Seeking hiking companions for Veal Thom trek in Virachey NP

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Matt125
Tourist

Seeking hiking companions for Veal Thom trek in Virachey NP

Post by Matt125 »

I'm looking for hiking companions to share the cost of the 7 day Veal Thom trek in Virachey National Park some time around mid January - I am flexible with dates.

Trek details here:

Details here: https://virachey-ecotourism.jimdo.com/h ... grassland/

It's run by the Virachey National Park Ecotourism Office (banlung) and camping gear, as well as a park ranger and indigenous guide are provided in the cost. Ranger will help you buy food before. I've read it's an incredible hike and takes you to remote and beautiful parts of the park few people go. There are boat trips and home stays involved. The park is very at risk, so our money will be going to a great cause.

The cost is $513 USD. If I can find 2 more people to split the cost I can afford it (though the more the merrier - and cheaper!).

I'm a friendly 26 year old Australian guy and I'm a very relaxed and accommodating hiking companion. If you're fitter than me and want to walk ahead I don't mind, if you're slower, or need to take lots of breaks I don't mind, if you want to talk a lot and get to know each other I welcome that, if you prefer your own company and quiet that's fine too... as you can see I just really want to do this trek, but can't afford $500 on my own.

Message me for my email.

Cheers,
Matt

(Disclaimer: I'm not an expat, but I have spoken to a few who want to do this hike - so I thought I'd post here as well)
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Seeking hiking companions for Veal Thom trek in Virachey NP

Post by General Mackevili »

Hi Matt.

Are you sure that price is correct? $500 for a hike in Cambodia sounds awfully expensive. Maybe you have an extra 0 on that.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Seeking hiking companions for Veal Thom trek in Virachey NP

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Nope, Virachey is quite expensive as I pointed out on TOF. Only way in (besides being an illegal logger) is through the forestry. They charge something like $10 rice and pork meals, $10 hammock rental and shit like that. Pricey, but one of the last tiny specs of wilderness here.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic