Sihanoukville airport is being renovated.

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Re: Sihanoukville airport is being renovated.

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

I don't know do English operate australian and american airports ? :D
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

well, think the US does their own mostly, and the English along with one Aussie company do most of the Commonwealth. "This has nothing to do with commerce and profits of course. It is stricly in the best interest of safety. Driving habits, left vs right to prevent bodily harm". :lol:
Barang_doa_slae wrote:I don't know do English operate australian and american airports ? :D
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

I thought the Russkies originally laid down that runway, so it should be able to take a fully laden Antonov. If there was subsidence you'd notice all the bumps.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

cptrelentless wrote:I thought the Russkies originally laid down that runway, so it should be able to take a fully laden Antonov. If there was subsidence you'd notice all the bumps.
Same as many in the 90's, I landed a couple of times on that original tarmac in the early 00 as a passenger in a chartered twin otter. I can't recall anything special.
Around the same years, the "pmt" flight was the only airline operating from shv but that didn't last long with the crash of their first plane plane on the Oral mountain (their second plane is now seating on top of the russian classic building).

In the late 00 together with adding a radar and other security equipments vinci made the runway longer and resurfaced it. It was noticeable by just walking on it. At that time I saw a private 737 stationned there a couple of days.

I think today's announced extension is mainly focusing on the passager terminal and will see the road to Ream moved closer to the mountain following the fence they erected a few years ago.

For the future, the development plan allowed for a second longer runaway for big planes. However it was always made clear that this plan implementation would depends on passengers numbers as well as on political will. Vinci idea was to lighten pochentong future burden by having some direct international big planes land here, together with a Pochentong last extension.
However I am under the impression that HE regular speaches toyings about the airports developments never helped make Vinci feel very confident.
For exemple I never could see the point of telling you want a second korean airport in SR, giving Pochentong airport land's to squatters, telling you want a new international airport one day in K chnang, one day in speu, one day in a secret location when having already signed and even renewed a monopoly agreement with Vinci until 2040. Surely that isn't showing much love.
I always thought it wasn't very smart from him regarding such an important national matter which need the full confidence of the various stakeholders.

Now it would also be interesting to compare today's passengers numbers with phu Kok's airport. From what I saw years ago on google map, it already had several taxi ways and seemed way more accomplished and ready than the SHV airport (but apparently sitting empty all the same).
It was said at the time that the evil yuons plan was to kill our SHV airport before it ever could become one. Hence the time it took angkor airways to open their long awaited SR/SHV liaison.
If the plan could have made sense, I am very glad it seems to have failed.
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

Yes, that is true. AN-2 a biplane still in use today, AN-24 a light turboprop and very popular for military ops, (Bayon Airlines operates modern chinese copies),and the biggest hauler worldwide, the AN-225 are only a few of the Antonov family variants. Sihanoukville airport is suitable for up to the midsized ones, fully laden. As mentionened in the article they would be in the 80 to 100 tonne range, mostly represented by B737s and A320s. A Boeing 747 (350-400 tonnes) or the AN- 225 (500+tonnes) are too big.
cptrelentless wrote:I thought the Russkies originally laid down that runway, so it should be able to take a fully laden Antonov. If there was subsidence you'd notice all the bumps.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Sihanouk airport upgrade on track
14 September 2017
- Renovations to Sihanoukville international airport which will allow it to handle bigger planes will be finished by the end of the year (around May 2018) as planned, the country’s aviation body said.

About 60 (36% – as of end August 2017) percent of construction was complete, said Sin Chansereyvutha, spokesman for the State Secretariat of Civil Aviation.
A ground-breaking ceremony for the expansion took place in December. Work to the terminal and taxiway will give the airport, about 12 kilometres from the coastal beach and seaport, the capacity to handle up to 500,000 tourists a year.

The cost of the terminal extension and new taxiway is between $12 million and $15 million.It is part of a $2 billion investment programme until 2040 for the development of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, and Sihanoukville international airports. All three are operated by Cambodia Airports, which is 70 percent owned by Vinci Airports.

Currently, there are five regular flights – four involving local airlines and AirAsia – which operate in the Sihanoukville airport. Another eight airlines charter flights from China and Vietnam...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5082794/sih ... ade-track/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

27 June 2018
Sihanoukville: Bang on time, the new extensions at Sihanouk Airport were inaugurated today, 27 June 2018. The upgrading and extension of the terminal and runway that began in December 2016 are now complete.
The affair was attended by the Secretary of Civil Aviation, HE Mao Havannal, the Governor of Sihanoukville, and other notables.
Photos Huy Bunleng
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I wonder what they did to strengthen underneath the runway . Many years ago it was once described by one of the drilling and construction experts as being like the skin on a rice pudding and when a heavy plane landed the tarmac moved up and down like a wave on the ocean .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

@Duncan
Are you suggesting that the runways are built to the same standards as the roads ?
That is a truly scary thought. :shock:
mil spec
do you see any families coming from overseas? nope. all blokes of mil service age- one child policy i guess.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Barang_doa_slae wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:46 pm
Anchor Moy wrote:@Duncan
Are you suggesting that the runways are built to the same standards as the roads ?
That is a truly scary thought. :shock:

I am a close friend to the former airport director in place during the first renovation round. He told me it was very good.

Also it is Vinci that did the job and they are one of the (if not) the leading worldwide airport operators.
Duncan assertions sound a but dubious if he can't back them up.

That also sound a bit dubious ,, unless you can back it up.,,, But then he told you it was good for what. Was he talking about the paintwork ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic