Should used car imports be banned ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Should used car imports be banned ?

Post by frank lee bent »

eliminate poverty by banning money
there are still some fruitcake ideas left over from the KR era
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

frank lee bent wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:44 pm eliminate poverty by banning money

Are you one of them?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

frank lee bent wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:44 pm eliminate poverty by banning money
actually abolishing money is not bad of an idea, back to barter trade, eliminates the evil process of money making money and sucking so much money from the poor but ofc to do that we hv to endure a few years of world war and complete meltdown first
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
youngbritmale
Tourist

Post by youngbritmale »

frank lee bent wrote: eliminate poverty by banning money
Is that aimed at my comment?
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

You need to understand that there's a lot of backroom stuff going on here, HE's family and friends are heavily involved in importing grey market new highend cars so the dealers will be hitting their heads on the wall for a while still(although some are also involved in these businesses). Also, he's not gonna ban imports of older cars, that would be foolish with the middle class folks that aspire to buy or upgrade.
About 2 years ago, I remember reading an article about the gov drastically lowering tax for chinese moto/vehicle imports, and many chinese motorbikes started coming in with cheap prices, not as cheap as in china where you can buy a bike for around 300$, but still cheap, but Khmers never took to them due to poor quality, except dor some specific models like the MSX that they brand as taiwanese. However, not many cars are imported. I'm sure the quality factor is an issue for buyers but there must be some other factors impacting this. If you could buy a 15-20 year old import camry or a brand new Chinese clone for the same price, which one would you buy? Was watching this video the other day about Chinese cars.
youngbritmale
Tourist

Post by youngbritmale »

Also, he's not gonna ban imports of older cars, that would be foolish with the middle class folks that aspire to buy or upgrade.
That's basically what I mean. Seems there are double standards everywhere then, I suppose that's human nature for you though. I watched that video and I can not believe the crash test! dead, dead, dead came to mind. didn't see the speed on it either but I reckon that crash was at 60mph ish. I wouldn't go for a camry tbh though. HONDA CIVIC TYPE R more like! rally car racing round Cambodia whoo, that's one for the future I bet, way into the future!! was going to add a little joke at the end there but I think flb might not like it.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Is that aimed at my comment?
no, it is aimed at the title of this thread.
why you would think otherwise is puzzling.
eliminate poverty by banning money

Are you one of them?
one of them what? an idea?
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Raybull wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:27 am You need to understand that there's a lot of backroom stuff going on here, HE's family and friends are heavily involved in importing grey market new highend cars so the dealers will be hitting their heads on the wall for a while still(although some are also involved in these businesses). Also, he's not gonna ban imports of older cars, that would be foolish with the middle class folks that aspire to buy or upgrade.
About 2 years ago, I remember reading an article about the gov drastically lowering tax for chinese moto/vehicle imports, and many chinese motorbikes started coming in with cheap prices, not as cheap as in china where you can buy a bike for around 300$, but still cheap, but Khmers never took to them due to poor quality, except dor some specific models like the MSX that they brand as taiwanese. However, not many cars are imported. I'm sure the quality factor is an issue for buyers but there must be some other factors impacting this. If you could buy a 15-20 year old import camry or a brand new Chinese clone for the same price, which one would you buy? Was watching this video the other day about Chinese cars.
Interesting video. Especially the prices. $8000 is pretty cheap even if they are crap. Do you have any links like that to Great Wall or GAC cars? If not, do you know anything about those brands as I see they are selling them in Cambodia.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

I just wanted to chip in, even though it's a few months old.

That video is so full of shit it's laughable. These guys obviously know next to nothing about cars, mispronouncing the companies names, making up stuff about Suzukis and VWs...seriously ignorant.

That crash test was from the Brilliance BS6 and that was a preliminary test. They and many other manufacturers have their cars up to standard the same as any other Western brand car IF you want to pay for it. The cheaper cars like Lifans and Cherys (which are about $4500 USD, so common, what do you expect?) are cars that don't pass but again, who cares?

Also, shift cables and rubber hoses are really really cheap parts and take less than a few minutes to replace for any average brained tech. So to get 100k out of a car that cost $4000-5000 is arguably not bad at all.

Okay, now on to brands here. I personally don't know anything about if the factories are here or not making then, I kind of lean towards no in terms of a fully fledged factory. A knockdown kit factory maybe, but given that Great Wall diesel pickups are still over $20k while Ford Rangers are $28k for a base model, I think they're already assembled in China and sent over here, or at the very least they have their motors and drivetrain done and those are just wired into the vehicle afterwards. I could be wrong, but if Chinese cars were assembled here and avoid import tax, I'd think they'd be a hell of a lot cheaper.

As for Great Wall, they're thirsty and fall apart, at least the X240 and Wingle. I know someone who's tried one, and they're rubbish.

I also know one who's tried a diesel flatbed (Forland? I think), and the entire axle separated from the frame when they hit a patch of rough roads.

If the prices were a lot lower, then I'd think of trying one, but for now I wouldn't touch one. We still have our pair of Hyundai diesels from 10 years ago and besides minor repairs, they're still doing fine.
-insert signature here
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic