Exotic pet laws?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
wwguigrh
Tourist

Exotic pet laws?

Post by wwguigrh »

Are there any laws in Cambodia that regulate or prohibit the ownership of exotic pets? In the United States and Canada, each state/province has a different set of laws, and some states/provinces severely restrict what kinds of species a person can own. California, for example, bans nearly every kind of conceivable species.

With this being the case, does anyone know if there are any laws regulating or prohibiting exotic pet ownership in Cambodia? The species I am wondering about are monitor lizards, snakes (such as boa constrictors and Burmese pythons), and wallabies. Is it possible to import any of these species from overseas? (For example, buying a monitor lizard from a breeder in the United States and then taking that animal to Cambodia).

If importing these species is implausible, then does anyone know of any reptile breeders or wallaby breeders within Cambodia that sell these animals? As I said, I'm wondering if even owning these pets is allowed in the first place in Cambodia -- perhaps someone knows someone living in Cambodia who owns a pet boa constrictor, or maybe there's a reptile store in Cambodia that I'm unaware of.

Regarding potential importation, I've done Internet searches regarding these species, but have found nothing. The only thing I found was the website which handles animal importation in general, the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, but their website is in Khmer so I couldn't read it.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Exotic pet laws?

Post by John Bingham »

I don't know about imports, but it is illegal to keep wild animals here. I knew one neighbor who had a huge Burmese Python but he had caught it when it was very young (his house is next to a swamp).
Silence, exile, and cunning.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Wallabies are my favourite reptiles :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Geckos are legal here just can't cage them though only free range allowed. They make wonderful pets and are inexpensive to keep.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

rozzieoz wrote:Wallabies are my favourite reptiles :)

Even if you were allowed to, why would you want to import a wallaby to Cambodia ? :popcorn:

edit: Particularly, as elsewhere on this forum you say this :
As I said, I was planning on driving a Cambodian-plated car from Cambodia, through Thailand, and then onto Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia (as that is the only overland way to get to these countries).
Are you planning on doing the trip with a wallaby, a boa constrictor and a large monitor lizard ? :shock: Trip report please. Lol.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

if one can get away with murder, whats a few exotic animal laws?
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Post by mammothboy2 »

Are you planning on doing the trip with a wallaby, a boa constrictor and a large monitor lizard ? :shock: Trip report please. Lol.

Add in a methpat and a ladyboy and this would be a brilliant comedy movie
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

rozzieoz wrote:Wallabies are my favourite reptiles :)

Please tell, what makes a Wallaby a reptile ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

It was a joke lol!

Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

rozzieoz wrote:It was a joke lol!

:plus1:

:Yahoo!: :ROFL: :clap: :whistler:

The joke is on Duncan. :BangHead:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic