Regional Cambodian Dialect/Accent

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
thelost
Expatriate

Re: Regional Cambodian Dialect/Accent

Post by thelost »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:being english we love using wordplay its a very big part of our language, a lot originating from cockney rhyming slang

Give us a Butchers = give me a look (Butchers hook = look)

Taking the mick = Taking the piss (Mickey Bliss = Piss) (as in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taking_the_piss)

im off for a gypsys = im off for a piss (Gypsies Kiss = piss)

im stood here on my jack = stood here on my own (jack jones = alone)

theres hundreds
you make australian english look bland which it is. no wonder you have some sort of interest in this cambodian version of word play though i think cockney rhyming slang is much more colourful because it has references to certain things.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: RE: Re: Regional Cambodian Dialect/Accent

Post by prahkeitouj »

thelost wrote:to me, i sometimes get an headache. maybe i'm not the type of person who likes to play on words much.
jamie_lambo wrote: did you just copy them from the sheet?
this is the actual lyrics to the song in order
yeah, i copied them from the sheet because i thought it's hard for you to read as the fonts are too ..unreadable and messy.
i find the lyric kind of boring, to be honest. the only words i find interesting is the naughty words, naturally.
prahkeitouj wrote: Some people use it to make fun with naughty words.
ស៊ុបកន្ត្រើយ ,សើយកន្រ្តុប.....
ក្តាមរត់ត...
កណ្ដោររត់មួយ...
so let me try this out....

ស៊ុបកន្ត្រើយ = ស្រើយ ក៊ុន

សើយកន្រ្តុប = ស្រុប កន្តើយ

ក្តាមរត់ត = ក្ដ រត់ ដាម kador ruat daam

កណ្ដោររត់មួយ = កណ្តួយ រត់ ម៉ោ kanduay ruat mao
Naughty words. Can't help to correct you. Let's tabarang, Jamie or UT correct it.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

There are two things of no or next to no interest to me. The first one is Cambodian Pig Latin in any form and the second one is Cambodian older women who like to play shy and coy at the same time.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
thelost
Expatriate

Re: RE: Re: Regional Cambodian Dialect/Accent

Post by thelost »

prahkeitouj wrote: Naughty words. Can't help to correct you. Let's tabarang, Jamie or UT correct it.
i already know naughty words from long time ago. it's just i dont know how to play the "vowel swapping" game. haha
jess.chhin
Tourist

Post by jess.chhin »

Hi there! Perhaps I can help you out. My mom's family is from Thmar Pouk (Banteay Meanchey province) and I was raised around her family more than my dad's. I never noticed how different the dialects were until this past December. I went there for family matters and a lot of my aunt's friends from Pursat sometimes had difficulty understanding my mom and me. Here are a couple things different in our dialect (at least, this is what Central Khmer speakers pointed out to me while I was there):

1) we shorten our words. For instance, "Day" is spelled and pronounced 'th-ngai" but we say "ngai"
2) even our pronunciation is shortened. I did not even know the word for stuck was 'choe-up' because I say "chup". This goes for all words with that pronunciation. Dance is 'ro-am', we say 'rum'. Etc.
3) I never knew this until my recent trip, but we use Thai phrases as well. For instance, we say 'yak' (hard, complicated, etc) in some situations, 'babaak' or 'yap ' in others.

There's a lot of differences but I honestly can't point all of it out since I grew up speaking this dialect. Hopes some of this helps!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic