Woman Died After Breast Plastic Surgery

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh: Woman died after she was undergone with some sort of breast plastic surgery at a private clinic call, De Beaute Clinic located in Russie Keo district, Phnom Penh. The woman died at around 4:00 pm on 20 November 2016. A day after the incident, the deputy prosecutor of the municipal court of Phnom Penh ordered a temporarily close down of the clinic. Adding that, the operation was appeared some technical errors.

The victim told the paper that, before she decided to come to this cline for her plastic surgery, she saw the clinic’s advertisement on Facebook. His wife first chatted directly to the clinic facebook page for inquires related to the operation and started her bargaining which it ended up for 3000 USD, the operation fee.

He added, after two days of operation, his wife was hit with drug reaction used during the surgery which needed immediate medical attention. She was brought to ICU hospital where doctor said she couldn’t be saved, because the over amount of medicines and drugs used during the operation somehow had destroyed her inside organs

Last edited by CEOCambodiaNews on Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Woman Died After Breast Plastic Surgery

Deadly Breast Implant Leads To Closure Of Clinic

by Chhorn Phearun and Janelle Retka | November 22, 2016

A cosmetic surgery clinic in Phnom Penh was shuttered on Monday pending an investigation into a breast implant surgery that resulted in a 36-year-old woman’s death, according to officials.

Ros Sokny, a television vendor from Kratie province, had seen an advertisement for breast enhancement surgery at De Beaute Clinic in Russei Keo district on Facebook “a long time ago” and had been planning her own surgery since, said her husband, Phai Veasna, 36, on Monday.

full-story.......https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/dead ... ic-120834/
Last edited by CEOCambodiaNews on Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Police review death of patient at cosmetic surgery clinic

Tue, 22 November 2016
Sen David and Erin Handley

Police said yesterday that they are investigating potential medical malpractice following the death of a woman shortly after she underwent breast augmentation surgery at a Phnom Penh cosmetic surgery clinic.

De Beauté Clinic in Russei Keo district closed its doors temporarily yesterday after Phai Veasna, 36, demanded an investigation into the death of his wife, Ros Sokny, also 36, who died on Sunday, three days after she had undergone breast surgery at the clinic.

full-story....http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/p ... ery-clinic
Last edited by CEOCambodiaNews on Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Woman Died During Breast Plastic Surgery

Post by cptrelentless »

Organ failure sounds more like sepsis, I've seen some horrible abscesses from cheap boob jobs, they have them on the telly back home.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

cptrelentless wrote:Organ failure sounds more like sepsis, I've seen some horrible abscesses from cheap boob jobs, they have them on the telly back home.
^^^^Absolutely!

However once again the headline is erroneous. She did not die during surgery but prolly due to surgery. A useless detail I realize.

My condolences to her family.

''they have them on the telly back home.

Are you saying they show breast augmentation on TV? Or advertisement for such?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

However, US-trained doctor Mengly Quach warned against undergoing any surgery in Cambodia, whether elective cosmetic surgery or otherwise, citing a lack of capacity in Cambodian medical schools.
Absolutely this. We know that certain (but not all) Cambodian medical practitioners have paid for their exams and diplomas. This is fact. Unfortunately, this means that all locally trained surgeons are suspect. This clinic was 'legally licensed", but what does that mean in Cambodia ? Probably that you have paid a licence fee to the correct authorities.

That is such a pathetic story. A healthy woman is dead because she wanted beautiful breasts. RIP.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: RE: Re: Woman Died During Breast Plastic Surgery

Post by cptrelentless »

Luigi wrote:
cptrelentless wrote:Organ failure sounds more like sepsis, I've seen some horrible abscesses from cheap boob jobs, they have them on the telly back home.
^^^^Absolutely!

However once again the headline is erroneous. She did not die during surgery but prolly due to surgery. A useless detail I realize.

My condolences to her family.

''they have them on the telly back home.

Are you saying they show breast augmentation on TV? Or advertisement for such?
Lowbrow TV like My Horrific Surgery Abroad
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Sounds like it might be toxic shock syndrome, a rare but not unknown side effect of breast augmentation. TSS can lead to multi organ failure if not managed promptly. Generally caused by toxin producing strains of S.aureus getting into the bloodstream, and usually occurs 12-24 hours after the augmentation surgery. This evidently is much earlier than is usual, in surgical site infections (Holm C, Muhlbauer W (1998))

“The doctor knew that my wife’s condition had become more serious,” he said. “The doctor told me to go somewhere else for treatment, because he didn’t have the equipment to treat her.”

The above statement sounds a bit flippant "go somewhere else", but maybe just the translation. Certainly in my opinion the Dr.should have been been aware of possible adverse reactions and had referral pathways ready and coordinated this emergency.

"One of the surgeons who had performed her breast enhancement—whose name he could not recall—referred the patient to the nearby ICU Clinic, also a private practice, Mr. Veasna said."

Ok one of the surgeons "who will remain nameless" makes a referral to a nearby ICU clinic. But unfortunately she dies, and seeing that fatality from Staphylococcal toxic shock syndrome is around %5 it tends to infer that this clinic needs investigating with regards to its IC procedures. Of course to be fair the TSS could have been caused by S. pyogenes which is more severe and causes death in about 30% of patients. Hopefully an inquiry will resolve this issue.

Sok Kanha, deputy director of the ministry’s planning and health information department, said Cambodia does not have “a law or regulation” to provide licenses specifically for cosmetic surgery.

As far as I know, we don’t provide licenses for plastic surgery clinics. Only hospitals, polyclinics and private clinics,” she said before directing further questions to the ministry’s hospital department."

In the light of this tragic event I hope the above oversight will be addressed. To be fair the MOH has made great progress in the last 20 years, but as we see there is still quite a way to go.

Condolences to her family during this sad time.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

It was "registered" ...
However, Russei Keo District Governor Chea Pisie said that the plastic surgery clinic that Sokny had attended was a legal medical business and had been properly registered with the Ministry of Health.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

From the Cambodia Daily article above:
Thida Khus, a prominent women’s rights advocate, said the lack of regulation allowed cosmetic surgery clinics “popping up everywhere in the country” to function under general licenses while practicing specialty procedures without constraint.

“People pay less attention because it’s just a superficial surgery,” she said, citing breast enhancement, botox injections and eye lifts as common procedures available in Cambodia.

The oversight of how surgeons are trained is poor at best, she added.

“There is no such thing as certified training because there is no regulation on that. So if you can read Khmer, you can drive around and see places offering training in a variety of beauty enhancement practices," Ms. Khus said.

“People learn how to do this, and then they go out and try to test it out."
Holy hell. :facepalm:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic