Should used car imports be banned ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Should used car imports be banned ?

Post by Anchor Moy »

The governor of Phnom Penh has suggested banning imports of used cars into the kingdom as a measure to ease traffic congestion in PP. HE says he is against it.
A better suggestion might be enforcing drivers licences and traffic rules, fine people for obstructive parking, and set up a compulsory vehicule registration including regular safety and pollution controls. And also a public transport system. More and better use of ferries to free up the bridges. Etc.

PM Rebuffs Governor’s Proposal to Ban Imports of Used Cars
by Phan Soumy | December 2, 2016

A suggestion by Phnom Penh’s governor to ban used-car imports as a way to unclog the capital’s traffic congestion was quickly shot down on Thursday by Prime Minister HE.

Pa Socheatvong told traffic police in a meeting on Tuesday that he was planning to ask the government to consider the ban, said Ty Long, deputy chief of the National Police’s public order department, who attended the meeting...

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/pm-r ... rs-121354/
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Should used car imports be banned ?

Post by Duncan »

They could start solving the traffic problem by starting a boat/ferry service ,[ as per Thailand ] to go up the Tonle Sap and down as far as Takhmau. Presently the city bus to Takhmau takes one and a half hours to two hours yet it is only 12 km away from PP .

The city bus system is not working properly as many people, including myself have given up waiting for a bus. I think they have taken many busses of the road to try and make the system profitable.

I counted 12 busses parked up and not being used, [ not this photo ] at the depot across from the Monivong bridge , plus the 6 to 8 that are usually sitting at the riverside bus stop.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

so some minister says they should and HE says no.

non story then
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

What a silly idea. This is basically so that him and his rich connected buddies can have the roads to themselves? A tax on the poor? What do you expect... None of these guys have a degree in urban planning or lived abroad to witness other solutions.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

aren't about 75% ( or more) of the cars in Cambodia ..used and imported?
after all Cambodia does not produce cars (at least not that i am aware of)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

ban my ass (arse for the brits) so that only the connected can import over priced cars into the country? just let the bloody city jammed up so bad that it would be useless to own a car anyway, or do what the super rich in jarkata r doing, use chartered helicopters to go to work.
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

phuketrichard wrote:aren't about 75% ( or more) of the cars in Cambodia ..used and imported?
At least Hyundai, Ford and some Chinese, maybe Great Wall(?), have assembly factories here. And Nissan considering setting up a factory too in near future. Most cars probably goes to Vietnamese and Laos markets though. I think there are no tax incentives for locally produced cars here like Thailand and Malaysia have.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:What a silly idea. This is basically so that him and his rich connected buddies can have the roads to themselves? A tax on the poor? What do you expect... None of these guys have a degree in urban planning or lived abroad to witness other solutions.
Fuck they don't even need a degree, they can just look at what Bangkok has gone through in last 20/30 years and tailor it to PP. God knows they go there often enough for hospitals, shopping, etc. But when you just don't really give a shite...
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

rogerrabbit wrote:
phuketrichard wrote:aren't about 75% ( or more) of the cars in Cambodia ..used and imported?
At least Hyundai, Ford and some Chinese, maybe Great Wall(?), have assembly factories here. And Nissan considering setting up a factory too in near future. Most cars probably goes to Vietnamese and Laos markets though. I think there are no tax incentives for locally produced cars here like Thailand and Malaysia have.
99.9999% of vehicles here are imported, if you include the ones put back together here, even many of the new cars imported are nearly a year off production as they're the ones the dealers can't sell in Europe/NA/Arab, and they try to pass them of as ´new models' here.
There's absolutely no incentive to build any proper factories for any of these types of goods here instead of neighbouring countries...crap infracsture, circuitous importing, high electricity costs, etc. The car factories are putting out just a few hundred a piece if that!
youngbritmale
Tourist

Post by youngbritmale »

I haven't read all the comments, so excuse me if you think it is irrelevant, but my take on it is, that the giant car manufacturers are wanting to protect their investments (setting up shop in the country as well as keeping the country under their thumb as much as possible). If there are no used imports, or a small number (good cars, if the importers know what they are doing and where to source them from, defo good enough for Cambodia, for now at the very least) then the market share would be dominated by these rich multi- national companies. If that were to happen, with the cost of the vehicles so much compared to local wages, then that would be an easy way to take vast amounts of money out of the system, after all these global corporations pay whatever they want realistically in tax. There needs to be a happy medium and that's not it. Well done to HE fro resisting is all I say! And shame on the idiot who thought it was a good idea, I think he needs to sort out his priorities! Feel free to offer some criticism if you think i'm wrong. Best thing to do is to encourage mechanics to keep on learning and offer a good value for their services, that way keeping the cars already their in running order. You can pick up cars (pretty decent too) in the uk for a few hundred quid and spend a day fixing it up and that would last 10 plus years in a place like Cambodia, as it wouldn't be doing the same sort of mileage.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic