Amendments make Traffic Law more lenient.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Amendments make Traffic Law more lenient.

Post by Anchor Moy »

Sounds good to me. Back to on-the-spot fines, drunk driving and no drivers' licenses. I'm sure we'll all notice a big difference. :thumb:

Council Paves the Way for Lenient Traffic Law

by Khuon Narim | September 26, 2016

The Council of Ministers last week approved amendments to the Traffic Law that include doing away with jail terms for people caught driving drunk, clearing their path to the rubber-stamping National Assembly, which opposition lawmakers are presently boycotting.

Council spokesman Phay Siphan said on Sunday that the body, which effectively serves as Prime Minister HE’s cabinet, approved amendments to eight articles of the law on Friday. He declined to discuss them, however, referring to a summary he posted to his Facebook page the same day.

The amendments would do away with the need for a driver’s license for anyone operating a motorbike with a 125cc engine or smaller. They would also eliminate the possibility of jail time for anyone caught driving drunk or driving without a license or license plate for the first time, leaving only a fine as a possible penalty. Those transferring ownership of a vehicle to someone else would also have unlimited time to complete the fines process instead of the current 90 days...
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/coun ... aw-118433/
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Amendments make Traffic Law more lenient.

Post by hanno »

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

But then killing someone whilst DUI was not punishable in the past if you were a General.....
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

this will put a dent in the pocket books of the cops in snooky for all those renting the little scooters. I rented one a few times but got tired of being stopped at the road blocks so just gave up. yeah, I know, just get the int'l DL...but just too lazy.

cheers

Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

you do not need a license under 125 cc
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

i dont know why barangs think these laws that cambodia pass relate to them

i would imagine that they dont even think about expats when making road laws unless its a law directly made for expats,like no ginger barangs aloud on the road after 7pm

you,as in a white expat, still need a licence to ride a moto
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

SinnSisamouth wrote:i dont know why barangs think these laws that cambodia pass relate to them

i would imagine that they dont even think about expats when making road laws unless its a law directly made for expats,like no ginger barangs aloud on the road after 7pm

it's sort of why I ask. I admit to being a bit ignorant of how laws are applied here. I must attest that my own understanding is that of home (USA) where the standard civil laws (like driving laws) are applied the same, no matter who you are or where you are from, or even if you're legally there or not.

how does one go about finding out which laws apply to farangs then? do you have a reference? how did you find out which ones apply and which ones don't. I ask because you seem to know.

(serious question BTW)

cheers

Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

HE said that Khmer would be exempt from needing a license for bikes smaller than 125cc as it is well known that all Khmer know how to ride a motorbike. This obviously is not true for Barang.......
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

hanno wrote:HE said that Khmer would be exempt from needing a license for bikes smaller than 125cc as it is well known that all Khmer know how to ride a motorbike. This obviously is not true for Barang.......
How did you determine this?
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: RE: Re: Amendments make Traffic Law more lenient.

Post by epidemiks »

SinnSisamouth wrote:i dont know why barangs think these laws that cambodia pass relate to them

frank lee bent wrote:you do not need a license under 125 cc
Afaik, the 125cc thing exists only as Facebook law, the amendments they're talking about will make them law.

Unless they specifically state that foreigners must have a license for 125cc, us long noses won't need a licence for 125s either
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

Luigi wrote:
hanno wrote:HE said that Khmer would be exempt from needing a license for bikes smaller than 125cc as it is well known that all Khmer know how to ride a motorbike. This obviously is not true for Barang.......
How did you determine this?
its a law in their country not ours

you are assuming that if laws are made,like in the west,they apply to everyone.
this is Cambodia

im telling you that if a barang ride without a moto licence they will get stopped and fined no matter what HE has said or what some prakas says and how much you protest.
look at how many barang bitch about it on fb.

I dont need to show evidence of laws stating "not including long nose" or "only khmer"
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic