Reports on Hops Brewery craft beer place?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Reports on Hops Brewery craft beer place?

Post by ExPenhMan »

Saw a couple of positive reports on TOF about this place on 228 at 51. But that was a month ago when they were in soft opening mode. The official opening is mid-October.

Anybody been? I won't be in town till the end of October so am keen and really hoping this place has a nice selection of real beer at affordable prices -- unlike Bangkok where I am now. I recently visited a new import craft beer place in BKK. 250 baht + VAT + SC. Grand total of 292 baht/$9!!!! For a 12 oz/330 ml glass. Absurd.

Linky: https://www.facebook.com/hopsbeercambodia
Sailorman
Expatriate

Re: Reports on Hops Brewery craft beer place?

Post by Sailorman »

I went on their web site and it looks good. Didn't see pictures of any of their equipment.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I've been and it's decent, though not sure I'll be going back if they increase the prices.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Try Monkey Mark's Craft Brewed Beer in Sihanoukville. (Amber Cream Ale.)(Happiness You Can Drink) Its in bottles, but I heard Mark say he is going to have it on tap soon. An Ale and a massive steak dinner, yes heaven on earth. (at least for me.)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Here you go. Grand opening next Friday. Featured in this weekend's PPP:

Phnom Penh gets its first proper biergarten, with imported ‘Hops’
Fri, 7 October 2016
Audrey Wilson

For now, there are just four beers on the menu – a lager, a wheat beer (the most refreshing in the Phnom Penh heat), a red stout and an IPA – and all come in at $3 a glass or under. The first monthly special, a belated Oktoberfest brew, will debut at the grand opening next week, says general manager Pierre-Marin Perez.

Hops also offers plenty of food, from Cambodian classics to German specialties. The price point ($7 and up) seems steep, but the portions are equally hefty: an entrée could easily be split in two. Post Weekend recommends the classic currywurst ($7), in this case served with chips.

The brewery and beer garden is first and foremost targeting those in its immediate surrounds, though beer-lovers from around the city seem to have been the most loyal customers in the trial run.

Hops Brewery and Craft Beer Garden is located at #17 Street 228, and is currently open from 4pm to 10pm daily. The grand opening is set for Friday, October 14.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-weeke ... orted-hops
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Anchor Moy wrote:Here you go. Grand opening next Friday. Featured in this weekend's PPP:

Phnom Penh gets its first proper biergarten, with imported ‘Hops’
Fri, 7 October 2016
Audrey Wilson

For now, there are just four beers on the menu – a lager, a wheat beer (the most refreshing in the Phnom Penh heat), a red stout and an IPA – and all come in at $3 a glass or under. The first monthly special, a belated Oktoberfest brew, will debut at the grand opening next week, says general manager Pierre-Marin Perez.

Hops also offers plenty of food, from Cambodian classics to German specialties. The price point ($7 and up) seems steep, but the portions are equally hefty: an entrée could easily be split in two. Post Weekend recommends the classic currywurst ($7), in this case served with chips.

The brewery and beer garden is first and foremost targeting those in its immediate surrounds, though beer-lovers from around the city seem to have been the most loyal customers in the trial run.

Hops Brewery and Craft Beer Garden is located at #17 Street 228, and is currently open from 4pm to 10pm daily. The grand opening is set for Friday, October 14.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-weeke ... orted-hops

Cool. A craft beer for $3/100 baht? I'll take that over loan-shark prices in Bangkok of 300-400 baht for a craft brew.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Thailand definitely isn't the place for cheap booze, especially beer. I hate it when they make big announcement and places get busy... Selfish I know.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Anchor: Thanks for the info. As I like "craft" beers, I'll try and find that place next time I'm in PP. For now I'll settle for Monkey Mark's limited supply of "Craft Beer." Hopefully he gets in on tap soon.
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

So I visited this establishment a couple of times over the past week or so and found the beer I drank to be pretty good. I had a few of the "Gold Angels" as I tend to prefer lighter beers, Coors Light being the amber nectar of preference, (ok, your opportunity to flame away!) but you can't get that here so..... While I am here, just for background, I imbibe mostly 'Anchor', draft, can or bottle...I am NOT that choosy. just sayin' :beer3: anyways, it's a nice clean place, the Angel I drank was the cheapest on offer (lucky me) but the prices, for brew pubs, did not seem to bad. I did not eat there. I found the food menu short, strange and, in my opinion, to be a bit high-for cambo. the following pics are in no particular sequence. they did have some nice female bartenders that took some time to chat with you etc.. for what that's worth. I talked to a couple of german guys who said they were the brew masters (or such). not an in depth chat but it was nice they stopped by. there was some sort of philharmonic music on the speakers, frankly I'd rather not hear that, but it was ok I guess

Last edited by Bertros on Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

more

A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic