Important info on Thai visa exempt entries

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Important info on Thai visa exempt entries

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Barang_doa_slae wrote::plus1:

Will the wheel chair draw the best looking ones attention ? (pity is fine too). It might then remind me how it was 15 years ago when in my prime.

However knowing better that I fear it will only be the old mares that notice me, that would then be counterproductive but an interesting time travel experience all the same.
:horse:
you will be alright mate, chicks dig scars! 8)
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
:ROFL:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

UPDATE

Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Vietnam, Mongolia have still unlimited entries for 30 days. Cambodia 15 days
Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Peru entries for 90 days, South Korean 90 days by Air only.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
4000islandsguy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by 4000islandsguy »

Just an update on this... My friends in Laos are saying they are all being warned they only get two exempt entries. I think people in Cambodia don't care as much but if you live in Laos this sucks for supply chain. Every single restaurant and guesthouse in Laos that is foreign orientated depends on Thailand to get supplies.

Anyway I won't bore you with the trivial details of how it impacts ex pats in Laos but this post is to say that the new rules are in place and definitely being enforced.
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

How many months will it take for them to realise that people are not returning so much and spending money so they then have to back-peddle and cancel this?. Some of the supermarkets and warehouse places over the border areas in LOS will start moaning first.
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by snookieboi »

so for UK passport holders, land borders have gone from 15b days entry to 30 days, twice max a year??
More than just any old backpacker.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

snookieboi wrote:so for UK passport holders, land borders have gone from 15b days entry to 30 days, twice max a year??
JUST READ WHAT I POSTED
if that does not help, perhaps stay home.
Every single restaurant and guesthouse in Laos that is foreign orientated depends on Thailand to get supplies...Some of the supermarkets and warehouse places over the border areas in LOS will start moaning first.
this does NOT affect Laotians or Cambodians ONLY Farangs/ Barangs

I see an opportunity for a business here,...... online order and delivery
or a smart local who goes around and ask's Farang owned business's what they need...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Unfortunately, with a very long and very porous border Laos is intimately linked with T-land, and as "LOS" starts shutting the country down a la North Korea, the Lao PDR is inevitably affected. I don't think there is any land crossing to Myanburmar, China and Vietnam are on the other side of the mountains (24-hour plus bus rides, or pay for flights), the crossing with Cambodia (Veun Kham/Dom Kralor) is quite remote, beyond 4000 Islands.

For expats in Laos, It's not a huge problem. Unless things have changed, you can get a one-year multiple-entry visa (or, possibly 6 months), either through your employer or an agent. So, it's just the people who do borders runs every 30 days to get a new Lao visa, literally for years, are the only ones affected. Nowadays, most everything you need is available in Laos, and as the Lao PDR conintues to develop, there will be less and less need to travel to Thailand for anything.

Plus as it says, you can still fly in, if you really want to for some weird reason.

Another, more important point is why Thailand has decided to limit these free entries. The answer, of course, is they need the revenue. 35 million tourists per year (probably 40 - 45 million for 2017) is not enough if they're showing up with paying for a visa.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
lurcio
Expatriate
Guatemala

Post by lurcio »

snookieboi wrote:so for UK passport holders, land borders have gone from 15b days entry to 30 days, twice max a year??
It's been 30 days for the last 3 years or so when crossing at the land borders. The difference is now you can only do it twice a calendar year.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

sigmoid wrote:Unfortunately, with a very long and very porous border Laos is intimately linked with T-land, and as "LOS" starts shutting the country down a la North Korea, the Lao PDR is inevitably affected. I don't think there is any land crossing to Myanburmar, China and Vietnam are on the other side of the mountains (24-hour plus bus rides, or pay for flights), the crossing with Cambodia (Veun Kham/Dom Kralor) is quite remote, beyond 4000 Islands.

For expats in Laos, It's not a huge problem. Unless things have changed, you can get a one-year multiple-entry visa (or, possibly 6 months), either through your employer or an agent. So, it's just the people who do borders runs every 30 days to get a new Lao visa, literally for years, are the only ones affected. Nowadays, most everything you need is available in Laos, and as the Lao PDR conintues to develop, there will be less and less need to travel to Thailand for anything.

Plus as it says, you can still fly in, if you really want to for some weird reason.

Another, more important point is why Thailand has decided to limit these free entries. The answer, of course, is they need the revenue. 35 million tourists per year (probably 40 - 45 million for 2017) is not enough if they're showing up with paying for a visa.
ONE simple reason, to limit/STOP those people living and working in thailand illegally!!
ps; there only calling for 32 mil tourist this year
Thailand is not "shutting " the country down at all!!

land crossing from where to where?
u can cross from laos to China, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand and if ur a local to Burma
From Thailand u can cross by land to Burma, Malaysia, Laos and Cambodia
I hvae no idea what ur on about
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic