pam" for 5.
if you drop the R out of Study you get អៀន Ean which means Shy/embarrassed and is a common word out here, maybe you were hearing the word wrong? you are correct about 5 though,
also in the word ច្រើន - Chraen it is often pronounced just Chaan, espeshially when saying thankyou
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
iluvu
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by iluvu »

I say study with an h so its hean
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"I say study with an h so its hean.

Exactly as it's said generally in my village but if social obligations require elevated speech the "r"
reappears and the "h" beats a hasty retreat.

Similarly"kru bangrien" undergoes changes in phonemes. "p" replaces" the transitive prefix "bang" and becomes "ku p'hian". Please note that my "i" has the same value as your"e".
My wife claims that the "r" in kru is not dropped, merely diminished. Still I can't hear it.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

iluvu wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:23 pm I say study with an h so its hean
ah i see, i was just going off your spelling :thumb:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The Phnom Penh "dialect" is actually the correct way of speaking, similar to Received Pronunciation in the UK. Anything else is a dialect, especially that incomprehensible garble we get from Siem Reap. Siem Reap is like the Scotland of Cambodia.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:45 pm The Phnom Penh "dialect" is actually the correct way of speaking, similar to Received Pronunciation in the UK. Anything else is a dialect, especially that incomprehensible garble we get from Siem Reap. Siem Reap is like the Scotland of Cambodia.
but only 3% of the UK speak RP, Cambodian RP is what you hear on the News and TV,
which is different to the common tongue a lot of people in PP speak, i find PP a mixture of Dialects tbh
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"i find PP a mixture of Dialects tbh"

As do I. When Mr.Bingham stated "Anything else is a dialect, especially that incomprehensible garble we get from Siem Reap. Siem Reap is like the Scotland of Cambodia." I assume he was talking of the province and not the city where I experienced no difficulty in either understanding or being understood. While there were pronunciation differences only minimal mental.flexibility was needed. What was strange to me was the more relaxed attitude. When I stopped at a mom and pop store to buy a beer the seller discovering that I spoke Cambodian asked to have a seat He said ",Som dak khut enkuy." instead of the traditional" "enkuy leng."
Essentially he asked me to sit my ass down something extremely gauche in our small village. When I told my wife she just smiled and said, Be glad you're not a woman, he would have asked you to sit something else down." Relaxed yes, gibberish no.
Last edited by taabarang on Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
iluvu
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by iluvu »

My Khmer has all been learned in the US. We never had a proper term for cell phone so we just called it a hand phone. Also, we are very informal in the US, especially using see for eat. With that said, I can't understand any music or TV lol.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic