Giant Ibis Hit and Run

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Giant Ibis Hit and Run

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

A guy who took Giant Ibis from PP to Kampot posted this on Fb yesterday:

Anyone else been in a minivan which has hit someone ? What to do ?
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Giant Ibis Hit and Run

Post by bolueeleh »

take some photos and blackmail giant ibis for some moolah, free holiday!!! :beer3:
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

In the backpacker community Giant Ibis is held up as something special... something western in an Asian world. When in reality they are just like all the rest. Employing the same drivers, adhering to the same health and safety rules and failing to acknowledge transgressions of their staff.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

^ Yeah, no.

I drive and ride around 40000km per year in Cambodia.

Giant Ibis buses are new, have all lights operating, drivers signal and, generally, drive slower and in a more predictable fashion than, for example GSM, Virak Buntham, CApitol, Lsk buses.

There is a noticeable difference to their fleet and how it is operated, from the perspective of other road users.

Obviously, nothing is perfect, as this story (if true) shows.
obelisks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by obelisks »

Jerry Atrick wrote:^ Yeah, no.

I drive and ride around 40000km per year in Cambodia.

Giant Ibis buses are new, have all lights operating, drivers signal and, generally, drive slower and in a more predictable fashion than, for example GSM, Virak Buntham, CApitol, Lsk buses.

There is a noticeable difference to their fleet and how it is operated, from the perspective of other road users.

Obviously, nothing is perfect, as this story (if true) shows.

I used to think that way and thought they were a cut above the other companies. In the past I have been very satisfied with the standard of driving as they generally adopted a consistent speed. But about a month ago I used them to go from Sihanoukville to Phnom Penh and the driver was atrocious. Travelling far too fast for no real reason and overtaking in the most dangerous places. In fact at the time I was meaning to complain about him but because I got off the bus outside the airport gates rather than in the city I forgot all about it.
and very coincidently this driver also hit a motorbike a few kilometres before reaching the airport and two or three passengers remarked about it but the driver of the bus I was on didn't stop either.
I looked around me and saw most of the other passengers sleeping and thought how on earth could they do that with such reckless driving.and that manager needs to be fired having such a deplorable attitude to say it's normal in Cambodia.
This company has or had a good reputation but they need to be reminded that that reputation can be lost very quickly if they don't keep up their standards.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Ira Hayes hit the nail on the head. It's not just the backpackers who have had a disappointment to accept, but also the flashpacking yuppies of trip advisor.com who have had their icon tarnished.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

We know who owns it so that's the way it is. But so many motos are driven so badly that I would not give a shit either.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

As long as they keep the maniac drivers on the coastal runs, and leave the north to the good ones I'll be happy.
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Post by boozyoldman »

The woman screams and sulks if BOM chooses to ride with any other company.

But are they still the best of abad lot?
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Stopped using them when CityLink started shv-pp in 2014, their VIP buses were crazy nice for 8$, but they pulled out last year. Not surprised as a couple times it was only myself and the gf, probably would cost around 100$ to charter that nice of a bus for the trip.Image
They only do the pp-sr route now it seems. :cry:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic