Old man has slingshots confiscated by police.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Old man has slingshots confiscated by police.

Post by Anchor Moy »

Curious. Apparently it was ok for him to sell machetes and axes at the Water Festival, but homemade slingshots threaten '''social stability ''. The poor old boy had ridden his bicycle all the way from Kratie.
ImageGRK.
Police take slingshots to protect ‘social stability’
An elderly man was briefly arrested and detained on Monday for selling slingshots during the Water Festival celebration in the capital, an act police termed a threat to “social stability”.

Phnom Penh deputy police chief Song Ly said that 70-year-old Nuon Samon had ridden his bicycle – loaded with a box of homemade tools including slingshots, machetes, axes, scissors and saws – from Kratie’s Sambor district to the capital on the first day of the festival to sell the weapons, but was arrested the next day and detained for about an hour before he was released.

“Authorities freed him and returned him his stuff, except the 22 slingshots,” Ly said.

Samon allegedly told police that he “did not know selling slingshots in the city is illegal”, and while Ly agreed there was no law against it, he said the slingshots were taken to “ensure social stability and security”.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/p ... -stability
Sailorman
Expatriate

Re: Old man has slingshots confiscated by police.

Post by Sailorman »

Is owning a slingshot illegal in Cambodia?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Sailorman wrote:Is owning a slingshot illegal in Cambodia?
Try reading the article: "and while Ly agreed there was no law against it".
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Try reading what I wrote. I said Cambodia, not Phnom Penh.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Sailorman wrote:Try reading what I wrote. I said Cambodia, not Phnom Penh.
I would say it's highly unlikely (to be illegal) as most rural homes will have them for catching field rats, and slowing down the chicken that's been nominated for dinner.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Ok, a possible answer to the question "Why on earth would selling slingshots in PP be a big deal for the authorities?" is suggested at the end of the PPP article.
However, the government itself has been accused of using slingshots to disrupt social order. In 2013 dozens of thugs descended on a peaceful vigil at Wat Phnom, attacking attendees with slingshots and electric batons in an assault that bore the hallmarks of government orchestration.

Cambodia Center for Human Rights advocacy director Duch Piseth pointed out the seeming contradiction saying authorities “judge other people by their bad actions while they judge themselves by their good intentions”.
That seems a totally paranoid reason to confiscate slingshots, but anything's possible.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

ចំពាមកៅស៊ូបង្កឲ្យមានគ្រោះថ្នាក់

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

LS, use your English. :o Translation : Slingshots are dangerous.

Ok, slingshots are dangerous but so are machetes.
Can you usually buy them at markets in PP ? Or do the police arrest the sellers ?

It is interesting to see what is considered dangerous.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

If I remember correctly there were several incidents of youthful Khmer taking potshots with slingshots at foreign strollers or cyclists along the riverside. So I feel that circumstances rather than the slingshots themselves were the issue. I readily admit that my explanation does not explain why the peddler was allowed to keep his machetes. The Water Festival does not seem like an appropriate venue for the sale of weapons.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

they heaved half bricks that connected with barangs dining on riverside 3 years ago. said to be spawn of some bong thom.

ever shoot those muzzle loading muskets made in Laos? they double shot them. good enough for rats and rabbits i guess. very small caliber.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic