Sihanoukville Beach Front New Look + Dolphin Shack

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Sihanoukville Beach Front New Look + Dolphin Shack

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

jaynewcastle wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Mr Curious wrote:also gotta wonder why anyone would prefer metal or cement roofing to thatch, thatch is a natural for native feel, hell at least COVER the modern home depot/EVERYONE has it manufactured roofing. Next I'll read that someone hates all the bamboo they see stuff built with. Personally the new look is a bit too cookie cutter for me. I also hate places built ALL in one short time period. I'm afraid one day all you'll see is the brick slathered with cement block houses. I treasure the old wood buildings and French colonials. Hmmm, LIttle Boxes just popped into my head for some reason, haha.
got to agree, i loved the thatch roof shack look, with wood everywhere, not a fan of the tin roof and concrete buildings
was talking about it earlier with my mate actually
Thatch roofs are a much bigger fire hazard, and need more maintenance I guess
tbh you can get fire retardant sprays to treat the thatch to prevent fires, lasts 5-7 years, not sure how available this is in Cambodia though lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

All these efforts, but no Brits coz of the Brexit..... :BangHead:
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

shnoukieBRO wrote:All these efforts, but no Brits coz of the Brexit..... :BangHead:

sooooo...that's a good thing. :stir:

right?

cheers

Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Bertros wrote:
shnoukieBRO wrote:All these efforts, but no Brits coz of the Brexit..... :BangHead:

sooooo...that's a good thing. :stir:

right?

cheers

Bertros :hattip:
Then you will be full of French, Ozzies, and Russians.... :dragonchase:
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Cool boxing guy said, "thatch is a natural for native feel..."

Yeah, I like its looks too, but I'm afraid the thatch that you are familiar with in England is far superior to what is made here. First because of the introduction of new roofing products the skill is being lost. Each s'beou has to be tightly woven to be water resistant. Plus the price has risen considerably. Each meter long piece of thatch (s'boeu) used to cost 1000 riels when I first bought it, four years ago it had risen to $1. Most importantly it rotted quickly and had to be replaced every two years. Now our porch has a zinc(amer eng)roof which is easy to repair. Locals put styrofoam in gasoline to form a pliable putty which quickly dries. Yeah, thatch looks nice, but it's nicer in England.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

taabarang wrote:Cool boxing guy said, "thatch is a natural for native feel..."

Yeah, I like its looks too, but I'm afraid the thatch that you are familiar with in England is far superior to what is made here. First because of the introduction of new roofing products the skill is being lost. Each s'beou has to be tightly woven to be water resistant. Plus the price has risen considerably. Each meter long piece of thatch (s'boeu) used to cost 1000 riels when I first bought it, four years ago it had risen to $1. Most importantly it rotted quickly and had to be replaced every two years. Now our porch has a zinc(amer eng)roof which is easy to repair. Locals put styrofoam in gasoline to form a pliable putty which quickly dries. Yeah, thatch looks nice, but it's nicer in England.
yeah, even in England it is nearly all but now a distant memory apart from some old cottages out in the country
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

One other drawback-rats loved to make their nests and raise their offspring in it.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

On the plus side, these locally made grass roofs suppress the sound of a heavy rain. Can't say the same for the zincalume or tin roofs.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

since we are on the topic of roofing, just install the roofing below and be done with it

Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Hilaryclintonmaxipad
Tourist

Post by Hilaryclintonmaxipad »

Coming from australia beaches and sun are just normal it realy takes soneone from the northern hemesphere to appriciate sihnoukvilles beach chairs.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic