whats up with ceonews

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

whats up with ceonews

Post by phuketrichard »

yea we all know bad shit sells, in america they always had the yellow journalism papers at the checkout stand with the photos
but really

Just today in my view new threads;
:please:

Homeless Boy Runs Over By a Camry Car
67 Year Old Woman Tortured and Raped For Six Consecutive Year By Her Own Son
Son Hacks His Father To Death
Murder on Street 132.

reading here u would think Cambodia is worse than anyone is letting on.
do u really need focus on the bad shit
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Re: whats up with ceonews

Post by boozyoldman »

Thinking up absurd and preposterous - and menacing - book titles is an amusing hobby for some:

An Outline of Somali Political Thought

Mah Pimp done tole me: An Anthology of Writing by Wimmin of Color

Perhaps readers can invent CEO headlines they would like to see:

Buddhist monk disembowelled by homeless German meth-head

Shy British retiree outed as temple-haunting cat-strangler

Logging magnate runs amok with chainsaw in orphanage

NGO volunteer commits hara-kiri in protest against overpriced marijuana pizzas

... many decades ago, a group of British journalists were asked to try to remember the dullest headline any of them had ever seen ...

The winner was:

Peer*s son unhurt in car crash

- but Peer*s homeless son run over by logging magnate meth-head

would have been far better
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

I have noticed this everywhere though, there is a definite increase in violent crimes being committed or reported and i think it is good for CEONews to keep these articles active and available.

However it would be good to see some positive news stories mixed in with the bad.

just my 2 cents.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Now, now, Richard, don't forget about:

Cambodian 911 Special Forces Paratroopers Crash Landing in Phnom Penh, Cambodia Today:

https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/newswor ... 11355.html

This happened on October 26, 2016.

OR THIS ENTERTAINING TOPIC:

African Woman Goes Batshit Crazy After Being Robbed Near Russian Market in Phnom Penh [VIDEO]

https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/newswor ... 11346.html

OR THIS STORY ABOUT TRUE LOVE:

American Expat Elizabeth Beach Marries Khmerican Exile, Has Kid, And Is Now Trying To Fight His Deportation:

https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/general ... 11330.html

All posted within the last day or so. And don't forget, when we post about happy things or just daily occurrences, there's often a knuckle head or 2 who like to reply, "HOW IS THIS NEWS?" :facepalm:

We make an effort to chase feel-good stories, but the reality is they're often few and far between.

And, as with any discussion forum, fellow members are encouraged to find interesting things themselves and share with everyone. That said, you do often being a lot of interesting stories to CEO, and all of us thank you for that. Image
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I had a pleasant run this morning, it is neither too hot nor too cold, my latest batch of Darjeeling SFTGFOP is very nice and my bowel movements are regular.

Enough good news?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

was seriously talking about this with some friends the other day.
is there more bad shit happening or is it just being reported more?
I tend to think there is more bad shit happening

100 years ago u had no choices, u got up in the morning thinking, time to go to work so i can eat. 85% of the population lived in the countryside ( Thinking SE asia) and worked the family farm.
You had no choices as a kid. Ur dad was a farmer, u became a farmer, ur dad ran a stall in the market, thats what u did, ur dad was a pig farmer,thats what u did.
The family was together, often 3 generation under one roof. grandmother was home to take care of the kids while mom and dad worked. Then kids started to go to school.
More an more are forced to decide what they want to do, to much pressure. Now the kids/young adults have more free time, the breakup of the family. Tv,the internet all show the have nots what they dont have an they want it.

could even compare this to us lucky ones born in the west,those of us over 55 recall dad worked, mom was home when we got off of school,dinner was held when dad got home,
Than dad no longer could provide enough $$ so mom had to work, kids were left alone after school and as kids do, we got in trouble, drank, and got high

Cambodia was affected worse as a whole generation was killed. NO longer could you learn from ur peers, they were gone

Just rambling/ thinking out loud here....
ahhh life was so much easier when i was young
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

The internet cable story was good news!
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

There is an interesting weekly column in "Der Spiegel", a big German magazine, called "Everything was better in the old days". which goes on to bust that myth. In Germany at least statistics for crime, suicides, child labor, women's abuse, etc. are all down significantly. But lets face it: 30 years ago you would not have heard about a murder or a robbery unless it was in your own village. Nowadays, with Internet and FB, pretty much every story will pop up.
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

There is actually more bad shit happening than ceonews is reporting. He manages to translate most of it, but I'd guess their are more 3 or 4 more cases of gruesome murders, rapes and other sad things that happen daily, more than he can translate or keep track of.

There is something very wrong within Cambodian society.
Mr Know It All
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mr Know It All »

more coverage.
in Detroit, where i am from, in the early 80's they increased the size of the Police Force by about 40%.
in the following year reported crime went up 35%.

probably the same amount of crime, just better coverage.

there is a name for it in sociological circles.... i just forgot.
if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic