British Expat Jonathan Briercliffe Found Dead on Christmas Eve in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: British Expat Jonathan Briercliffe Found Dead in Pool of Blood on Christmas Eve in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by Cam Nivag »

General Mackevili wrote: *She feels very violated by the way the police did the investigation, with 20 officers running around her house and his, looking at everything and even one officer riding her daughter's bicycle around the house.

Again, condolences to his friends and family, but most importantly to her and his daughter. :(
This is actually a good reminder to never let police into your house, especially in Cambodia. Cambodian dudes love few things more than prying into foreigners lives and staring and going through their stuff. In hindsight, she should have just kept her house off limits, as it had nothing to do with the death. That may be easier said than done.
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: British Expat Jonathan Briercliffe Found Dead in Pool of Blood on Christmas Eve in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by Bertros »

Cam Nivag wrote:
General Mackevili wrote: *She feels very violated by the way the police did the investigation, with 20 officers running around her house and his, looking at everything and even one officer riding her daughter's bicycle around the house.

Again, condolences to his friends and family, but most importantly to her and his daughter. :(
This is actually a good reminder to never let police into your house, especially in Cambodia. Cambodian dudes love few things more than prying into foreigners lives and staring and going through their stuff. In hindsight, she should have just kept her house off limits, as it had nothing to do with the death. That may be easier said than done.
I didn't realize you could stop them (the police). if there is the possibility of a crime (say death, for example), you can not keep them out in the USA.
how do you do it in cambodia?

just curious

Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

You can keep them out of your house if they don't have a warrant or an emergency need to enter. Here, it sounds like she and the husband were living in separate apartments. In the US, they would have no authority to enter a neighboring apartment to the deceased's apartment.

In Cambodia, I recall that there was a shooting at or outside a nightclub a few months back and the police couldn't enter for hours simply because the owner told them to fuck off. Khmer police are not as forceful as in the USA, I think you could stand at your door and growl/yell at them and confront them as to why they think they need 20 officers in your house and similarly tell most or all of them to fuck right off.
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

Cam Nivag wrote:You can keep them out of your house if they don't have a warrant or an emergency need to enter. Here, it sounds like she and the husband were living in separate apartments. In the US, they would have no authority to enter a neighboring apartment to the deceased's apartment.

In Cambodia, I recall that there was a shooting at or outside a nightclub a few months back and the police couldn't enter for hours simply because the owner told them to fuck off. Khmer police are not as forceful as in the USA, I think you could stand at your door and growl/yell at them and confront them as to why they think they need 20 officers in your house and similarly tell most or all of them to fuck right off.
you're an idiot. in the states 'probable cause' has a wide latitude. death of a body is (well) within that category. in cambo, I recon it's up to them who be there.

they'll come in, now or later. argue (or tell them to fuck off) at your own peril.

take pictures and write everything down...we'll take up a crowd funding for your buys at the prison store.

cheers

Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

On several occasions I gave a lecture to SHV forensic teams that I wouln't allow more than a handful of officers to enter the room.
To my surprise they listened to me.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

so you only lectured a handful?
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

One old major, whom I respect sided with me and gave the appropriate order so we were only 5 (two barangs included) to enter the house which could have been a crime scene.
On other circumstances I have seen up to a dozen cops enter, sometimes going out to give new ones a chance to see if the rooms where too packed
:facepalm:
The_Notorious_N.E.D.
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by The_Notorious_N.E.D. »

... Guys, Cambodian law regarding search & seizure and warrants etc isn't some great mystery or point of controversy. It is very knowable info, so to speak.

"In case of a flagrant offence, judicial police may conduct a search at anytime, after obtaining the authorization from the Royal Prosecutor, which is valid even if the authorization is verbal (art. 91 CCCP)

"Search of home: A written consent from the occupant of the house is required for a search to be conducted. Where the occupant denies access for search, the President of the Court of First Instance who has territorial jurisdiction may authorize the search and the Prosecutor shall personally lead the search. It cannot be conducted before six o clock in the morning and after six o clock in the evening. (art.113 CCCP)"

... Granted, I was a paralegal once upon a time in a past life so I have some expertise in looking up statutes I guess, but you don't have to speculate or go on anecdotal evidence in the form of personal accounts of police behavior in order to find out what the laws actually are. Now, whether those laws are followed or ignored typically, that's always an adventure, but what they have written down is usually pretty cut and dry.

NK
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Bertros wrote:
you're an idiot. in the states 'probable cause' has a wide latitude. death of a body is (well) within that category.
She lives in a different residence. Death of a body in one house/apartment doesn't give police probable cause to barge into separate residences of neighbors, friends, family members, etc.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

The_Notorious_N.E.D. wrote:... Guys, Cambodian law regarding search & seizure and warrants etc isn't some great mystery or point of controversy. It is very knowable info, so to speak.

"In case of a flagrant offence, judicial police may conduct a search at anytime, after obtaining the authorization from the Royal Prosecutor, which is valid even if the authorization is verbal (art. 91 CCCP)

"Search of home: A written consent from the occupant of the house is required for a search to be conducted. Where the occupant denies access for search, the President of the Court of First Instance who has territorial jurisdiction may authorize the search and the Prosecutor shall personally lead the search. It cannot be conducted before six o clock in the morning and after six o clock in the evening. (art.113 CCCP)"

... Granted, I was a paralegal once upon a time in a past life so I have some expertise in looking up statutes I guess, but you don't have to speculate or go on anecdotal evidence in the form of personal accounts of police behavior in order to find out what the laws actually are. Now, whether those laws are followed or ignored typically, that's always an adventure, but what they have written down is usually pretty cut and dry.

NK
Good one! That's why I go to bed at six in the morning and have my coffee at six at night. They better bring a blow torch and full tanks if they want to come in during their 'work hours'. Heavy hinges on these steel doors! J/k
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic