Young woman commits vicious acid attack.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Young woman commits vicious acid attack.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Enraged with jealousy against her ex-boyfriend and his new love, a 25yo woman attacked the couple with acid in a cowardly and vicious premeditated act.

A recently engaged couple was injured after a scorned ex-lover doused the pair in acid on Monday in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district, police said.
Phnom Penh Thmey commune chief Doung Vannak told Khmer Times yesterday that officials arrested 25-year-old Peth Sereiroth, who had targeted her ex-boyfriend, Kea Samnang, 25, and his new fiancée San Sokha, 18, who was severely injured in the attack.

“The perpetrator got angry with the victim who stopped loving her and left her to get engaged to another girl,” Mr. Vannak said.

The report added that Ms. Sereiroth had visited the two at their rented house and insisted that they give her a ride home.
“On their way back, she took a bottle of acid and poured it over Ms. Sokha and Mr. Samnang’s head while they were all on the motorbike,” the report said, adding that the suspect also sustained minor injuries from the acid splatter.

Ms. Sokha suffered the brunt of the attack as her entire face was scalded from the acid...
Spoiler:
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/33881/ ... d-revenge/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Young woman commits vicious acid attack.

What happens next for the victims and the accused ? Legislation from 2012 introduced tougher penalties for acid attacks, and the accused could face up to 10 years jail, but that will be of little comfort to the victims suffering a lifelong handicap with little if any help from the state.

A future in doubt after acid attack
Thu, 5 January 2017
Kong Meta and Erin Handley

Sa Sokha had dreams of being an Apsara dancer, and her March wedding was all planned out. But the 18-year-old now wonders if that future is possible after a cruel acid attack left half of her face badly burned.
Sokha’s desire for a career in traditional dancing, with its emphasis on grace and beauty, has dwindled to only half-hopes. “I am so scared that my face won’t be the same,” she said.

Chansereiroth has been arrested and questioned by police and is expected to be sent to court this morning, Sen Sok district police chief Mok Hong said.
“We accused the suspect of intentional violence with aggravating circumstances,” he said. “We have enough evidence for her crime; we have the victim and witness statements, and her confession.”
The court will ultimately decide on the charges, but Chansereiroth could face up to 10 years in prison.

But the same legislation that has been credited with a steady decrease in acid attacks since it introduced harsher penalties for perpetrators in 2012 has proven little use for victims in other areas.
The Acid Law stipulates that the government shall provide legal support to the victims of attacks involving concentrated acid. “The protection, rehabilitation, and reintegration of victims of Concentrated Acid attack back into society shall be under the competence of Ministry of Social Affairs, Veterans and Youth Rehabilitation,” Article 12 of the law reads.

Yet Social Affairs spokesman Em Chan Makara yesterday admitted no such support had ever been provided. “So far we have never engaged with or done anything to help any acid victim,” he said...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/f ... cid-attack
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

So she's single now?

Wonder which jail she is being kept at?
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Another reason to wear a helmet...
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

kiwiincambodia wrote:So she's single now?

Wonder which jail she is being kept at?

Correctional Centre 2.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

timmydownawell wrote:Another reason to wear a helmet...
not much good in most social situations and as the vast majority are open face,no not good
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

A terrible start to the year with a second acid attack - a man's wife attacks his pregnant lover:

Sreyla, a garment worker at a small handicraft manufacturer, was collecting her paycheck when she was allegedly set upon by Vuthy’s wife, Chhum Savun, 34, along with Savun’s mother, Huy Van, 66, and siblings, Chhum Savarng, 37, and Chhum Sarvuth, 28.

“Now I cannot see, and the doctor told me that if I still cannot see in two weeks, I will be blind forever,” Sreyla said through tears.

Returning to her Ralaing Kroeul commune home for police interviews, Sreyla said she was seeking justice. She is three months pregnant with Vuthy’s child.
“I know that I love her husband, but I have never wanted them to get divorced. I told the suspect that I am willing to be the second wife,” she said.

The news comes in the week after another acid attack in which a young couple was targeted by the man’s former girlfriend, a familiar pattern in such attacks, where the perpetrator targets the face to permanently disfigure a woman embroiled in perceived infidelity.
Only three acid attacks were reported by the Post in all of last year, with four in 2015.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/w ... cid-attack

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Kampong Speu provincial police are investigating a lover’s quarrel that turned violent on Tuesday when a 23-year-old garment worker was doused in acid, allegedly by the wife of a man she was in a relationship with...

After taking samples of the acid and looking at Ms. Sreyla’s injuries, police believe it was a less potent form of battery acid. Ms. Sreyla suffered injuries to her face, arms and other parts of her body before being taken to a hospital in Phnom Penh.
[Police chief] Mr. Sak said her injuries were not serious and she left the hospital yesterday to give a statement to provincial police.

According to the complaint filed by Ms. Sreyla, she had been in a relationship with the woman’s husband for three years and commune police officials had been called multiple times to stop the relationship by the man’s wife.
Surprisingly, they heeded the calls and did try to end the relationship, making both Ms. Sreyla and the woman’s husband promise not to see each other again.
But they continued to see each other and continued an intimate relationship...

A CASC report in 2010 titled “Breaking the Silence: Addressing Acid Attacks in Cambodia,” found that jealousy, anger and revenge were often the biggest motivators for acid attacks in the kingdom.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/34261/ ... id-attack/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Is adultery against the law in Cambodia?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"Is adultery against the law in Cambodia?"

For women adultery is grounds for divorce. As for men, well boys will be boys except when they're not.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic