After a Decade of Listening, a Khmer Pronunciation Guide

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

by Van Roeun and Michelle Vachon | October 26, 2016

After nearly a decade of painstakingly listening to Cambodians —from people in cafes in casual conversation to academics opining in their fields—a pair of linguists has produced a definitive guide to Khmer pronunciation.

For good measure, Jean-Michel Filippi and Hiep Chan Vicheth have also captured Phnom Penh’s unique colloquialism, where a bowl of noodle soup is katieu, not kuytieu, and a population of 2 million has impacted spoken Khmer in myriad ways.

full-article......https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/deca ... de-119745/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
vng
Expatriate

Re: After a Decade of Listening, a Khmer Pronunciation Guide

Post by vng »

Katieu not Kuytieu :lol: គុយទាវ = Kuy-Tieu
:beer:
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I've waited years for something like this. I've steadfastly refused to learn the Khmer alphabet and concentrated on rural spoken language relying on my ears and the help of a few local friends. According to the CD article this dictionary has everything one could hope for. The "proper" pronunciation written in Khmer script and the international alphabet and the common pronunciation as well as the Phnom Penh dialect. Plus there is a Romanized rendering of the spoken word. With the latter and the International phonetic alphabet and a bit of practice thrown in I should enrich my vocabulary quicker. Also as I get older my hearing is beginning to fade but my eyes are holding steady.

So, I went to the website but I couldn't find a link that led to this downloadable dictionary. I would be grateful if someone would post that link on my post here.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
vng
Expatriate

Post by vng »

taabarang wrote:I've waited years for something like this. I've steadfastly refused to learn the Khmer alphabet and concentrated on rural spoken language relying on my ears and the help of a few local friends. According to the CD article this dictionary has everything one could hope for. The "proper" pronunciation written in Khmer script and the international alphabet and the common pronunciation as well as the Phnom Penh dialect. Plus there is a Romanized rendering of the spoken word. With the latter and the International phonetic alphabet and a bit of practice thrown in I should enrich my vocabulary quicker. Also as I get older my hearing is beginning to fade but my eyes are holding steady.

So, I went to the website but I couldn't find a link that led to this downloadable dictionary. I would be grateful if someone would post that link on my post here.
It is just like they way that Khmer Refugees went to the US during the 80s got stuck with the gang and learn street English. Believe me or not those old folk former refugee still living there doesn't know shit about speaking English. Their sons and kids got caught on the street stuck with the gang and the way they speak was like "dom mi gab gab dom gab gab gab" I can barely understand shit they say...
:beer:
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"It is just like they way that Khmer Refugees went to the US during the 80s got stuck with the gang and learn street English..."

Actually, spoken Cambodian in my village is not at all like gangspeak. If you had read the article which touches briefly on the influences of contemporary colloquial Cambodian you would not have made such a far fetched statement.

Anyway, there are no gangs in my village and I'm too old to join any that might form. Once again, I request your help,

"So, I went to the website but I couldn't find a link that led to this downloadable dictionary. I would be grateful if someone would post that link on my post here."
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

taabarang wrote: So, I went to the website but I couldn't find a link that led to this downloadable dictionary. I would be grateful if someone would post that link on my post here.
This is all I could find, not much really. I tried searching UNESCO site, no luck!

The “Khmer Pronouncing Dictionary,” which offers a guide to enunciating both formal and informal Khmer—specifically that variation spoken in the capital—is being made available today on the website for Unesco, the U.N. agency dedicated to cultural protection.

The free online version of the pronunciation guide, found at http://www.unesco.org/phnompenh, includes an introduction in Khmer, English and French, and will also be available in book form at public university libraries.

The above quotes came from the article on Khmer Conservative Media,here: http://khmerconservative.blogspot.com/2 ... .html#more

You might have better luck than me :thumb:
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Kuroneko, I thank you very kindly for your efforts.
I got as far as the website and drew blanks. I'm hoping that one of our stalwart mods with more computer savy will save the day. Maybe UT, he seems curious about Khmer.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Bump, bump I really want to.know that link.
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

Try this link http://www.unesco.org/new/en/phnompenh it is on the unesco page right side under publications
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Post by boozyoldman »

VNG mentions how the Cambodians in the US speak English -

The sad reality was that many (not all) found themselves in places where the English spoken around them was far from Harvard-Yale-Princeton spoken English
and more like the lingo spouted by the black gangbangers who were their near neighbours.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic