9 People Killed and Several More Injured in Battambang When Minibus Crashes With Truck

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

9 People Killed and Several More Injured in Battambang When Minibus Crashes With Truck

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Battambang: A minivan carrying several passengers has crashed into a truck on National Route 5, killing at least 9 people and injuring several others, according to Huy Bunleng, a local reporter.

SLIGHTLY GRAPHIC IMAGES:
Spoiler:

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 9 People Killed and Several More Injured in Battambang When Minibus Crashes With Truck

Nine Dead in Battambang Bus Crash

by Phan Soumy | August 30, 2016

Seven tourists and two drivers were killed in Battambang province on Monday when a truck attempted to overtake a car at high speed and slammed head-on into a Mekong Express minibus.

The minibus was carrying 11 passengers to Phnom Penh when the cargo truck veered into its path on National Road 5 in Mong Russei district, said San Kimsan, chief of the provincial police’s traffic bureau.

“At that time, it was raining and the truck was overtaking another car while accelerating,” Mr. Kimsan said, adding that the crash occurred at about 3:30 p.m.

Because the truck was a right-hand drive model—the legality of which remains ambiguous—its driver had to steer all the way into the oncoming lane to see the traffic ahead, he said.

The head-on collision completely destroyed the front end of the Mekong Express bus, leaving mechanical wreckage spilling from the driver’s compartment, photographs from the scene show.

full-story.....https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/nine ... sh-117299/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 9 People Killed and Several More Injured in Battambang When Minibus Crashes With Truck

Dead Victims of the van crash in Battambang

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Here is she.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Another dead victim of the crash.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

‘Brilliant’ Law Student Among Crash Victims

by Phan Soumy | August 31, 2016 | អានជាភាសាខ្មែរ

The owner of a truck that crashed into a minibus in Battambang province, killing nine Cambodians, including an accomplished law student, was being sought by police yesterday as relatives arranged funerals.

The head-on crash occurred during a rainstorm on Monday when a truck veered into the opposite lane in Mong Russei district, colliding with a Mekong Express minibus headed to Phnom Penh, said San Kimsan, the provincial traffic police chief.

Responsibility for the crash lay firmly with the truck, which had no license plate, and authorities were searching for its owner, he said. The truck’s driver was among the dead. The minibus flipped into a ditch on the side of the road after the collision, trapping the wounded.

Relatives removed the deceased’s bodies yesterday from the Kon Klong pagoda in Prey Touch commune, Mr. Kimsan said.

full-story....https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/bril ... ms-117376/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Two fatal faults - the truck was right-hand drive so the driver couldn't see to overtake, and the Mekong Express was going too fast. Both drivers should have been taking extra care due to heavy rain. Be careful on the roads.

Fatal crash puts light on right-hand steering loophole
Wed, 31 August 2016
Erin Handley and Khouth Sophak Chakrya

After a tragic crash claimed the lives of nine people in Battambang on Monday, attention has fallen on a recent legal loophole that allows potentially dangerous vehicles with right-hand steering to remain on Cambodian roads.

Nine people were killed in the collision between a Mekong Express minibus and a truck with right-hand steering, which is designed to be driven on the left-hand side of the road.

Battambang traffic police chief San Kimsan said the truck was mostly to blame – explaining that because it was a right-hand-driving vehicle, it had to veer all the way into a lane of oncoming cars in order to be able to see the traffic while overtaking.

However, he added, the Mekong Express bus was driving at a speed of more than 100 kilometres per hour, which also contributed to the deaths...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/f ... g-loophole

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Is it just me or does anyone else find CEO news posting those Facebook ''obituaries'' out of line?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: 9 People Killed and Several More Injured in Battambang When Minibus Crashes With Truck

Post by General Mackevili »

kiwiincambodia wrote:Is it just me or does anyone else find CEO news posting those Facebook ''obituaries'' out of line?
I can't see anything wrong with it. I think it's technically better than posting the images from the smash-up.

What's "out of line" in this case?
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

I don't know, I agree its better than photos form the accident just for some reason it doesn't sit well. Not sure what it is. I know its Facebook and everything is ''open for discussion'' but something just doesn't feel right about it, just my honest opinion.

As you were......
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic